U.S. State Department spokesman PJ Crowley resigns over WikiLeaks comments

News_Editor

U.S. State Department spokesman PJ Crowley resigns over WikiLeaks comments

2011-03-14 00:27:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. State Department spokesman Philip P.J. Crowley resigned from his position on Sunday as a result of comments he made over the treatment of WikiLeaks suspect Bradley E. Manning.

Crowley, who has been the Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs since May 2009, came under fire earlier this week when he said the treatment of Private First Class Bradley Manning was "ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid." Manning is suspected of having leaked secret U.S. files to whistle-blowing organization WikiLeaks.

"It is with regret that I have accepted the resignation of Philip J. Crowley as Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement. "PJ has served our nation with distinction for more than three decades, in uniform and as a civilian. His service to country is motivated by a deep devotion to public policy and public diplomacy, and I wish him the very best."

Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary (PDAS) Michael Hammer will serve as Acting Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, Clinton said.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-14

Crowley, who has been the Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs since May 2009, came under fire earlier this week when he said the treatment of Private First Class Bradley Manning was "ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid."

Nice to see some folks like Philip P.J. Crowley have the conscious to speak their mind.

Sad that folks like him are far & few between & now we have one less in government at a time when we need hundreds more.

Edited by flying

"It is with regret that I have accepted the resignation of Philip J. Crowley as Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement. "PJ has served our nation with distinction for more than three decades, in uniform and as a civilian. His service to country is motivated by a deep devotion to public policy and public diplomacy, and I wish him the very best."

The observers say he came under pressure from White House officials and was forced to resign.

Why don't make that official?

Michael Hammer, President Barack Obama's NSC spokesman, had been sent to State earlier this year, with the plan for him to succeed Crowley.

The process was speeded up after attendees at a Massachusetts Institute of Technology appearance by Crowley reported that he had called the Pentagon's handling of Manning, who is detained at the brig at Quantico, "ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid."

http://www.politico....0311/51197.html

He knew he was on the way out and probably got sick of playing the politics game. Can't say as I blame him. I am pretty sure he knew what would happen when he made the comments. At the time of his statement he was asked if this was "for the record" to which he replied "Sure".

Manning has now been provided some 'jammies to sleep in. I understand they have little bunnies on them, and even come with the feet to keep his toes warm.***

***No! I do not have a link to support this post. I am not certain they have little bunnies on them.