Buying A New Pick Up

I want to get a new pick up and will put down up to 50%.

I assume that this will need to be purchased/financed in my partner's name ?

I don't need 4 doors, the 'extra' space in the back is better for me. I quite like the compromise of the Vigo 'smart cab'.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations for 'deals' at the moment.

No replies :huh:,

Deals are everywhere if tackled right, so...................BUT, the right motor is the important thing.

OK, my two penny worth if it were me. DON'T be taken in by anything in a show room under the fluorescent lights, even l look good under those :lol:.

Do a tour of the big boy manufacturers main agents. I did. Take a good looooooong look at the engineering, lines, panel fit, knuckle the panels for sound, open a shut the doors, many times. If you go for the 2+2 suicide doors, look at the way each manufacturer has achieved their goal, hinge wise.

I know my decision, from a good hard look but have been slagged off here for my points and eventual decision on manufacturer, but don't care. Good luck chum. :) .

Deals are everywhere if tackled right, so...................BUT, the right motor is the important thing.

OK, my two penny worth if it were me. DON'T be taken in by anything in a show room under the fluorescent lights, even l look good under those :lol:.

Do a tour of the big boy manufacturers main agents. I did. Take a good looooooong look at the engineering, lines, panel fit, knuckle the panels for sound, open a shut the doors, many times. If you go for the 2+2 suicide doors, look at the way each manufacturer has achieved their goal, hinge wise.

I know my decision, from a good hard look but have been slagged off here for my points and eventual decision on manufacturer, but don't care. Good luck chum. :) .

I am surprised that the lights make you look good Transam - they don't work for me ! :D

I am happy to receive your personal recommendation (either on here or by PM) because I asked for advice.

I am surprised that the lights make you look good Transam - they don't work for me ! :D

I am happy to receive your personal recommendation (either on here or by PM) because I asked for advice.

OK, what is in your mind. Something with greater ground clearance like the prerunner, or 4x4, auto or manual, and does the price difference make a difference ? :)

You can have the car financed and registered in farang name.

janverbeem, please elaborate as this is contrary to ALL the comments I have received so far.

ALL the comments you've received so far are wrong.

ANY foreigner here on a retirement/educational/long stay or work visa can have a vehicle registered in their name provided they own it.

"Normally" a work permit is required to obtain financing, but you can work around this on a retirement/educational/long stay visa. I did. Its mostly a matter of how much down and how much risk they see you as.

OK, what is in your mind. Something with greater ground clearance like the prerunner, or 4x4, auto or manual, and does the price difference make a difference ? :)

I don't need 4 doors, the 'extra' space in the back is better for me. I quite like the compromise of the Vigo 'smart cab'.

Preference for automatic but not essential.

Price does make a difference in that I would rather pay 675,000 than 875,000 - value is a factor but I appreciate that you often get what you pay for.

I intend to put down circa 25% with the balance over 4 years after which I am likely to change.

This vehicle will undertake social runs plus transportation of goods from Pattaya to Buriram. I expect to be moving building materials at some point + household effects. (hence a liking for a larger bed and perhaps a space cab.

Thanks

I would say have a drive of them all before you make your decision.

All depends on whether you are bothered about what you own, practicability come in many forms in the truck market.

What you started out with saying about a compromise of the Vigo 'smart cab' sounds good to me.

I have said several times I drove all the trucks of the level that I wanted in 2005 and was left in no doubt.

That was then so I would think other manufacturers have done since and of now have brought there products up in line,

maybe ?? :rolleyes:

Price does make a difference in that I would rather pay 675,000 than 875,000 - value is a factor but I appreciate that you often get what you pay for.

I intend to put down circa 25% with the balance over 4 years after which I am likely to change.

This vehicle will undertake social runs plus transportation of goods from Pattaya to Buriram. I expect to be moving building materials at some point + household effects. (hence a liking for a larger bed and perhaps a space cab.

Thanks

1. With financing in Thailand don't be surprised if you need more than 25% depending on credit factors.

2. If future resale value is of concern, and it should be given the high price of used cars in Thailand, consider the 4 door models sell really well used, as do automatics and 4wd's. Toyota has a great resale value as well.. and if you want an automatic that leaves you with the top model of each manufacturer.

3. I had a space cab.. now I have a double cab (4 door). Funny thing is, the same number of family members seem to cram themselves into whatever space is behind me. I'd get a single cab but I know they're just sit on the roof..

4. Prerunners are becoming popular and are a great way to save a few baht over a 4wd.

5. Toyota.. very hard to beat. G model gives you the top trim, automatic, biggest engine, etc..

janverbeem, please elaborate as this is contrary to ALL the comments I have received so far.

ANY foreigner here on a retirement/educational/long stay or work visa can have a vehicle registered in their name provided they own it.

"Normally" a work permit is required to obtain financing, but you can work around this on a retirement/educational/long stay visa. I did. Its mostly a matter of how much down and how much risk they see you as.

Almost correct............Any foreigner on any kind of visa can have a car registered in his name.You just have to get a certificate of residence from your local immigration.

To get a finance you will need at least a non-immigrant visa and a Thai person who signs as guarantor for the finance.My experience is that it isn't even important if this person has a job as I received 2 leasings with 2 different guarantors who didn't have a job or even had a nail to scratch their a_se.

Almost correct............Any foreigner on any kind of visa can have a car registered in his name.You just have to get a certificate of residence from your local immigration.

To get a finance you will need at least a non-immigrant visa and a Thai person who signs as guarantor for the finance.My experience is that it isn't even important if this person has a job as I received 2 leasings with 2 different guarantors who didn't have a job or even had a nail to scratch their a_se.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can get a CR on a tourist visa. Maybe each embassy is different, but I was at the US embassy last week and I saw them flip someones passport to the visa page and refuse a CR because there was no long term visa, only a tourist visa.

If you have a work visa you won't need a guarantor. Even with a retirement visa, if the down is high enough and they like your other credit factors (how long you've been here, where you live, your home (yep, they sent an "loan officer" to my home to take an application, but what she was really doing was adding up the value of my furnishings and finding out how much I paid in rent), you can get a loan without a guarantor. I did. I'm married to a Thai woman but refused to have her sign for me. It's ridiculous, I'm the one with the income and that's what I told the bank manager when I walked in his office and questioned him refusing my loan. He changed his decision on the spot telling me most foreigners don't have enough guts to walk into his office. You have to insist, because they'll tell you (especially the lower level employees), you must have a guarantor, because it benefits them, the problem is its not true.. there is no difference in interest rates either way.

I thought you wanted recommendations on what truck to buy If you finance the remainder after deposit on finance what does it matter whether it is in your partners name or not I do not understand all this paranoia.

If you trust your partner do it if you do not then get it in your name if you are in a position to do so.

I thought you wanted recommendations on what truck to buy If you finance the remainder after deposit on finance what does it matter whether it is in your partners name or not I do not understand all this paranoia.

If you trust your partner do it if you do not then get it in your name if you are in a position to do so.

Where did you perceive any paranoia ?

By stating my (previous) understanding that I could not get finance then the only route available to me was to buy in my partners name (unless I wanted to pay cash). That is not paranoia and the comment brought some very useful comments from a number of posters - for which I thank them.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can get a CR on a tourist visa. Maybe each embassy is different, but I was at the US embassy last week and I saw them flip someones passport to the visa page and refuse a CR because there was no long term visa, only a tourist visa.

I get a certificate of residence at the local immigration office,cost 200 baht,nothing to do with my embassy.

By stating my (previous) understanding that I could not get finance then the only route available to me was to buy in my partners name (unless I wanted to pay cash). That is not paranoia and the comment brought some very useful comments from a number of posters - for which I thank them.

Oh well !! Ok then recommendations !!! Vigo's are still the best.:rolleyes:

Edited by Kwasaki

This man CAN trust his partner, and could probably buy and sell a lot of people on tv..................trust me it aint a money issue.......dont put all your eggs in one basket, i believe he would say.......i would plump for a dmax, thai people prefer those to vigo`s so after time maybe more chance of a sale second hand....or a NV (joke big boy) xx

note,,perceive....he even gets his i before e except after c .....

Edited by rizla

I get a certificate of residence at the local immigration office,cost 200 baht,nothing to do with my embassy.

On a tourist visa?

Tell me more about this CR from immigration. So far I've had to pay $50 each as the US Embassy and they're starting to add up. Are the immigration CR's good for buying/selling cars? Getting a DL?

Oh well !! Ok then recommendations !!! Vigo's are still the best.:rolleyes:

I tend to agree with this. And who says Thai's prefer Dmax's and they have a higher resale value? Who are all those people out there driving the zillions of Vigo's? Must be the Japanese..

I'll be selling a top of the line Vigo G 4door/4wd/auto/black with 16,xxxkm, serviced every 5000km, waxed each month, with an upgraded stereo/dvd/speakers/sub and electrically operated (lifted) hard bed cap, within the next 30 days or so.. I won't be sure on the exact date of sale for about two weeks. It won't be cheap, the high end of what they go for. But my last two vehicles sold here in less than 8 hours of the ad going live because they're exceptionally well maintained, a scratch or scuff is never tolerated, and the service history paperwork is all there. It might be more truck than what you're after.. but if not PM me if interested.

Edited by bkksw

These 'which pickup to buy' topics are usually good fun and TV seem to have them about 2 or 3 times a year.

Not to sure about deals but if you go to Toyota for example they will give you a printed sheet with all the models, prices and finance info.

The one I have is for 15/20/25% deposit down and monthly payments - 48/60/72 months.

We have just ordered a Vigo Hilux double cab Auto 3L, the normal size one. They have upgraded that range a little, for example it now has two airbags in the front!.

The dealer has agreed to take in my 4 year old Navara Kingcab and I was happy with the price considering it had a fairly hard life.

Toyota use Ayudha Auto Leasing for the finance and we had a visit to the house from two young men with all the paperwork to sign, A garrantor was not required as the wife owns some farm land, plus the land our house is on. They did want to see the deeds for the house land.

Though the truck will be in the wifes name and I have no probs with that, this is our 3rd pick up. the finance guys wanted photo copies of my passport page and bank book, (plus a photo of the ATM tree in the garden), they know who will be paying those monthly payments!!.

Toyota dealer telephoned a week later to say our finance had been approved and delivery time for the new truck is 6 -8 weeks.

Another point with what to choose is how long will you keep it, ie: do you change your motor every 3 years say, cos if kept for short a period then virtually anything would fit the bill for me as long as it was auto. But if you want a reliable ride for a long period with the spec you want then the only real choice is the Prerunner Smart Cab, but as l recall does not have an auto option :huh: .

As l said in my original post, go to the main show rooms and spend a lot of time looking at stuff nobody looks at. On the smart cab take a good look at how they have engineered the suicide doors, hinges etc, so they will not rattle in a few years time, then look at the oppositions. If the bed size is not paramount l would have the 4 door with the auto trans, really is a civilized ride for a pickup.

If your near me in N.E. you can gladly give my 4x4 auto Vigo a blast round the block. :D

Thank you to everyone for some very useful comments.

rizla - you will understand why I gave the Nissan dealer a wide-berth :whistling:

Rightly (or wrongly) I have funneled it down to:-

A: Ford Ranger Open Cab 2.5 XLS

B: Toyota Pre-Runner Smart Cab 2.5 E

Instinct is pushing me to the Toyota but Ford are trying hard with their 10% down and 0% interest rate.

Ultimately, the missus will decide - it will be her car (and her debt!) :)

Note - both dealers said finance was not available for Falangs. I suspect that may well be laziness on their part.

Thank you to everyone for some very useful comments.

rizla - you will understand why I gave the Nissan dealer a wide-berth :whistling:

Rightly (or wrongly) I have funneled it down to:-

A: Ford Ranger Open Cab 2.5 XLS

B: Toyota Pre-Runner Smart Cab 2.5 E

Instinct is pushing me to the Toyota but Ford are trying hard with their 10% down and 0% interest rate.

Ultimately, the missus will decide - it will be her car (and her debt!) :)

Note - both dealers said finance was not available for Falangs. I suspect that may well be laziness on their part.

Cool, hope she's read our posts too. :lol:

I looked at the Ford Ranger double cab, they have an auto version too. However the new Ford Ranger (T6) will be here this year, I read that Ford may have one ready for the Bangkok motor show.

Toyota,Isuzu and Nissan dealers are all in the next town to us - 25 km away and the nearest Ford dealer over 140 km away!, though 0% interest is tempting.

I have a feeling that Ford will be doing their best to sell off any remaining Rangers in stock, the Thai daily papers (Thai Rath) have had some full page colour advertisments on the Ranger.

Edited by phutoie2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Says it all mate - don't be a fool - don't ever buy a farmers daughter , working as god knows what a new pick-up unless you have money to lose.

here you say you'll pay 50% deposit - other thread you won't pay 30%.

You have problems.

Again - this vehicle will NEVER be yours - enjoy it while you can.

I was once told if you intend carrying 1000 pineapples or 1000 coconuts maybe even 20 Burmese workers then a pick-up is for you and I must say after buying a pick-up when I first come to Thailand I have to agree, now have a lovely car. sorry if this is not helpfull lol