Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

george

James, True and or the Thai govt. is still blocking all Ustream access, AFAIK... Certainly is for me here in BKK..

But I recognize that link you've posted.. I think it's just the regular NHK World broadcast.

here's a different link... http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-gtv

Yes, the ustream link is the the same video as on the NHK World site, but in higher resolution, thus bigger image on the screen.

P.S. Actually, NHK world at resulution of 512K gives a bigger image than Ustream.

Edited by Maestro
Added postscript.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh...I think I have an idea...

Sometimes, if I need to post something quickly, I'll do that... and then go back in later to edit the post and add a photo or clean something up...

I'm guessing, if you try to access a jpg while the original post is being edited, the TV system will answer "no permission."

Pls try the earlier posts again now... I'm not editing any at present.

Can't download any of your attachments JF, and it looks like no one else can (except maybe moderators). Don't know why. Can you maybe inline them instead?

The police charged with the water cannon operation seem to have run for the hills...

python_run_away.jpg

Are you guys saying you can't access the radiation test results screen capture jpg I posted??

I checked it after posting, and was able to view it fine...

What about the other recent jpgs I've posted from the NHK News broadcast?

Can't access any of your attached jpgs... or anyone else's, just get error #10171, no permission.....

PS - I believe "downloading" in the TV system is different than viewing...

You're viewing an image when you click the smaller version in the post..

You're downloading only when, in the viewing mode, you click the "download" button at the bottom right of the window to open a "file save" dialog box.

But if you look at the number of downloads, it implies that no-one can view any attached pictures. Take for example jfchandlers post #1279, there is only one download of the image PS0051.jpg till now. Which I guess was the OP checking the link himself. If others could access it, then surely there would be more downloads?

I'm not aware of any user permissions to set in my TV profile for forum access to posted jpgs. nor has anyone had any problem with my jpg posting in the past..

But if anyone has any advice, I'll happily follow it.. I've been posting countless jpgs for the past week here.

I'm not posting them for my own enjoyment... :(:(

Edited by jfchandler

I thought I was pretty clear...

The police have retreated due to high radiation levels...

Scratch the water cannon truck/s -- at least for now.

Now what???

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NHK reporting police not able to reach their target with the water cannon due to high radiation, and now have fallen back!!!!

James??? James??? Where are you James???

JF... can you clarify? So... are you telling us why it is too quiet?

Now what? Based on the statements of earlier today, Is that not just a question of physics?

Does this explain how they can "predict" a massive blackout? Am I the only person old enough to question "government?" BS? Has the Emperor of Japan's jet left the country?

NHK now reporting two special fire engines began shooting water at Reactor #3 at 7:35 and 7:45 pm Japan time tonight...

No explanation of how they could when the police could not... I'm presuming, the fire engines may have the ability to hit the reactor from a distance farther away than the police vehicle.

The plant is located by the sea. I assume Japan has fire boats in Tokyo Bay. Why not run them up the coast to the site? I'd venture fire boats pack stronger pumps than fire trucks. If the spray doesn't reach, then attach hoses. Innovation is not an Asian forte. It appears that the entire day has been wasted by not spraying essential water on the problem areas - other than a couple helicopter drops, which I knew wouldn't work before they started doing it.

Also: there could already be one or more core meltdowns going on, and we're simply not being told, as official media continues to try and downplay every facet of the calamity as much as possible.

re; the suffering survivors along the NE coast: Not enough is being done to get them survival essentials, period. There needs to be a greater concerted effort to get them blankets, food, water and medicine. The mayor of one stricken towns said 'thank you, but please send more' to the aid providers, but he was being typically Japanese exceedingly polite. Reading between the lines, you could see he wanted a lot more assistance for his people, but he felt somebody would lose face if he said plainly, something like: "Don't just bring us a few little things. We've got a thousand people in this tiny shelter. Some are injured, some are dying. This is a rich nation, please tell your bosses to send a decent amount of essential materials and food as soon as possible!"

Edited by brahmburgers

There's a maximum time until tomorrow for cooling down the fuel rods.

When the meltdown starts then there's nothing that can stop it. It will burn through all layers trough the earth crust until it mingels with the hot substances inside our planet. On the way down there can be many issues, like porous layers of stones and rocks, ground water etc. that can make it a real world wide catastrophy.

The partial melt-down was misinterpreted many times. The damaged rods have a protection skin that maybe damaged in many rods. The core of the fuel rods starts to heat up until it ignites which has not happened yet. Once it ignites it's over and nothing can be done except to protect as much of the environment as possible.

In case they manage to be able to cool them, it's far from over. The rods need to be secured then for years and cooled for a long period of time (decades). I wonder how they can manage that.

Here's an NHK image of the fire trucks..presumably...before they were deployed at the reactor plant...

Apologize in advance if people have problems accessing it... Tywais is checking on the problem...

No mention from NHK of when or where the photo was taken.

post-53787-0-00272900-1300359823_thumb.j

7:48pm Emergency crews temporarily withdrew a water cannon from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex because of high radiation levels, broadcaster NHK says.

The water cannon had been called in to spray the Fukushima Daiichi complex's number 3 reactor, which contains plutonium fuel and has been the top priority for authorities.

Aljazeera

Send them to Thailand???

(just trying not to lose one's sense of humor amid all this stuff) :)

In case they manage to be able to cool them, it's far from over. The rods need to be secured then for years and cooled for a long period of time (decades). I wonder how they can manage that.

Hehe, in all seriousness, why then dont just drop nam ken from the heli's? or ice? one of the simplest things i just thought of hehe, it should be easier to hit the target and cooler when frozen...

I guess i could come up with 100's of more suggestions just now but im not an expert so maybe it is better that i don't suggest much but just wondering as ice should be the same as water...

Edited by James3212

Seems more something an admin need to fix, support forum?

I've verified there is a problem using a non-privileged test account. My admin account everything is fine (Firefox), the test account (IE) many images don't show though the Monty one does. Have submitted a topic to the mods forum to look into this.

Military helicopters in Japan have dumped water on reactors at the quake-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station in an effort to cool down a spent fuel storage pool, local media said.

The operator of the power plant in northeast Japan said on Thursday that pressure was rising again at reactor number 3, which includes plutonium and uranium in its fuel mix.

Two CH-47 helicopters scooped up seawater and released it over the reactors while another helicopter checked radiation levels in the air.

Al Jazeera's Andrew Thomas, reporting from Osaka, said "four flights were made and of those water-drops by the helicopters, only one hit its target". (- ouch!)

LIVE BLOG

"Given that more than a hundred would be required to hit dead-on to fill the reactors with enough water to cool the rods, it is – forgive the phrase – a bit of drop in the ocean at the moment," our correspondent said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/03/20113174413417272.html

Are you guys saying you can't access the radiation test results screen capture jpg I posted??

I checked it after posting, and was able to view it fine...

What about the other recent jpgs I've posted from the NHK News broadcast?

Can't access any of your attached jpgs... or anyone else's, just get error #10171, no permission.....

can't download so too for many days, get message about error.