Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

george

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

French Industry Minister Eric Besson said: "Let's not beat about the bush. They have lost control of the situation."

And French nuclear safety boss Thierry Charles said: "The next 48 hours will be decisive. I am pessimistic."

Victor Gilinsky, former US Nuclear Regulatory Commission member, added: "The actual radiation releases could approach that category of Chernobyl."

Dr Thomas Neff, an American-based physicist and uranium-industry analyst, agreed - describing the Fukushima crisis as a "slow-moving nightmare".

I'm really curious.. how does cigarette smoking create radiation exposure by the smoker???

For accuracy, will use a legitimate source rather than guess. ;)

Enviornmental Protection Agency

WOWOW... Thanks Tywais... I never knew...

Of course, I knew smoking contributed to lung cancer... But I never knew thru radiation...

OK... That's the last comment from me on smoking/radiation... Was just so surprised to see that info, 80 millisievert per year, in the LA Times graphic...

:jap:

Back to... water coming SOON!

NHK 7 pm evening news leads with helicopter water dropping...

Shows a very grim looking Prime Minister Kan.

Report seems to confirm that only Reactor #3 was the target of the morning air water drops...

Scarce mention of the water truck spraying...due to start "soon."

Edited by jfchandler

Like john, I am going to take a break - can someone please pm when and if they manage to start putting some water on any of the reactors- I am no longer fussy as to which one- but I would choose 3,4,2 and 1 in that order if I could.

So... I'm old and stupid, can someone help me understand how they are now predicting a "massive blackout" tonight in Tokyo in addition to the already planned rolling blackouts as a result of the non-producing Fukushima units? Forecast temps are not changing drastically for Tokyo. What are they expecting to happen tonight? Does it have anything to do with the fact that none of us have seen the results of the US overfly? Or the pumping that will be starting any minute?

So this is just business as usual? "oh, yea, we're running a bit late, but we will start pumping any time now." It reminds me of walking along in the jungle that is so full of life and sounds and noise, then suddenly it would go deathly silent... no pun intended.

French Industry Minister Eric Besson said: "Let's not beat about the bush. They have lost control of the situation."

Pity the Japanese authorities have been unable to come up with similarly pithy summaries. If they have truly lost it then they should say so and start dealing with what will follow.

Edited by Crushdepth

Pity the Japanese authorities have been unable to come up with similarly pithy summaries. If they have truly lost it then they should say so and start dealing with what will follow.

Like: "let's not beat around the bush-we have never had control of this situation"

A bit harsh and surely a dis-service to the fukushima 50 (300), but fairly accurate in hindsight.

So... I'm old and stupid, can someone help me understand how they are now predicting a "massive blackout" tonight in Tokyo in addition to the already planned rolling blackouts as a result of the non-producing Fukushima units? Forecast temps are not changing drastically for Tokyo. What are they expecting to happen tonight? Does it have anything to do with the fact that none of us have seen the results of the US overfly? Or the pumping that will be starting any minute?

From the reports I've read, the actual power usage yesterday and today has been running above predicted levels, and is headed toward exceeding their system capacity during the early evening hours of peak use...

So I think the govt. was warning of the possibility of a blackout, if they couldn't manage to trim the load on their Tokyo area power system...

Where I come from, no utility would ever allow that kind of thing to occur. They'd automatically shut down or brown out pre-selected areas in order to avoid having a catastrophic failure of their grid network, before it ever could happen.

Just as a reminder to others, the Fukushima nuclear plants, prior to the earthquake, were a significant power supplier to the Tokyo area.

Here's a fuller quote of what the French Industry Minister said (yesterday):

"Let's not beat about the bush. They have visibly lost the essential of control (of the situation). That is our analysis, in any case, it's not what they are saying," Besson told BFM television.

- Reuters

Edited by Crushdepth

Welcome to Asian honorific culture; where saving face is paramount.

Here's a fuller quote of what the French Industry Minister said:

"Let's not beat about the bush. They have visibly lost the essential of control (of the situation). That is our analysis, in any case, it's not what they are saying," Besson told BFM television.

- Reuters

Excuse me, but this was yesterday. Not current.

Despite all the technology at their disposal, Japanese TV always loves to do mockup models and graphics...

NHK just ran a report on how the coming soon truck water spraying would occur, quoting a senior police official.

Says the truck will be stationed about 50 meters away from the number 3 reactor, and then rotating two man crews will staff the truck (or trucks), so no single crew is staying there too long.

If I'm catching this right, they're saying the police truck can spray about 4 tons of water in about one minute... and then needs to be refilled.

post-53787-0-89171800-1300357564_thumb.j

- Reuters

You think things have improved since yesterday???

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NHK reporting police not able to reach their target with the water cannon due to high radiation, and now have fallen back!!!!

James??? James??? Where are you James???

Edited by jfchandler

Still getting 'you don't have permission' on all downloads, no idea why.

But the readings here http://www.bousai.ne.jp/eng/ seem all a bit lower again than yesterday, and most are around background level.

Ditto re no permission. Maybe the uploaders need to change the permissions on their own galleries? I don't know....

But if you look at the number of downloads, it implies that no-one can view any attached pictures. Take for example jfchandlers post #1279, there is only one download of the image PS0051.jpg till now. Which I guess was the OP checking the link himself. If others could access it, then surely there would be more downloads?

Guys, can you post links to images please rather than upload them to the site? Or alternatively, post the original link in addition to the upload? Thanks.

- Reuters

You think things have improved since yesterday???

Yep, and they're gona get a whole lot better tomorrow....

NHK airing report on large evacuation shelter, saying they've only had two hot meals (as opposed to not hot food) in the past week. Says many suffering from flu and stomach problems. Running short of drinking water.

post-53787-0-80970100-1300358234_thumb.j

U.S. military transport delivers JSDF supply trucks to Aomori port.

post-53787-0-97558300-1300358277_thumb.j

Cabbages selling in Sendai open air market for 500 yen apiece.

Edited by jfchandler

Still getting 'you don't have permission' on all downloads, no idea why.

But the readings here http://www.bousai.ne.jp/eng/ seem all a bit lower again than yesterday, and most are around background level.

Ditto re no permission. Maybe the uploaders need to change the permissions on their own galleries? I don't know....

But if you look at the number of downloads, it implies that no-one can view any attached pictures. Take for example jfchandlers post #1279, there is only one download of the image PS0051.jpg till now. Which I guess was the OP checking the link himself. If others could access it, then surely there would be more downloads?

Guys, can you post links to images please rather than upload them to the site? Or alternatively, post the original link in addition to the upload? Thanks.

It's best and fastest when you copy the image from a site and then just paste it here. It works for most images very well and saves a lot of time. If it doesn't work at all, try to change your browser.

NHK reporting police not able to reach their target with the water cannon due to high radiation, and now have fallen back!!!!

JF... can you clarify? So... are you telling us why it is too quiet?

Are you guys saying you can't access the radiation test results screen capture jpg I posted??

I checked it after posting, and was able to view it fine...

What about the other recent jpgs I've posted from the NHK News broadcast?

Here's a fuller quote of what the French Industry Minister said (yesterday):

- Reuters

Gee it's ok when some "official" says something to this effect but when it comes from not so "official" sources (at least as for all you know)it's just conspiracy theories?

Seem to recall some time back mentioning that this was not transparent and being whitewashed and then being lambasted for that obviously prophetic comment :whistling: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I thought I was pretty clear...

The police have retreated due to high radiation levels...

Scratch the water cannon truck/s -- at least for now.

Now what???

JF... can you clarify? So... are you telling us why it is too quiet?