Salad Concept

No1

The owner is a bit of a celebrity in her own right and there are usually other Bangkok celebrity types hanging out there on any given week. The owner and her restaurant are often seen on the Thai gossip programs.

I thought they were two owners..... sisters... both celebs? One is cuter and younger, the other one isn't bad either.

It was a nice hangout but they change their staff more times than yourself truely his underwear. Doesn't make me feel as comfy anymore as it used to be.sad.gif

The disappointment to me was that the size of the salads started shrinking and the dressings started becoming hit or miss (sometimes good, sometimes mediocre)after they had been open less than a year. Other than that, I've enjoyed my eating experiences there most of the time.

Edited by venturalaw

Right on Neimanheiman Road, but have no idea of the soi number next to it.

At Soi 13. I use to go just about every day. But since Coco Salad opened in San Sai, no more A Salad Concept for me.

Edited by venturalaw

It was cheaper to eat a salad there than to make one at home. I have never been sure how they could make a profit doing that.

Their salad is 90% lettuce. Also, they are always complete. I would wonder how they can make a profit having to pay wages of 12 waiters or so ...

The owner is a bit of a celebrity in her own right and there are usually other Bangkok celebrity types hanging out there on any given week. The owner and her restaurant are often seen on the Thai gossip programs.

I thought the owners were the two tall, attractive sisters that seem to speak English well (I haven't exchanged more that a few short sentences with either). What makes one or both of them celebrities?

It was cheaper to eat a salad there than to make one at home. I have never been sure how they could make a profit doing that.

Their salad is 90% lettuce. Also, they are always complete. I would wonder how they can make a profit having to pay wages of 12 waiters or so ...

Sure we are talking about the same place? I go there often and for about 130 Baht you get a huge salad with lots of vegetables, chicken, potatoes, etc. - whatever you want. If you look around at what people are eating, it looks to me that almost everyone drops about 200+ Baht per head. The place is packed all day long. It seems to me that considering she pays practically nothing for the vegetables, the owner is doing quite well and making a large profit.

Change staff often? Some of the staff have been there since they first opened.

Edited by elektrified

Sure we are talking about the same place?

Yes.

I go there often and for about 130 Baht you get a huge salad with lots of vegetables, chicken, potatoes, etc. - whatever you want.

Yep, it's huge, but 90% lettuce, I would say. But everyone has a different perception. Hey, I didn't want to complain about the place at all. There are things I like, others maybe less. My post was mainly to find out on why they have camera teams there so often and maybe to find out what makes the owner celebrities.... whistling.gif

Change staff often? Some of the staff have been there since they first opened.

Here, we definitely have different perception. I don't see anyone anymore from the first days when and the first year when it was still a small salad bar. Also, it really seems to me that they are changing staff a lot.

Well, does anyone know what makes the sisters who run the place celebrities?

The disappointment to me was that the size of the salads started shrinking and the dressings started becoming hit or miss (sometimes good, sometimes mediocre)after they had been open less than a year. Other than that, I've enjoyed my eating experiences there most of the time.

The best (and last) salad I ate there was with you Venturalaw and I could not finish it. So, no price increase just smaller portions, may work.:))

They are often adding staff, but some of the staff have been there since the beginning. The salad has always been 50 baht with a choice of 5 toppings, extra for some items, i.e. chicken (they raised the price from originally 20 baht to 25), salmon, dory, beef, and an additional 20 baht for cheese (use to have feta, now only cheddar). The homemade dressings were fantastic, but, as I said earlier, sometimes they were actually terrible (it happened more than once that I could not use what I almost always chose - the tamarind sesame seed). Also the caesar salad dressing use to be fantastic IMHO, but they changed the recipe so that now it is mediocre at best. Although they significantly reduced the size of the salads, one still can feel quite satisfied with the portion.

Edited by venturalaw

I was told the salad and dressing ideas came from the food they fed their dad when he had cancer.

I heard a similar story - that the two sisters' idea for the restaurant was to serve healthy food since their father was ill.

Edited by venturalaw

They do have a few of so-called anti-cancer drinks. I hope nobody takes it serious. It looks all more like a well-working business concept to me. If someone really wants to help the ill, you would rather open a cafeteria with healthy food in the Sriphat hospital instead of a Salad Bar in Nimmanhemin. (Nothing wrong about this and a bowl of hydroponic lettuce is still better than a bag of french fries at McDonalds)

In the western world also nobody would believe hydroponic growth systems guarantee the healthiest vegetables but as the quickest and cheapest way to puff up tomatoes with water. I agree though that it is quite a clean and sterile way to use hydroponics instead of growing on soil.

Well, back to the topic: does anybody know what art or fact made the owners celebrities (if this is really the case)?

Edit:: @venturalaw: from the initial staff I don't see anyone anymore, maybe the lady who manages the cashier some nights.

Edited by No1

Eaten here a few times and always enjoyed the salads.

I have also tried the fried fish - not recommended.

However, last time I ate there with tgf, rude staff made us feel very unwelcome as it approached 10pm. We did not realise it closed at this time and they were happy enough to take our order at 9.40pm, then plonked the bill on the table just as we had started eating and demanded payment. At 9.55pm they put chairs on tables and started spraying cleaning fluid around us. They could have given us (and another table of people) 10 minutes grace to finish our meal!

Not sure I will go back.

Rgds

well, uhem, yes... they are cute...

spotlight_pic1.jpg

Other than mentioned in the article K. eek posted, the customers range from 6 to 66 years (sometimes at one table, hehe). The scent of cleaning fluid "Contractor" mentioned is always present and some of the staff is definitely not well educated.

Unfortunately, I got used to this place when it was still small, young and with a few waiters only.

For information.. There is no Ruam Chock. There is a Ruam Chock Meechai fly over. underpass or intersection. The plaza on the north east corner of this intersection is known as and called not only by farangs but Thais and most importantly by the owner as Meechock Plazza, On Google Earth you may find it at "MCP" lat=18.8236281805, lon=99.0104699756

The photos may not be the best but look closely and you will see Meechock Plaza on their office and the clock tower.

post-91169-0-24209200-1300592209_thumb.jpost-91169-0-16495200-1300592190_thumb.jpost-91169-0-88882300-1300592162_thumb.jpost-91169-0-65120300-1300592129_thumb.j

That is not correct. Like I said in another thread, the main market that occupies more land space than the Meechok Plaza is known as Dalaat Ruam Chok. If you try and give a Thai directions and tell them Meechok Plaza vs. Dalaat Ruam Chok, they will never know what you are talking about.