Largest Trees, Bamboo And Plants In Thailand? How Big, And Where Are They?

Hello all,

Hopefully you can assist me in my "quest" to purchase Phyllostachys mannii 'Decora' aka Beautiful Bamboo in Chaiypahum/KhonKaen area. We're hoping to purchase many plants to use a border fencing. My wife has asked several "nurseries" in KK but they seem to either not understand what we're seeking or are unfamiliar to "Running Bamboo." Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. p.s. I'm just starting to learn a/b growing/planting things. :-) Took a while but.....

Cheers,

I guess you know why it is called 'running bamboo'? Another name might be 'invasive' bamboo. Most of the tropical bamboos just pachymorph, they grow in a clump. Phyllostachys are all (as far as I know) leptomorph. In practise this means that four or five years after planting, you will have roots, rhizomes working their way into your foundations. into neighbours gardens (up to 5 meters a year in Switzerland), up chimneys, down sewers. This Phyllo reaches 6 meters height also, meaning that you will have overhanging branches.

You will need a rhizome barrier, at least 80cm deep, the bamboo won't like this.

I was a big cultivator of bamboo and we dug up the Phyllos in the nursery every two years to replant. Good business as we had a team constantly repairing the damage caused by the stuff we sold. Nobody would listen when I told them about these problems.

There are so many attractive bamboos native to Thailand, why not go for one of those?

I know only a little a/b bamboo - or plants etc. We live in a very rural area. Running bamboo might not be problematic for a long time/distance. What we're primarily interested in is a fast growing/attractive security barrier between properties. Large livestock are now restricted from trespassing, but dogs, chickens and two legged "types" feel free to roam on our property. Any other suggestion for accomplishing this goal would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to post your information/knowledge.

All species of the genus Phyllostachys are invasive bamboos (so-called runners). I do not recommend to plant them out on an open site where you hardy can keep control over them. Further, I would not plant them for the following reasons:

a) Phyllostachys species have a leptomorph (monopodial) rhizome forming culms of an open grove habit over the years. You can easily walk through this grove. It does not form an impenetrable barrier.

B) Phyllostachys species are native to regions of warm-temperate climates. They do not grow well in tropical climates. They do not grow well in Chiang Mai, and will possible not do well in Khon Kaen either.

c) Even if you could grow Phyllostachys in the Khon Kaen area, they prefer a moisture-retentive soil throughout year, and can hardly deal with a pronounced dry season of Isaan.

There are several native bamboos with pachymorph rhizome (so-called clumpers) which can form over the years an impennetrable barrier against men and lifestock. There are many Royal Project sites for agriculture and forestry throughout Thailand. You can obtain there bamboo plants for free or at low prices. Information on bamboos can be found in the website of the Chiang Mai Bamboo Nursery, and in Bamboos of Thailand.