Most Effective Mosqueeto Repellent

Yaroon79

I had a mild case of dengue last year for about two weeks, likely caught at Thammasat Rangsit last year. Many of my friends have caught it here in BKK as well, two requiring hospitalisation, one for a month in ICU for life-threatening dengue haemorrhagic fever. Now endemic in Bangkok. There are four strains of dengue; one becomes immune after catching one, giving you four more shots at it!

Japanese-B encephalitis (vaccine available at Red Cross). No treatment, so get the vaccine annually. 30% mortality. Or permanent vegetable from this one. Most prevalent in northern Thailand, night biters.

Chikungunya. Day biters. Not life-threatening but potentially years of joint pain. Vaccine in trials.

Viral meningitis is an infection of the brain and spinal cord. Treatment with toxic antivirals similar to HIV cocktail. (Vaccine available at Red Cross.) Dusk biters.

Malaria (night biters, UN says NO preventative works so don't bother, no vaccine, no treatment and recurrent flashbacks fevers). Most prevalent in the western provinces near Burma. Life-threatening.

Filariasis, day and night biters! Most prevalent in the South. Not life-threatening but really nasty, requiring six months of treatment. Vaccine effective but must be taken for six years!

Frankly, I'm far more scared of these than DEET and I'm religious about vaccination despite attendant risks! We like von's Skin So Soft as a repellent—not toxic. Often use Joico roll-on supposedly from a Belgian formula, DEET-based. Gotta try the pink cap from 7-11!

Our household mosquito problem became quite severe until we started changing the water in our flower vases daily.

Edited by LivinginKata
link removed as per forum rules

• 1 month later...

Tree-hugger rubbish.

So DEET is a chemical, so are anti-biotics.

Natural things won't kill you? Try toadstools, or, the wrong kind of mushroom.

Sounds like your the kind of person that wants mankind to go back to being hunter-gatherers.

DEET is the most effective mosquito repellent known. You say it has possible side affects. What medication doesn't?

I've had malaria and it is no fun at all.

Edited by LivinginKata
Spam removed from quote.

LOL, this really sounds like those old fashioned commercials. We from X recommend X. You just forgot to mention you're 'We from X'.

Edited by LivinginKata
Spam removed from quote.

Tree-hugger rubbish.

So DEET is a chemical, so are anti-biotics.

Natural things won't kill you? Try toadstools, or, the wrong kind of mushroom.

Sounds like your the kind of person that wants mankind to go back to being hunter-gatherers.

DEET is the most effective mosquito repellent known. You say it has possible side affects. What medication doesn't?

I've had malaria and it is no fun at all.

Sometimes possibly dangerous chemicals are needed to avoid mortal diseases like dengue and malaria

I use spray in the room, non smelling (no odour) as i am allergic to all kinds of perfumes, they all contain approx same amount of toxic stuff. Exit the room for an hour or so, and then no mosquitos left. If only a few mosquitos in room I try to find them all with my rechargable BBQ tennis racket

As prevention, mosquito nets for doors and windows, and avoid any water for mosquitos to lay eggs in.

garlic, no chance, they still love me :)