Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody has mentioned the affluent or not so affluent Thais who wear shorts. If you are the boss you wear what the hell you like.

Obviously the OP has not visited ChinaTown recently or any non-corporate Thai business.

Why should they? The question was about expats wearing shorts. :whistling:

If God had meant us to wear long pants then he wouldn't have given us hairy legs.

Not sure if you have fully thought that one through Ian...

Unless you either a) remain pre-pubescent or B) are pre-planning an excuse for streaking...... :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237

Why should they? The question was about expats wearing shorts. :whistling:

Yes but if you read the whole thread there are lots of references to culture and climate.

Expats wear shorts for the same reason Thais do, it makes sense in a tropical climate.

If God had meant us to wear long pants then he wouldn't have given us hairy legs.

Not sure if you have fully thought that one through Ian...

Unless you either a) remain pre-pubescent or B) are pre-planning an excuse for streaking...... :whistling:

Yes, I DID think that through, Rich. I meant it for fun just as this whole thread was meant for fun. I've got more hair on my butt than I have on my head. Oh, and I'm not adverse to walking around naked. I spent 2 months in a hospital burn ward and lost any sense of modesty I might have had as a youth.

I'm not talking about the 2-4 weeks tourists, but about long time expats who are wearing shorts an short sleeve shirts.

Why do they do this? :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have seen alot of things asked on Thai Visa, but this is the stupidest question I have ever seen.

FD :)

Have to agree completely...why wouldn't you wear shorts here unless you have to go to the office everyday which I did for 5 years...

R u serious?

I have lived over 20 years in phuket and except for the short time i have worked for someone else i have Always worn shorts.

I might ask why would you wear long, hot jeans and or a suit unless ur at work?

Exactly..As an aside, its always made me giggle when people claim you should get dressed up when going to immigration, especially those seeking out tourist visas...wear trousers and dress to actually look like an English teacher and then wonder why they are refused a tourist visa because the officer suspects they are working illegally.:rolleyes:

I dont see anything wrong with shorts in LOS..as farangs we can get away with it whereas a Thai might put scorn on a fellow Thai for wearing shorts...and i guess for us Aussie kangaroos it is probably expected.

the trick is to make em NICE ones..nothing under 1000k baht,..and helps if they are not the 5 year old paper thin ones with holes in the ar$e ;)

the trick is to make em NICE ones..nothing under 1000k baht

As most of the lower classes can not tell expensive shorts form cheap ones, I always laminate the price tag and attach it to the pants. I'm have no doubt that the officers at immigration are suitably impressed. :whistling:

There's nothing wrong with wearing shorts and t-shirts, though guys who wear vests just looking annoying and a bit cheap, but all too their own; so in the daytime it's ok; but on a night out it's a bit odd. I understand if it's Khoa San or lower parts of Sukhumvit I guess (though either place, men will get more attention from the ladies if you look smarter than the dog on a stick types in Khoa San), but in places like Ekkamai, Thong Lor etc, tourists who wonder into a pub with shorts and vests just look embarrassing and you can definitly see the locals thinking 'oh my god, what do we have here?'

I tend to wear jeans or trousers and shirt most of the time, mainly because I prefer it and it suits me better, but at the same time sweating on a hot day I should be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Last point is, if you have to wear a shirt with shorts DO NOT TUCK IT IN, you just look ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with wearing shorts and t-shirts, though guys who wear vests just looking annoying and a bit cheap, but all too their own; so in the daytime it's ok; but on a night out it's a bit odd. I understand if it's Khoa San or lower parts of Sukhumvit I guess (though either place, men will get more attention from the ladies if you look smarter than the dog on a stick types in Khoa San), but in places like Ekkamai, Thong Lor etc, tourists who wonder into a pub with shorts and vests just look embarrassing and you can definitly see the locals thinking 'oh my god, what do we have here?'

I tend to wear jeans or trousers and shirt most of the time, mainly because I prefer it and it suits me better, but at the same time sweating on a hot day I should be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Last point is, if you have to wear a shirt with shorts DO NOT TUCK IT IN, you just look ridiculous.

I agree that the vest/singlet and shorts only tends to be work by older sexpats and gets you laballed as such. Otherwise i think these days shorts are fine- i noticed even in Thong lor at night some thai chinese rolling up in their sports cars and wearing shorts. 10-15 years ago i would have said that wearing shorts puts you in disadvantage especially in pulling thai birds- these days not at all.

polo shirt tucked in khaki shorts is absolutely ok and the uniform of the preppy guy everywhere!