30,000 Red Shirt Supporters Expected In Bangkok On 12 March Rally

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30,000x1500 Bht or maybe its more or less this time? They even set up stalls to make more money here and go shopping around the city. Demonstration for a principle or belief? NO, the real Thai Belief I think.is .... $$$

This demonstration must be stopped at ALL COSTS. Whether it is imprisoning the leaders, or calling out the army, whatever it takes. If these continue, kiss the tourism industry goodbye. It is just recovering now, but not back

to it's former levels. One cannot believe the TAT, at they are not a reliable source for information on tourist arrivals. Abhisit needs to show his mettle, and take care of this immediately.

I would disagree, local meetings up here in the NE are drawing substantial crowds...and they are not being paid. The BKK rallys are a publicity thing but the real discussions are taking place in their villages and towns but you will not read about that in your newspaper. As farangs we dont get to know what the thais are thinking and doing and only when pressing a friend he leaked out how many meetings are actually taking place across this region. Even my wife is reluctant to discuss anything red with her husband.

For want of a better phrase the 'movement' is alive and well and stronger than before and that is not about violence, its about the desire to change. Minority reds.. lost for words

My wife has relatives in Hat Yai, Nakhon Sri Thammarat, Kanchanburi, Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Sukhothai, Langpang and Chiang Mai. Some of the northerners voted for TRT, but none of them vote for PT or attend Red rallies. However, since they're not from Issan I guess that they are not "true Thais".<_<

Some of you Red Shirt cheerleaders need to visit the other 3/4s of Thailand occasionally. The Redshirts are NOT a majority.

So many things are now mixed up . There is a horrible power struggle between people who dont give a toss about the poor but would happily use them. Then there is the very need for redistribution of opportunity and wealth. On top of that is the giant change. Then of course there are opportunities for those willing to take a chance. And this is all in the context of some mega business projects due to be awarded linked to how different business groups line up with different political groupings in return for guaranteed projects if that side prevails.

It is also extremely hard to accurately gauge politics across the country in general as excepting some urban areas Thai politics is very localised with it easy to find almost 100% backing one group in one locale while a few tens of kilometers down the road or in the next province this changes. Who controls the mills, machinery supply, money lending etc is critical here as it is impossible to live without these people and hence whoever they favour gets voted for. These business networks are sometimes countered by teacher, civil servant and even monk groups although often these will be similarly aligned as the business network people who will also control local elected government. Finally throw in the generational splits, those sick of all politics (I know lots who wont vote next election because of this) and parties running vacuous stars as MPs.

Lots going on, and whatever party prevails likely with no overall majority will on their own be able to resolve it all and that will be made more complicated by demanding coalition allies.

Be intersting to see if the reds go for another extended rally to try and delay the election

I would disagree, local meetings up here in the NE are drawing substantial crowds...and they are not being paid. The BKK rallys are a publicity thing but the real discussions are taking place in their villages and towns but you will not read about that in your newspaper. As farangs we dont get to know what the thais are thinking and doing and only when pressing a friend he leaked out how many meetings are actually taking place across this region. Even my wife is reluctant to discuss anything red with her husband.

For want of a better phrase the 'movement' is alive and well and stronger than before and that is not about violence, its about the desire to change. Minority reds.. lost for words

My wife has relatives in Hat Yai, Nakhon Sri Thammarat, Kanchanburi, Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Sukhothai, Langpang and Chiang Mai. Some of the northerners voted for TRT, but none of them vote for PT or attend Red rallies. However, since they're not from Issan I guess that they are not "true Thais".<_<

Some of you Red Shirt cheerleaders need to visit the other 3/4s of Thailand occasionally. The Redshirts are NOT a majority.

Your reference to "true Thais" is rather misleading since the expression was originally used to exclude Southern Muslims and Lao people from the North East.It was also a way of differentiating Thais from Chinese immigrants and their descendants.

My own view is that "what my wife told me" comments are sometimes interesting but purely anecdotal.When we combine "what my wife told me" comments with a complete ignorance of recent political and historical background, I have to admit one's eyes glaze over.

Why anyone who differs from the received wisdom should be called " a Red shirt cheerleader " is puzzling.

I agree the Redshirts are not a majority but it's difficult to put a percentage on its support.I would say about 40% but who knows.It's become a very broad church now with much greater middle class support.

the Redshirt strongholds in the North and North East have a population of 22.3 million and 11.6 million respectively, almost exactly 50% of the total Thai population.Of course not everybody by any manner of speaking is A red supporter in these regions.What these numbers do mean however ...well, I don't need to spell it out yet again

I agree the Redshirts are not a majority but it's difficult to put a percentage on its support.I would say about 40% but who knows.It's become a very broad church now with much greater middle class support.

the Redshirt strongholds in the North and North East have a population of 22.3 million and 11.6 million respectively, almost exactly 50% of the total Thai population.Of course not everybody by any manner of speaking is A red supporter in these regions.What these numbers do mean however ...well, I don't need to spell it out yet again

Red Sunday leader Sombat said there are about a million red shirts, and I think he meant people who support to some degree, rather than active supporters who go to rallies and such (because such active supporters would surely be in the low hundred thousands?). I don't know if that's true, but a million is way less than 40%, of course. I suppose many people if pushed, will support one side more than the other, but otherwise don't really care that much, the "silent majority". Anyway, as noted, we really don't know how many people are sympathetic to the government or to the reds and whether that will decide the voting anyway. I suspect it won't.

If you conflate red with Puea Thai supporters (which I don't think people should, as it's more complicated than that), then you might think it was at least around 30% of the electorate. The problem is though, there are some who will vote PT that don't support the reds at all, people who may even be angry about the red shirts damaging the image of the party and of Thaksin. A good proportion of PT voters might not care about reds one way or the other. Other hand, I'm fairly certain there are red shirt supporters who won't vote for PT, although this is a minority. One friend sympathised with reds at the time but is a committed Dem voter. Another person I spoke to said he'll vote PT because Dems have failed on basic issues (i.e. palm oil), he doesn't care about the red/yellow issue and even though he was angry with reds at the time for inconveniencing him, that's mostly forgotten about now. I suspect there are many others like that. The red/yellow issue just won't be at the top of the list for most when they decide to vote. Many people just aren't that interested in politics, they're just interested in whether the government can provide basic things for them so inflation and food prices are the things that could lose the election for the Dems, far more than the red shirts and the crackdown.

Also, I know many Thai people who are capable of having red and yellow friends and taking both perspectives into account without flying into a rage. In fact I wonder if the majority of people aren't like that? Much of the fury towards red shirts and towards govt from reds and others (because there were also ordinary non-red folk that felt sorry for the red shirts to some degree but wouldn't call themselves red), has died down and the election won't be won or lost on red/yellow issues.

Lets hope the military use any and all available force to combat these terrorists. I glad to see the military out there.

Don't Thai people have the right to demonstrate in Thailand ???.

You are "glad" to see the military responding to what should be a police operation and you hope for the use of all available force ???

How very conciliatory.

Attitudes like this will really bring the country forwards.

Also, I know many Thai people who are capable of having red and yellow friends and taking both perspectives into account without flying into a rage. In fact I wonder if the majority of people aren't like that? Much of the fury towards red shirts and towards govt from reds and others (because there were also ordinary non-red folk that felt sorry for the red shirts to some degree but wouldn't call themselves red), has died down and the election won't be won or lost on red/yellow issues.

I hope you are right.I think there has been some movement in that direction but there are still plenty of Thais (on both sides) with whom it is impossible to have a rational discussion.I love your comment about "flying into a rage": I have seen this so often (not just in relation to politics) or at least signs that only a modicum of dignity awareness prevented it.Where on earth did the the Thais get the idea that it was the foreigners who were hot hearted, as opposed to their cool hearted selves?

To clarify my 40% figure was of course a guess at the percentage that are broadly sympathetic to the Red movement, though as you suggest many would not be at all passionate let alone dream of attending rallies.It's just a guess though, and on reflection I would revise it down to 30%.

Lets hope the military use any and all available force to combat these terrorists. I glad to see the military out there.

Don't Thai people have the right to demonstrate in Thailand ???.

You are "glad" to see the military responding to what should be a police operation and you hope for the use of all available force ???

How very conciliatory.

Attitudes like this will really bring the country forwards.

The memory of police inaction when it mattered in the past, may have a little to do with the preference for military presence. I do agree Thai's should and apparently do, have the right for peaceful demonstration. Past Red shirt demonstrations tend to gravitate toward riots, and disruption of surrounding private and commercial ventures/properties, thus the concern/need for a control mechanism/presence (military) if needed. Past actions of several groups have hindered progress in this country and the mind set of some of the leaders seems appears self motivated instead of for the good of the general public.

I work more than most Thai people, I make more money than most Thai people and I pay more taxes than most Thai people -- and yet I am supposed to have understanding when deadbeat relatives call and make the gf cry out of guilt of not sending them enough money?

Where can I sign up to protest the injustices that is *really* the issue here? Not any of this Red Shirt nonsense.

Tight security for major Bangkok rally

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, March 12, 2011 (AFP) - Several thousand police were deployed in the Thai capital Saturday ahead of a major rally by anti-government "Red Shirts" to mark the first anniversary of the start of mass protests that turned deadly.

Thai society remains bitterly divided following the worst political violence in decades which left about 90 people dead -- mostly civilians -- in a series of street clashes between armed troops and protesters in April and May 2010.

National police spokesman Major General Prawut Thavornsiri said almost 3,500 police officers were deployed for Saturday's rally and more were on standby.

"Police predict there will be more than 40,000 protesters and the rally will continue into the early hours, but we don't expect any violence," he said.

A procession of red-clad protesters on motorbikes was seen streaming through central Bangkok waving red flags on their way to the gathering, which was due to start in the mid-afternoon.

The movement, which is broadly loyal to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has held a series of peaceful one-day rallies in the capital in recent weeks. Thaksin was expected to address the crowd by video link.

"In the past year we have suffered excruciating pain and been suppressed by the elite," said Nattawut Saikuar, one of seven top leaders of the movement who were recently released on bail after nine months in prison.

"I invite our brothers and sisters to come out tonight," he told a satellite television station run by the Reds.

Saturday's rally in the area of Bangkok's Democracy Monument is expected to be the biggest since May 2010, when troops firing live rounds and backed by armoured vehicles moved in to end the two-month demonstration.

"It's likely that the rally will attract a large number of protesters," said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

But he said he was not concerned about possible violence and predicted that police could control the situation.

Abhisit said Friday he would dissolve the lower house of parliament by early May, paving the way for what is expected to be a hard-fought election in the politically divided nation in late June or early July.

The Red Shirts view Abhisit's government as undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote with the backing of the military after a court ruling threw out the previous administration.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-12

I work more than most Thai people, I make more money than most Thai people and I pay more taxes than most Thai people -- and yet I am supposed to have understanding when deadbeat relatives call and make the gf cry out of guilt of not sending them enough money?

Where can I sign up to protest the injustices that is *really* the issue here? Not any of this Red Shirt nonsense.

Please address your grievances to:

Whinge Department

The Ministry For TAWP's Personal Affairs

Government House

Bangkok

Edited by hanuman1

Whinge Department

Government House

Bangkok

Don't forget to provide information in THAI with translated documents, or other material duly certified by a notary or lawyer and legalised by the MoFA. Before depositing your grievances and documentation you have to register and pay the services fee of THB 500. The registration must be done in person at the Immigration Services, Chaeng Wattana. The registration gives you a registration number which must be used on all correspondence with the Whinge Department. Failure to do so may invalidate your registration.

(PS, sorry, slow Saturday)

Edited by rubl

Here we go again! Get the huddled masses out of the dried out rice fields and onto the streets of Bangkok! Dust off the old foot clappers and blare the songs for life! Don't forget a big picture in the front of the golden boy, that makes it respectable! :)

You may need to get this idea out of your bonce that this is just about oiks from the farm. There is serious money being ploughed into this, the poor are just the foot soldiers. Dont want to get in a rant about using the poor but during the protests at Rachaprasong there was a rally being held in Khon Kaen at the same time. Every so often a cavalcade of cars would set off around the city. In that cavalcade would be a few foreign imported cars (with thaksin flags hanging out the window) that must have cost over 20,000,000 baht. Wealthy people here want a change. Businessmen gave up their premises and fed and watered the hoardes.

Many posters need to question the media that is available to them, stop making Thaksin the issue...there is many more, not quite as wealthy as Thaksin, with money who want there turn at the trough... and the majority of reds see these people as the only option for a change in their down trodden lifestyle. Not to say they will get much, if PT get to power but if they dont PT wont get back in power.

How many corrupt billions are hiding in the private bank accounts of corrupt officials that could be be frozen, taken back thaksin style and filtered to the poor. There is wealth in this country, the greedy b4st4rds need to start sharing it for the good of all... rant over....for now

''their down trodden lifestyle.'''

i have seen the down trodden lifestyle in the poor rural areas

new pickups, new motorbikes, big screen TV's, everyone has a mobile phone, lots of eating out, busy markets, and decent housing

hardly the image you try to convey........

Do you live in the rural area...doubtful... do you know where it is

Whinge Department

Government House

Bangkok

Don't forget to provide information in THAI with translated documents, or other material duly certified by a notary or lawyer and legalised by the MoFA. Before depositing your grievances and documentation you have to register and pay the services fee of THB 500. The registration must be done in person at the Immigration Services, Chaeng Wattana. The registration gives you a registration number which must be used on all correspondence with the Whinge Department. Failure to do so may invalidate your registration.

(PS, sorry, slow Saturday)

Not for me, I worked all day.

While a bunch of red shirt-supporters here sat around and smoked Ice and drank whiskey for almost the full 11 hours I was at work.

Just a comparison.

Not for me, I worked all day.

While a bunch of red shirt-supporters here sat around and smoked Ice and drank whiskey for almost the full 11 hours I was at work.

Just a comparison.

My contract mentions Monday/Friday only. Unfortunately the no-OT-paid with 'no contractual obligation to OT' doesn't work well when there's a problem and company or customer phones me to ask to 'drop by'. Of course solving a problem and seeing smiling faces helps a lot :)

one of the poor, rural Issan farm workers we hear so much about...

capt8435b9f64dbf47b5a6bc097852e062d9-8435b9f64dbf47b5a6bc097852e062d9-0.jpg

A Red Shirts protester gestures during a rally at the Democracy Monument Saturday, March 12, 2011 in Bangkok, Thailand.

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110312/481/urn_publicid_ap_org3ca306dee5d14acbbf225feea0b60c6a/#photoViewer=/110312/481/urn_publicid_ap_org8435b9f64dbf47b5a6bc097852e062d9

they know him, but he doesn't know them...

captf8e6daee50624c4fa5c321cfb4c8defe-f8e6daee50624c4fa5c321cfb4c8defe-0.jpg

A portrait of ousted Prime Minsiter Thaksin Shinawatra is raised in the middle of Red Shirts protesters during a rally at the Democracy Monument Saturday, March 12, 2011 in Bangkok, Thailand.

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110312/481/urn_publicid_ap_org3ca306dee5d14acbbf225feea0b60c6a/#photoViewer=/110312481/urn_publicid_ap_org_f8e6daee50624c4fa5c321cfb4c8defe

errr, no comment really needed...

r1207760486.jpg

A Thai anti-government "red shirt" protester with her face painted attends a rally at the Democracy monument, the site of bloody clashes with security forces last year, in Bangkok March 12, 2011.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110312/481/urn_publicid_ap_org3ca306dee5d14acbbf225feea0b60c6a/#photoViewer=/110312/ids_photos_wl/r1207760486.jpg

^ Is this actually the Thai version of what we call carnival inn the western world?

We should be so lucky!

In any case, it does seem to be shaping up into some kind of annual seasonal "celebration".

Edited by Jingthing

errr, no comment really needed...

r1207760486.jpg

A Thai anti-government "red shirt" protester with her face painted attends a rally at the Democracy monument, the site of bloody clashes with security forces last year, in Bangkok March 12, 2011.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.co...r1207760486.jpg

Just how many bloody clashes took place at Democracy Monument last year?

and so Speaketh the Savior :

324.jpg

"When you are ready for me to come back and serve you, I'll be ready."

"Please help the Puea Thai (opposition party) win a landslide victory and then I'll solve problems and fix the economy and bring prosperity in six months."

- Thaksin Shinawatra / March 12, 2011 call-in

AFP

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gGI1ON2HVrrMxrKPKqyX0qJrpr5Q?docId=CNG.a02012aae39ef7633415c33c7bb96572.7f1

Edited by Buchholz

Even my wife is reluctant to discuss anything red with her husband.

For want of a better phrase the 'movement' is alive and well and stronger than before and that is not about violence, its about the desire to change

Sounds like she thinks you're not important enough (lack of respect); perhaps you should consider trading her in.

I just wish this bunch would do some good for Muang Thai for once, or how about getting together and offering some thoughts for those lost in the quake? But nah, who'd hear of such a thing, it's all about number 1 eh!

Unprecedented.

:cheesy:

cheesy.gif

Communism, in it's traditional form, was in fact defeated, rather than just not working. For something to be described as 'not working' it has to be left alone. The western powers fought against it from it's inception. I'm not saying that was a bad thing or otherwise, just that that's what happened. :)

Anyway, a fairer distribution of land and wealth/power does not necessarily equate to communism.

There are many societies that have less imbalance than Thailand, that are not communist by any stretch of the imagination.

'traditional form'. lol that gave me a chuckle. And what is that, exactly?

I am a small-l liberal but Communism is a cancer. It's 'working' in China, but then not for the majority of Chinese it's not.

You are correct that egalitarianism does not equate to Communism. I'm all for egalitarianism. Communism has never, is not currently anywhere, and will not ever deliver it.

There are many societies that have a more equitable distribution of wealth than Thailand. Most, in fact. Not one of them owes their harmony to Communism. A great many nations are still suffering from having bought into the rhetoric, of course. Thailand would do well not to join them. You cannot achieve harmony and egalitarianism at the barrel of a gun or with violence (or the threat of). For pretty obvious reasons, one would think...

Where on earth did the the Thais get the idea that it was the foreigners who were hot hearted, as opposed to their cool hearted selves?

lolz. Because they're brilliant, in ways many of them don't even (consciously) realise. Very few Thais I know are very Thai - I'm more Thai than most Thais. I make that claim tongue-in-cheek of course, Thais are distinctly, delightfully Thai - it's just that very few people have much of a clue about what it means to be Thai (least of all, Thais..555).