Water Machines In Chiang Mai?

jackers

I found 5 before I saw your replies, none outside my guest house but there is one 5 minutes down the road. Oh and none of them were big and blue they were medium sized and creamy white with instructions in thai. So more spending 26 -30 baht on water for me.

I found 5 before I saw your replies, none outside my guest house but there is one 5 minutes down the road. Oh and none of them were big and blue they were medium sized and creamy white with instructions in thai. So more spending 26 -30 baht on water for me.

You couldn't read the instructions so you gave up? Stiick 3 1 baht coins in. Put your 6 litre bottle under the tap. Press the green button. Don't worry, it'll only give you 6 litres, unless you find an expensive one in which case you'll need to add a few more Baht. Don't worry, if it overflows press the red button.

I only use this water for cooking, and sometimes boil it for a cup of coffee. If you're in a house, water can be delivered for 30-40B a crate.

Final piece of advice - the new 1 baht coins don't work, only use the older, dull and slightly fatter ones.

Its really not that hard....

why bother go to rimping 7-11 tesco or big c

35 bat for 6 lits it might as well be free

Plenty of companies that will deliver 20 litre bottles to your door for 20 baht.Shop around.Ours (Polestar)comes every Saturday morning around 10 am, very convenient.

I've heard that the water from the tap is safe for cooking, but I have doubts about the integrity of the piping from the city tap into my faucet. Everything else in my condo building is a wreck, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have plumbing problems beyond the control of the municipal supplier of water. So, we use water from one of those machines for all cooking.

Once, however I drank about 1 liter of tap water over a 36 hr period without realizing it. Hubby had filled up one of our 1.5 liter water bottles with tap water to use in watering houseplants. He left the bottle in the bathroom and I thought it was our normal drinking water. It did taste a little "off", but I just figured it was time to dispose of the bottle and get a new one. I suffered no ill effects, but am not making this standard practice. Now the bottle for plant watering is clearly labeled!

You couldn't read the instructions so you gave up? Stiick 3 1 baht coins in. Put your 6 litre bottle under the tap. Press the green button. Don't worry, it'll only give you 6 litres, unless you find an expensive one in which case you'll need to add a few more Baht. Don't worry, if it overflows press the red button.

I only use this water for cooking, and sometimes boil it for a cup of coffee. If you're in a house, water can be delivered for 30-40B a crate.

Final piece of advice - the new 1 baht coins don't work, only use the older, dull and slightly fatter ones.

Its really not that hard....

No, I filled 4 bottles, it's really not rocket science, it was just finding a machine that I had a problem with.

I only use this water for cooking, and sometimes boil it for a cup of coffee.

you can use the tap water for this.

Not a chance!

Edit: The Karen woman who cleans my house told me that 2 farangs whose house she also cleans, only drink tap water. They are both English teachers in their 30's. She said the water in the moobaan where they live is filthy and that she was shocked when she discovered there was no bottled water in their house. Now she brings her own bottled water with her when she goes to work there.

Edited by elektrified

Yes, on most machines you can see the blue pvc pipe running back to the building into the water supply. Just filtered tap water.

Jackers:

another thing is to make sure its a well used machine, otherwise you may get a couple of bottles of old smelly water. Also, if there is not a machine very close to your building, the building may have have water delivery set up, or sell it on their own. May want to ask the office...

I only use this water for cooking, and sometimes boil it for a cup of coffee.

you can use the tap water for this.

Yes, it's the same water they use to fill these "machines" :D

• 8 months later...

Me and the GF normally fill up at the machine at the apartment reception, but the other day we filled up at another machine on the street.....and the water was definitely not right, tasted disgusting and not right, even in coffee.

We threw that lot away and refilled at our apartment.

The questions I have are:-

1. Does anyone know who looks after and services these machines? Or are they just left for years?

2. What actually does reverse obmosis (or whatever) actually do? What do these machines actually do?

3. I guess these machines are fed by mains tap water and the water comes out at a rate, so how does the water get 'cleaned' so quickly?

4. Are there any serious long term/short term consequences from consistently drinking tap water?

Just curious!

Edited by kjhbigv

Me and the GF normally fill up at the machine at the apartment reception, but the other day we filled up at another machine on the street.....and the water was definitely not right, tasted disgusting and not right, even in coffee.

1. Does anyone know who looks after and services these machines? Or are they just left for years?

2. What actually does reverse obmosis (or whatever) actually do? What do these machines actually do?

3. I guess these machines are fed by mains tap water and the water comes out at a rate, so how does the water get 'cleaned' so quickly?

4. Are there any serious long term/short term consequences from consistently drinking tap water?

Just curious!

1. Doubt it. Probably like everything else mechanical in Thailand..Zero Maintenance, just run it until it stops.

2. Membrane technical filtration. Something to do with cleaning out large molecules and ions form the membranes. No I am not a scientist am I ?

3. Anyone's guess as we can't see what the hell goes on inside the machine.

4. Not that I've heard of and I know many Thai's who have drunk Tap water and well water all their lives. Some of them look 73 but maybe they are only 30 !!

Just curious!

I've got a machine. There is a series of "normal" filters inside, going from 20 micron to 5 micron and then two activated charcoal canisters to remove the chlorine taste. Finally a sediment filter (1 micron) and then the RO membrane. The RO membrane has very fine pores which allow water molecules to pass but anything bigger cannot ( eg organic material, sodium chloride etc.) Its not quite distilled water but not far off. Finally most have an ozone generator which pumps O3 into the water to disinfect. Some also have uv.

Now maintenance. If the filters become clogged with sediment (and there is a lot!!!!) they will blind out and water will not pass. There are 2 choices: replace the filter or remove the filter. Depends who does the maintenance. As far as I know they are totally unregulated unlike in other countries. Same applies to the RO membrane

Just curious!

I've got a machine. There is a series of "normal" filters inside, going from 20 micron to 5 micron and then two activated charcoal canisters to remove the chlorine taste. Finally a sediment filter (1 micron) and then the RO membrane. The RO membrane has very fine pores which allow water molecules to pass but anything bigger cannot ( eg organic material, sodium chloride etc.) Its not quite distilled water but not far off. Finally most have an ozone generator which pumps O3 into the water to disinfect. Some also have uv.

Now maintenance. If the filters become clogged with sediment (and there is a lot!!!!) they will blind out and water will not pass. There are 2 choices: replace the filter or remove the filter. Depends who does the maintenance. As far as I know they are totally unregulated unlike in other countries. Same applies to the RO membrane

A word of warning to parents of young children. The filters are so efficient that fluoride is removed, and you're not getting 'mineral water', but fairly pure water only.

In spite of what the doom and gloom-sayers rant on about, fluoride is quite important for kids' teeth until around the age of 12. Practically all bottled water in Indonesia is labelled 'mineral water'; does this apply in Thailand?

My four had fluoridated water until 12 years old, and at age 40 and a bit less, there are no fillings yet! I only wish I could say the same.