Savannaket Or Koh Kong Which Is The Easiest?

Between Savannaket Laos or Koh Kong Cambodia which is the most hassle free place to get a tourist visa?

Can a double entry be had in either place?

Assuming I would use a visa agent in Koh Kong, is this perfectly safe?

I am a bit nervous about Cambodia as I hear allot of bad stories about that place but would like to visit a beach area for a change.

If you have experience in these places I would like to hear..

Thanks in advance..

Hi Devaram.

I did the Koh Kong trip last week but didn't need a visa - just needed to leave and get stamped back in for another 90 days on my multi entry visa. It all went smoothly:

Arrived at Ekamai around 9am and caught an aircon bus to Trat at 9.30am. Return ticket was 430 baht. Arrived in Trat after about 6 hours journey. After waiting for about 30 mins caught a minibus to the border, which cost 120 baht and took about an hour and a half.

Exited Thailand without any delay then walked across through the 'buffer zone' to the Cambodian side. I got an e-visa before I made the trip - $20 + $5 admin fee. Applied on Friday and received it (as a PDF file) on Saturday. I printed out two copies, cut them to size and stapled one in my passport (the other is also required when you go through Cambodian immigration). There is an e-visa desk and it only took a few minutes to be processed. It is also much cheaper as they were asking others for 1200 baht at the border! I shared a taxi from the border to Koh Kong - about 12 Kms - 300 baht total. Just beware the Cambodian bike taxis and taxi drivers and ignore their hassle.

I asked to be taken to Otto's place (as I had read that this was s good idea on the forum). However, the taxi drivers are not keen on this as apparently Otto doesn't pay them any commission - so they want to take you to a place of their choice. Otto's place was OK but a little 'basic' - fan room from $3 a night! Great baguette breakfast. I stayed one night as it was too late to go looking elsewhere. Koh Kong doesn't have any street lighting so it's a little dark in the evenings.

The following morning I was up very early and after a delicious baguette and coffee had a good walk around Koh Kong and looked at alternative accommodation. Looked at quite a few but decided on the biggest and newest hotel - the Apex. A large, clean aircon room with hot shower, TV fridge, free wi-fi overlooking the swimming pool was great value for $15 (fan room was $12). All other guest houses were cheaper but none had wi-fi (I need to be online every day).

After my two nights and one day in Koh Kong I headed back to Bangkok. Koh Kong is very quiet and there isn't really much to do. I booked a bus ticket from the Apex hotel to Trat at $9. Large bus (coming from Sihanoukville) to the border then minibus from the Thai side back to Trat. I had an open return ticket to Bangkok so got the next bus out and arrived safely back in Bangkok some 6 and a half hours later.

An enjoyable trip that got the job done with a minimum of fuss and expense. Would I do it again? Yes. However, I think that I'd probably venture as far as Sihanoukville next time and take a few more days and probably stay at the Apex again on the way out (as buses only leave Koh Kong for Sihanoukville in the morning).

I hope that some of this info. is useful to you.

Have a good trip.

Clive R.