How Much For A Month?

finy

To live in Thailand these days?

Next time I come back, I'd like to stay over for a while to do some training, personal study and design my website all in the beautiful heat of Thailand.

So id just like to know how much I could get by on each month so I can plan how long to stay for.

Id probably stay in Chiang Mai or Bangkok and id be looking for

- a basic studio apartment

- bike rental or buy second hand

- thai resturant meals

- gym membership

- laundry

- out drinking every few weeks

- swimming pool membership

Thanks

finy

From what you described you should be fine on 30-40k. Many farangs live out here quite comfortably on that despite having partners to support and going out regularly. You probably would not want a bike in Bangkok.

You will not need 70k

OK so maybe 30K minimum extra if needed.

When I was in BKK last time I just used the local buses/boats which was a loy better than using taxis the time before. Not just price but actually enjoyment of blending in.

If I stay in BKK id still like a flat within a 30 min walk of Lumpini park. How much would this cost. Just a studio would do but maybe a flat wih kitchen appliances would be nice so I can shop at markets and take cooking classes, and invite people around for dinner.

OK so maybe 30K minimum extra if needed.

When I was in BKK last time I just used the local buses/boats which was a loy better than using taxis the time before. Not just price but actually enjoyment of blending in.

If I stay in BKK id still like a flat within a 30 min walk of Lumpini park. How much would this cost. Just a studio would do but maybe a flat wih kitchen appliances would be nice so I can shop at markets and take cooking classes, and invite people around for dinner.

google for 9apartment . . it gives you all the locations, all the condos and apartments, and all the info . .

70000 thb should do it . Not a massive amount but ok for everything you would like to do...

I think this would be pretty accurate.

sure, if after you have set yourself up long term then costs on a monthly basis can come down. But if you are only there for a month or three then there will be lots of 'one off' costs just to set yourself up, if only in a minor way.

If you go under than, then all well and good.

Edited by samran

I know people who quite easily live for under 30k. Myself i spend 40k a month. I could do less if i wanted too its all not that hard. It all depends if you have a partner to support or not. If your paying for company or not. If you rent a real expensive apartment or not. If you eat Thai food or western food.

That is the beauty of Thailand you can make it as expensive or cheap as you like.

get real, a guy staying a while doesnt want to stay in his apt all day-even if he says so-he needs 100,000!

When i used to come over for holidays used to budget 500 pound for 1 week

So when i would come over for a month that would mean 2000 grand ..with the baht at 78-80 baht to the pound .i would have about 156.000 baht to play with and a credit card for back up,

And boy did we do a lot of playing..Sex,Drugs and rock n roll not necessarily in that order.whistling.gif

Now i live here i make do with 30.000 - 40.000 baht a month rolleyes.gif

finy

From what you described you should be fine on 30-40k. Many farangs live out here quite comfortably on that despite having partners to support and going out regularly. You probably would not want a bike in Bangkok.

You will not need 70k

To say you wont need 70,000 a month all depends on how theop wants to live not on need. You can live here no problem on 10,000 a month orlike me spend 150,000 up but then I have 2 children with all school fees, tripsto home country satellite TV 2 cars and so on. If your single and happy to livein a small but good condo to live quite without a car or to many luxuries wellyou probably need about 50,000 a month probably broken down as follows.

Rent for small studio condo with air con well furnished ingood location where block has a pool fitness room and all normal amenitiesaround 8-10,000 per month

Electricity, internet and satellite TV will be anything from around 1,500 – 3,000depending on how much you need the aircon.

If you eat out a lot then that will depend totally onweather you are happy with Thai food which is wonderful but most forangs docrave for western food at least sometimes. So good quality eating (not basicnoodle soup) will be between 300 baht and 1,000 baht a day so around 4,000 –30,000 a month. Less if your not a big meat eater but not including wine orbeer.

IF you like wine or drink a lot you’ll need to budget atleast 300 baht a day for say 3-4 decent beers or ½ bottle of wine. So that willeat around 4,000-10,000 a month.

If your happy with a motorbike then budget around 2000-3000a month. For a reasonable car you can more than double that.

Then biggest expense is entertainment which can be justaround 2,000 a month to sky is limit.

So I think basic reasonable western type standard of livingwill be at least 25,000 a month but hardly doing much at all. If you want toenjoy yourself and not live like a hermit you should at least double that to50,000 a month and that would not include holidays here or abroad.

finy

You will not need 70k

To say you wont need 70,000 a month all depends on how theop wants to live not on need. You can live here no problem on 10,000 a month orlike me spend 150,000 up but then I have 2 children with all school fees, tripsto home country satellite TV 2 cars and so on. If your single and happy to livein a small but good condo to live quite without a car or to many luxuries wellyou probably need about 50,000 a month probably broken down as follows.

Rent for small studio condo with air con well furnished ingood location where block has a pool fitness room and all normal amenitiesaround 8-10,000 per month

Electricity, internet and satellite TV will be anything from around 1,500 – 3,000depending on how much you need the aircon.

If you eat out a lot then that will depend totally onweather you are happy with Thai food which is wonderful but most forangs docrave for western food at least sometimes. So good quality eating (not basicnoodle soup) will be between 300 baht and 1,000 baht a day so around 4,000 –30,000 a month. Less if your not a big meat eater but not including wine orbeer.

IF you like wine or drink a lot you'll need to budget atleast 300 baht a day for say 3-4 decent beers or ½ bottle of wine. So that willeat around 4,000-10,000 a month.

If your happy with a motorbike then budget around 2000-3000a month. For a reasonable car you can more than double that.

Then biggest expense is entertainment which can be justaround 2,000 a month to sky is limit.

So I think basic reasonable western type standard of livingwill be at least 25,000 a month but hardly doing much at all. If you want toenjoy yourself and not live like a hermit you should at least double that to50,000 a month and that would not include holidays here or abroad.

You could try reading his OP. He stated quite clearly what he is looking for.

He will not need 70k

finy. Are you confused? You should be. Just look on TV accommodation to rent. will give you a good indication of cost for room. If you are thinking of staying around Lumphini, It is on the skytrain route, but if you really need it a motorbike is a good option? (not for the faint hearted though)Depending what you want to eat, it is very much up to you what you spend.

Going back to accommodation though, get over here, find a decent hotel and spend some time looking around. You will be surprised at how reasonable some places, that also have their own pools.

jb1

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

It would be nice if someone could give me individual prices for some things mentioned like room, bike etc

I know someone mentioned 10,000 for the basic room, bike and gym in Chiang Mai with the additional food which is very informative.

I know you can spend as much as you want but as long as I have the basics covered I can bring extra for the drinking etc not that I drink much anyway.

The first few months ill be boxing anyway so the camp will have an all in one price.

I forgot to mention that I want to take a language course (paid separately) as well as gym/pool etc so I dont plan to spend all day in my room.

I wont eat any western food either as I eat mostly Asian food at home. But your right. I will book a hotel and look around for a place to stay.

Cheers

It would be nice if someone could give me individual prices for some things mentioned like room, bike etc

I know someone mentioned 10,000 for the basic room, bike and gym in Chiang Mai with the additional food which is very informative.

I know you can spend as much as you want but as long as I have the basics covered I can bring extra for the drinking etc not that I drink much anyway.

The first few months ill be boxing anyway so the camp will have an all in one price.

I forgot to mention that I want to take a language course (paid separately) as well as gym/pool etc so I dont plan to spend all day in my room.

I wont eat any western food either as I eat mostly Asian food at home. But your right. I will book a hotel and look around for a place to stay.

Cheers

You could buy a second hand bike for as little as 20k or even less (depending on the state of the bike) after that you could always try to resell it. It wil luse around 1 leter for 30 km and fuel costs about 40 bt.

Cheers

CM

Emporium residence in Santhitham road costs 5k bht a month (minimum 1 month) + utils (500-2000bht depending on how much you use aircon)

Air-con, fan, en suite, cable Tv, free wi-fi, fridge, double bed, table and chairs, balcony and sink.

YMCA 200yds down the road, Thai course 2000bht for 6 weeks @ 3 mornings a week

Very young university area of town with many bars and hot chicks.