UPDATE1 - U.S. State Department spokesman PJ Crowley resigns over WikiLeaks comments

News_Editor

UPDATE1 - U.S. State Department spokesman PJ Crowley resigns over WikiLeaks comments

2011-03-14 01:12:18 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. State Department spokesman Philip P.J. Crowley resigned from his position on Sunday after publicly condemning the treatment of WikiLeaks suspect Bradley E. Manning.

Crowley, who has been the Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs since May 2009, came under fire earlier this week when he said the treatment of Private First Class Bradley Manning was "ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid." Manning is suspected of having leaked secret U.S. files to whistle-blowing organization WikiLeaks, causing a diplomatic disaster of epic proportions.

"It is with regret that I have accepted the resignation of Philip J. Crowley as Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement. "PJ has served our nation with distinction for more than three decades, in uniform and as a civilian. His service to country is motivated by a deep devotion to public policy and public diplomacy, and I wish him the very best."

BBC journalist Philippa Thomas first reported Crowley's comments on her blog on Thursday. "I just heard an extraordinary remark from State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley," she wrote on her Wordpress website. Crowley made the comments when speaking to a small audience at MIT and was referring to reports that Manning was forced to sleep naked for several days.

The comments by Crowley quickly made headlines, although overshadowed by news coverage of the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan. U.S. President Barack Obama was asked about Crowley's comments on Friday during a news conference.

"I have actually asked the Pentagon whether or not the procedures that have been taken in terms of his confinement are appropriate and are meeting our basic standards. They assure me that they are," Obama said. When asked if he disagreed with Crowley, the President said: "I think I gave you an answer to the substantive issue."

In a statement to announce his resignation, Crowley defended his remarks but said the unauthorized disclosure of classified information is a serious crime under U.S. law. "My recent comments regarding the conditions of the pre-trial detention of Private First Class Bradley Manning were intended to highlight the broader, even strategic impact of discreet actions undertaken by national security agencies every day and their impact on our global standing and leadership," Crowley said. "The exercise of power in today's challenging times and relentless media environment must be prudent and consistent with our laws and values."

He added: "Given the impact of my remarks, for which I take full responsibility, I have submitted my resignation as Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs and Spokesman for the Department of State."

Crowley said he is "enormously grateful" to Obama and Clinton for the "high honor" of serving the American people. "I leave with great admiration and affection for my State colleagues, who promote our national interest both on the front lines and in the quiet corners of the world. It was a privilege to help communicate their many and vital contributions to our national security. And I leave with deep respect for the journalists who report on foreign policy and global developments every day, in many cases under dangerous conditions and subject to serious threats. Their efforts help make governments more responsible, accountable and transparent," he added.

Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary (PDAS) Michael Hammer will serve as Acting Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-14