License

ignis

Need some advise.. Friend has an electric scooter for about 2 months.. [he is in his 70's has a car and a car Thai drivers License for years]

He is worried because he has no license, and has never ridden a bike before buying this one, it is only for ridding around the local Villages, but even so there are sometime Police check points..

Driver License Center only has old manual mopeds to rent for the test, his electric scooter will never go on the main road + he would not ride it on the main road + far to far to get there on a single charge anyway.

is there any way round this ? is there a place that would rent a electric scooter for the test ? If he gets stopped at a check point is there a on-the-spot fine for not having a license ? or what happens ?

I really don't think an electric scooter counts as a "motorcycle" such that you have to have a special license. You say that he would have to test on a rented scooter? I am confused about this, and I guess it illustrates my point. If they won't let him test on the electric scooter, then it is a vehicle for which he doesn't have to possess a license. If they do allow him to test on it, he should use it. But I am fairly certain he doesn't need a license for it.

Find somebody with a pickup that can take your friend and the electric scooter to the test centre.

Yes that was my idea get someone with a license to ride it to the test centre or hire a pickup and driver to take it there and back...

Looks like 1st of my options is not possible as maybe would need charge on the way..

On another note was really surprised how fast it is + how big and heavy, nothing like the little ones you see in the Supermarkets, but then it did cost 46,900 baht, where as the Supermarkets ones are 20 something baht

Or just rent a little auto like a Mio for the day. Give him 10-20 minutes to get used to it and he should be fine, especially if the electric one is (relatively) big, fast and heavy.

Up to a point that is a good idea, but from where ? would they deliver it to the test centre ?

I live about 15 km from Bang Yai, and he is just about 12km further out in the stick than me.

He says he would never dream of riding a scooter on the main road or in traffic.. saying that in my Village there are 8 motorbike/scooters not one of them ever go on the main road, all are used to go to the market or shops around the Villages

Or just rent a little auto like a Mio for the day. Give him 10-20 minutes to get used to it and he should be fine, especially if the electric one is (relatively) big, fast and heavy.

Up to a point that is a good idea, but from where ? would they deliver it to the test centre ?

I live about 15 km from Bang Yai, and he is just about 12km further out in the stick than me.

He says he would never dream of riding a scooter on the main road or in traffic.. saying that in my Village there are 8 motorbike/scooters not one of them ever go on the main road, all are used to go to the market or shops around the Villages

I live in Bang Yai too... you could loan my nouvo for a day if you wanted free of charge.

Thanks, have passed all the messages along..

The Supermarket type it appears are about 500w

His is 2,000w, as yet he has no number plates, and appears unclear as to if he gets them or not, he said on the phone he has a green book in his name for it., He says he paid 50 baht for the road tax for the year.

The Scooter was delivered on a pickup, he bought it somewhere behind the new South Bus Station, the book he said arrive in the post about 3 or 4 weeks later

I have no idea + he gets a bit confused so not sure if this is correct or even road tax, maybe someone knows on here ??

post-42643-0-10889100-1299988419_thumb.j

Edited by ignis