Installing Bum Gun In Usa

farang000999

Will the bum guns that they sell here fit the pipe in the USA? I can't remember what the toilets look like there.

Also, I am assuming there is only one faucet that goes to the toilet, is it possible to split this or will i need to have heavy plumbing work done?

You will need to check for avaiable connection. Add a valve for isolation, take your bum gun with you to the store and ask advice. Or the other alternative is. I used to be a Plumber in during my working days. Take me with you and I will do for you, free of charge. Just expences? :whistling:

jb1

Tap water in Denver was cold enough to cause buttons to break when washing shirts..

Easy solution - plumb the bum gun into the hot water supply :o

Simon

Lovely - scalding hot water squirted up your Jacksie..

Or .... plumb and set a mixture? Then you are talking major overhaul of the plumbing which I think the OP was looking to avoid.

I looked into this, and you can do it pretty easily yourself, but a plumber can't do it, at least where I live, as it is against code. It has something to do with back pressure, safety valves, and I really don't know what else.

I looked into this, and you can do it pretty easily yourself, but a plumber can't do it, at least where I live, as it is against code. It has something to do with back pressure, safety valves, and I really don't know what else.

Maybe call a Thai-American plumber?

Yes that is correct. Because the bum wash end is effectively an open end. The theory is that it could be left in stagnant/ contaminated water, which could syphon back into the main and contaminate it. Which I have always disagreed with, as you would have the syphon pressure of practically zero, trying to take the contaminated water back, against a mains pressure. In the UK of anything from 30 to 80 lb per sq inch. Not going to happen. But guess what HSE. So you have to fit an anti vacuum valve/ non return.

Just another piece of useless information.

jb1

Just to add of course mains water in the UK is also drinking water.

Edited by jimbeam1

Yes that is correct. Because the bum wash end is effectively an open end. The theory is that it could be left in stagnant/ contaminated water, which could syphon back into the main and contaminate it. Which I have always disagreed with, as you would have the syphon pressure of practically zero, trying to take the contaminated water back, against a mains pressure. In the UK of anything from 30 to 80 lb per sq inch. Not going to happen. But guess what HSE. So you have to fit an anti vacuum valve/ non return.

jb1

Do you mean they think you will leave the shooting end in the toilet bowl? If it is like in Thailand, the thing hangs up outside the bowl.

And what is the difference between one in the bathroom and one by your kitchen sink?

I know you wrote you disagree, but I still wonder what their problem is on this (writing as a man with a Thai bum gun sitting in his bathroom closet back in the US).

the difference between the one in the toilet and the one in a western kitchen sink is the kitchen sink one requires the water to be turned on at the faucet in order to work. The bum gun, and this has happened to me, has no safety mechanism so that if the hose bursts, it will flood your house if you are not there.

the difference between the one in the toilet and the one in a western kitchen sink is the kitchen sink one requires the water to be turned on at the faucet in order to work. The bum gun, and this has happened to me, has no safety mechanism so that if the hose bursts, it will flood your house if you are not there.

which is why one has an isolation valve by the wall where the supply to the toilet tank is...moist toilets in asia have recessed floors with floor drains with less danger of a catastrophe if the bum gun assembly fails when no one is home...

installation is easy; there is a supply pipe to yer toilet tank coming out of the wall near the toilet...put in a 'T' connection to have this pipe supply the bum gun as well with the isolation valve on the branch to the device...open and close the valve when needed when in a western house with no recessed bathroom floor or floor drain...

^Yeah and people are going to remember the close the valve every time they use it because theres such a clear indication that the valve has been left open.whistling.gif

The only safe solution would be to rig one up to the sink in the bathroom, requiring the faucet to be turned on to use, this way impossible for it to be left on.

The problem is not siphoning, but pressure... water pressure here is, well... sad.

It's no problem leaving an open faucet connected to a piece of relatively thin hose with a trigger nozzle at the end...

Do that in most modern western cities, and you face two risks:

1. The continuous water pressure inside the hose, combined with the stress of turning the trigger on and then shutting it off, makes the risk of splitting the hose significantly higer than here.

2. Pointing a high pressure water nozzle at your clacker and pressing the trigger may give you more than you bargained for! Self administered enima... aagghhh!!! :bah:

On the plus side... the the poster who pointed out that tap water in the UK is also drinking water... if you get thirsty while your doing your business... :blink:

OK, that makes sense.

BillR -

http://www.sanicare.com/Sanicare-100-All-Chrome-Hand-Bidet-p/s100ac.htm

What do you think about this? It's pricey but does it solve the problem of flooding w/ the valve feature?

I have one & will say it is excellent.

The main thing as others have pointed out is the valve.

Also while someone else asked what will folks do shut off the valve each time?

With these valves (ceramic core) you need not worry about such things anymore than you would worry about the toilet valve itself failing.

Because these valves are better quality than the toilet valve itself.

The unit came with all of these

http://www.sanicare.com/Sanicare-Hand-held-bidet-Valves-s/99.htm

One to T off the toilet...which in itself is important as many cheap models use plastic

HAtfitting-1.jpg

One to regulate pressure at the toilet end

TFitting-1.jpg

Lastly one to regulate fine tune pressure at the handle

inlinecv-1.jpg

All valves have ceramic cores & the handle itself & hose is excellent quality as well.

I have no association with the company but really appreciate a product so well thought out.

Edited by flying

jb1

Do you mean they think you will leave the shooting end in the toilet bowl? If it is like in Thailand, the thing hangs up outside the bowl.

And what is the difference between one in the bathroom and one by your kitchen sink?

I know you wrote you disagree, but I still wonder what their problem is on this (writing as a man with a Thai bum gun sitting in his bathroom closet back in the US).

It can and has happened and caused numerous related illnesses and deaths to masses of people in some communities it's not just a knee jerk reaction. The scenarios for this happening are far and wide ranging and too many to fully explain but say for example that yes, someones adventurous child had played with and left the bum gun in a toilet and then for whatever reason the water pressure dropped in the system for any length of time it then becomes a back siphon and sucks this contaminated water back through the system and can spread disease from there far and wide once water is pumping again, similar scenarios have occurred so this is not far fetched..

It is one of many reasons we ALWAYS boil our drinking water here at hoke or use only bottled water outside given the careless and indiscreet manner in which the bum gun is handled here and then left in the cistern next to the toilet to refill it combined with the numerous water cut offs here it's incredible there has not been a wholesale intestinal catastrophe here yet that has been publicized anyway (yet)....