Guinness

uptheos

St Patrick's day will soon be here and for those who celebrate it, I'm sure there will be several jars of the black stuff consumed.

I came across this article today, that states Guinness certainly tastes better in Ireland and gives several reasons why.

For those of you who are Guinness experts, I was wondering if you know what makes a good pint of Guinness and have you actually tried a pint in Dublin's fair city.......is it better than in Chiang Mai and why/why not?

Personally, I hate the stuff and it wouldn't taste good anywhere! bah.gif

http://www.dailymail...land-world.html

Edited by uptheos

I'm like you UTO. I thank it sucks.But for those that do partake, I good friend of mine IRISH, refuse to drink anywhere but back in the emerald isles. His opinion is that it is not the same outside Ireland.

Well I have heard this from Irish friends of mine and a couple of Brits, but I wondered if there was much truth to it.

The article I refer to States:

'In Irish pubs you can order a Guinness knowing that the tap has been flowing all day, so you'll never get a pint which has been sat in the pipes for an hour. Whereas in London (or elsewhere I guess), it could have been there all day.

Edited by uptheos

I've drank in dublin before and the best pint of the black stuff was on the train station bar. Not only was it the cheapest (which helps) but the service was the best as well.

Drinking around the main areas in Dublin saw a whopping 9 Euro price tag on two pints and this was about four years ago now!

The Guinness in CM is better in some places than others but on average it's good in general.

As for not knowing if it's been sat in the taps all day, if your beer lines are clean and cold it won't make a great deal of difference to the taste that you would notice anyway.

The same also applies to any draught product when you think about it though.

As for the "it tastes better in Ireland" mentality ..... I think it's just that, the mentality of it!

:burp:

I've drank in dublin before and the best pint of the black stuff was on the train station bar. Not only was it the cheapest (which helps) but the service was the best as well.

Drinking around the main areas in Dublin saw a whopping 9 Euro price tag on two pints and this was about four years ago now!

The Guinness in CM is better in some places than others but on average it's good in general.

As for not knowing if it's been sat in the taps all day, if your beer lines are clean and cold it won't make a great deal of difference to the taste that you would notice anyway.

As for the "it tastes better in Ireland" mentality ..... I think it's just that, the mentality of it!

Thanks for that Mr C and as you say it could be the mentality of it.

Therefore, does it taste better in say; O'Malleys?

There must be an Irish population in Chiang Mai - I wonder where they will consider the best place to get a pint on St Patrick's day?

There must be an Irish population in Chiang Mai - I wonder where they will consider the best place to get a pint on St Patrick's day?

The one Irishman I know in CM will be in his on bar.:lol::burp: and it is NOT O'Malleys.

The one Irishman I know in CM will be in his on bar.:lol::burp: and it is NOT O'Malleys.

Apart from the obvious two, are there any other Irish bars for St Patrick's day?

I have drunk Guinness, in Ireland, brewed in Ireland and it was lovely.

I have never had a decent pint of it anywhere else.

The nearest I have come is a small Irish bar in Paddington, which used to do a decent pint of Murphys.

The "mock-mick" pubs and bars, surviving off the back of the huge Guinness advertising budget, are truly awful.

I have drunk Guinness in Chiang Mai, and the best I can say is that it is a change.

Rgds

I have drunk Guinness, in Ireland, brewed in Ireland and it was lovely.

Maybe this is why I don't like it, I have never had a pint in Ireland only in UK.

Although I visited there, my taste for Guinness was such that I didn't even bother with trying a pint.........but I didn't mind a few Jameson or Powers whiskies.

My Irish friend went in the un irish pub last year and was so hacked off as he was the only irish person in there so if anyone knows of any others please let me know so i can tell him .

or someone could make a facebook group Irish people to meet in chiang mai on paddys day.

My Irish friend went in the un irish pub last year and was so hacked off as he was the only irish person in there so if anyone knows of any others please let me know so i can tell him .

or someone could make a facebook group Irish people to meet in chiang mai on paddys day.

Right - Although it's called The Irish Pub I too have never seen many Irish people in there, unless they are Irish tourists drawn there by the name.. I think it's called that because it was started up by an Irish lady and although it changed hands it retained it's name, but added UN on the front presumably to show it is not a genuine Irish pub.

Although I'm not Irish, I too would like to attend somewhere typically Irish. My sisters (deceased) birthday was on St Patrick's day and when we were together in the UK always used to go up Holloway Road and Archway to celebrate and boy oh boy could those Irish guys and gals knock back the Guinness, but it was always good 'crack'..........fond memories. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

I worked in Ireland at regular intervals in the 70's-80's both in Cork and Dublin. Guinness is not my regular tipple but my word it does taste so much better in Ireland and leads one to want to drink more of it than one would in the UK.

Apart from the obvious two, are there any other Irish bars for St Patrick's day?

FWIW the Full Moon 2 on Loi Khro is owned by an Irishman.:D:drunk:

I am 100% Irish and now live in Chiang Mai .The Guinness in the Red Lion @ B180 ,and at O Malleys @B190 ( a pint glass ) is excellent .Keeps its head till the bottom of the glass.

About 9 months ago Guinness stopped supplying Guinness to Thailand from Malaysia .After around 3 months they resumed supplying Thailand direct from the Dublin brewery .The Guinness you get in Chiang Mai now is the real Macoy !

By the way there is a St Patricks day parade down in Pattaya this year ,organised for charity .It starts from Soi 4 Beach road .Full details on the Pattaya forum .As it happens i am going down to Pattaya tomorrom so shall be there for it . :D

I am 100% Irish and now live in Chiang Mai .The Guinness in the Red Lion @ B180 ,and at O Malleys @B190 ( a pint glass ) is excellent .Keeps its head till the bottom of the glass.

About 9 months ago Guinness stopped supplying Guinness to Thailand from Malaysia .After around 3 months they resumed supplying Thailand direct from the Dublin brewery .The Guinness you get in Chiang Mai now is the real Macoy !

By the way there is a St Patricks day parade down in Pattaya this year ,organised for charity .It starts from Soi 4 Beach road .Full details on the Pattaya forum .As it happens i am going down to Pattaya tomorrom so shall be there for it . :D

Arthur Daley 100% Irish?........nah he's a cockney. wink.gif

I'm jealous.:lol:

I'm jealous.:lol:

You just toddle off and follow the Xmas lights down the Hang Dong Rd. rolleyes.gif

Guinness isnt really my drink. A few places in Dublin though sold a really good pint - Kehoes, Mcdaids and The Old Stand were notables. Hmmm bringing back fond memories - I'd love another night out there now. Best pint I ever had though was in the Shannon Airport departure lounge.

As for the old wives tales about Guinness tasting different outside of Ireland - thats because (I think) it is made differently outside Ireland. They use a different recipe for different markets - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_Brewery#Varieties

Having said that if Thaifan2 is correct and the Guinness at the Red Lion is the real deal I might have to pop in there for a sample sometime. Thanks for the info.

This idea that you can only drink Guinness in Ireland is classic hogwash. The Guinness brewery in Park Royal, NW London, closed down in 2005 and since then all G drank in the UK comes straight from Dublin. Having said that, the original St James' Gate Brewery in Dublin is gradually being superseded as a giant new brewery comes on line outside Dublin, so even the Dublin connection is getting a little stretched. Many of the overseas breweries have also been closed down and production centralized in the Dublin breweries.

The quality of the pint has far more to do with clean pipes and being poured slowly, not geography.

The best Guinness story comes from Jamaica, where the G is truly great:

U2 were in Jamaica recording an album. They were in a restaurant and one of the waiters noticed the Irish accents but didn't realise exactly who they were. He allegedly said to Bono:

"Do you know where they make the best Guinness in the world?"

"Yeah, Dublin of course."

"No. Right here in Jamaica"

"You've got to be joking."

"I bet you $10 that it is. Come with me to my local tonight and I'll show you."

So the waiter, still unaware of who they were, took them to his local drinking establishment. To much staring and open-mouths Bono ordered a pint of Guinness and took a sip. A long pause followed.

"F------g hell, that's the best pint of Guinness I've ever had!"

And now Bono swears by Jamaican Guinness.

Probably the truth behind the story is the fact that Jamaica sells a heck of a lot of G Foreign Extra, a proper beer weighing in at 7.5% proof and not widely found.

While I'm in the process of popping illusions, many a well-lubricated Irishman or American wannabe version, weeping gently into their pint of G, singing Danny Boy and cursing the Brit oppressor, overlooks 3 important facts.

1. Arthur Guinness came from solid Northern Ireland (part of the UK) Protestant roots
  2. Guinness is a British owned and listed company (now part of Diageo)
  3. Danny Boy was written by an Englishman

So on that merry note, Sláinte!, and have a great Paddy's Day

This idea that you can only drink Guinness in Ireland is classic hogwash. The Guinness brewery in Park Royal, NW London, closed down in 2005 and since then all G drank in the UK comes straight from Dublin. Having said that, the original St James' Gate Brewery in Dublin is gradually being superseded as a giant new brewery comes on line outside Dublin, so even the Dublin connection is getting a little stretched. Many of the overseas breweries have also been closed down and production centralized in the Dublin breweries.

The quality of the pint has far more to do with clean pipes and being poured slowly, not geography.

U2 were in Jamaica recording an album. They were in a restaurant and one of the waiters noticed the Irish accents but didn't realise exactly who they were. He allegedly said to Bono:

So the waiter, still unaware of who they were, took them to his local drinking establishment. To much staring and open-mouths Bono ordered a pint of Guinness and took a sip. A long pause followed.

Probably the truth behind the story is the fact that Jamaica sells a heck of a lot of G Foreign Extra, a proper beer weighing in at 7.5% proof and not widely found.

While I'm in the process of popping illusions, many a well-lubricated Irishman or American wannabe version, weeping gently into their pint of G, singing Danny Boy and cursing the Brit oppressor, overlooks 3 important facts.

1. Arthur Guinness came from solid Northern Ireland (part of the UK) Protestant roots

Some good points, but I'm not sure too many Irish friends will agree with you, clean pipes or not.

I've been in Jamaica and believe me......some nights ANYTHING tasted good! cool.gif

Haha no self respecting Irishman would pay any attention to anything that bull*hit artist Bono has to say!!

Different markets though do get different brews of the black stuff. Even if the Guinness came directly from the Dublin brewery it does not mean its the same recipe sold in Ireland. Different for different markets. Budweiser sold in Ireland is brewed under contract at the Dublin brewery. And I believe they have canceled the plans to move out to the burbs. The massive property crash put an end to those ambitions.

Cant argue with your other facts though.

The one place I would be very wary of drinking Guinness is Australia, as there I believe it is brewed by the dreaded Fosters, the epitome of p--s poor beer, enjoyed by ignorant Brits who think Aussies actually drink much of the filth.

The one place I would be very wary of drinking Guinness is Australia, as there I believe it is brewed by the dreaded Fosters, the epitome of p--s poor beer, enjoyed by ignorant Brits who think Aussies actually drink much of the filth.

Thanks for the points, next time I'm in Australia I'll drink XXXX. smile.gif

Now, does anyone know of any typical Irish places that will be putting on a St Patrick's Day bash?

AND does the Guinness in Chiang Mai taste different? - Opinions seem to vary.

Guinness is brewed in around 50 different countries, the largest consumers outside of the UK and Eire being the Nigerians, I think. It does NOT taste exactly the same the world over - because, apart from anything else, no two water supplies are the same.

So the taste of your pint can be dependent on where you are drinking it.

As to the quality of a beer, then yes, this has got a lot to do with storage, handling and serving.

Rgds

Edited by Contractor

I think the Landlord of the RedLion is a moderator here ? Maybe he can back me up about Guinness now coming over to Thailand from Dublin .

Yes there are good pints of Guinness in Dublin ,where i was brought up ,but equally in other parts of Ireland .

I've drank guinness all over the place and it's the best in Ireland.

This is because (apparently as somebody who worked for Guiness in Dublin told me) it doesn't travel well, i'm not sure exactly what this means. Also your pipes should be cleaned at night and there's a pub in Ireland which serves the best Guiness which keep the kegs in a chilled environment.

So any landlords serving a pint of Guiness an St Patricks, make sure you get cleaning your pipes!