If I Go Bankrupt Will I Still Be Able To Get A Visa For Thailand?

Hi all,

can anyone tell me if i declare myself bankrupt will it affect my imigration status.

I travel to thailand regularaly as i have a GF and son who live there,

But i have been told from citizens advise i would not be able to obtain a visa while bankrupt,

but the thai consulate say they have never heard of anything like this, and could not confirm if true or false and told me to

contact uk imigration who told me to contact the consulate??

Could somebody please help me with this issue or if they have been in a similar situation.:blink:

thanks in advance

Edited by zak

No but have been thinking maybe they stamp your passport or flag the passport number

i might just be paranoid about it but but dont want to go through with bankrupcy if it will affect

me traveling to thailand.

thanks

Maybe the money traveling to Thailand would be better spent on the debts incurred and that should be your PRIMARY concern. Though I do appreciate your wanting to see your son and GF, it's a tough one that...

No but have been thinking maybe they stamp your passport or flag the passport number

i might just be paranoid about it but but dont want to go through with bankrupcy if it will affect

thanks

Personally, I cannot imagine that it would be a barrier to you travelling to Thailand and I am surprised the Thai consulate have no experience of this. Then again, there is no way they can tell if you are an undischarged bankrupt from your application.

Bankruptcy per-se, does not prevent you from travelling.

From what i understand the problem may be that the courts can confiscate your passport to prevent you from leaving your own country whilst there are outstanding debts or matters before the courts. Nothing to do with your destination .

Edited by xen

If you are a Brit try the Government advice line. I find all these Government Departments pretty sh$t hot now on general advice - way better than they were 10 years ago. They will deal with you on a no names basis if that's what you want.

The Insolvency Service helpline 0845 602 9848

thanks

Personally, I cannot imagine that it would be a barrier to you travelling to Thailand and I am surprised the Thai consulate have no experience of this. Then again, there is no way they can tell if you are an undischarged bankrupt from your application.

Bankruptcy per-se, does not prevent you from travelling.

Could not agree more. You have options depending on your length of stay.

Bankruptcy does not prevent you getting a visa for Thailand or entry into Thailand if you have money.

It might be possible that a curator confiscates your passport to prevent you traveling abroad, depending on UK-laws.

If declaring bankruptcy you should normally not have enough money to pay for a ticket to Thailand and your stay here.

As a retired Insolvency Practitioner in the UK l dealt with bankruptcies and at no time did it require me to obtain a bankrupts passport or could l prevent them from travelling abroad. Only in extreme circumstances involving a bankrupts criminal activity could l as a Trustee in Bankruptcy apply to the Courts for the surrender of a passport and an order for the individual to be prevented from travelling abroad. To the OP if you have not been involved in any such criminal activity you are safe to travel to see your wife and son as bankruptcy should have little effect on you. Co-operate with your Trustee in bankrutcy and you could apply for a discharge after 1 year depending on the amount of debt involved.Good luck

My friend recently went bankrupt and she had no problem getting a visa.She is from the UK,

It's not the visa that is the problem. Many countries impose travel conditions on their citizens when they are bankrupt. Britain may be different but it's likely that you'll need get special permission from the trustee to leave the country, but should not be a problem as you said you have family in thailand.

The confusion here in my opinion is travelling and emigrating, IF you were trying to emmigrate to say Austalia you would have a BIG problem, travelling is not a problem and the financial status is not questioned for travel only for permenant stay applications ie emmigrating to certain countries.

The Citizens advice people will tell you that as they would not encourage people to run away from their responsibilities/debts but stay and sort it out, which is easy for them to say but not always easy dependant on your circumstances and maybe some heavy duty collectors are after you.

You should be fine, get the ticket and take off.

Edited by CharlieH