Thaksin: A Continuing Menace

webfact

Analysis

Thaksin: A Continuing Menace

For a certain someone, there is nothing more important than being reinstalled back to power.

1.) Despite some remarks made by the red shirt leaders in the past, claiming that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is no longer relevant to their movement, the red shirts announced at their latest rally that they are still fighting for Thaksin. So it seems that the fugitive criminal is still using the red shirts for political purposes.

2.) Thaksin appeared at last Saturday’s red shirt rally via video conference, saying that he is currently living in an African country. The ex-premier also said that he has been living in exile for the past five years and would like a chance to return to Thailand to serve the Thai people once again.

Thaksin, whose assets were seized in a number of corruption cases, added that he would like to see Thai people decide their political future for themselves in the next general election. If his Pheu Thai Party is elected, he and his team will come back to Thailand. Thaksin told his supporters, “we must give the Pheu Thai Party a land slide victory in the next election so I can return to Thailand to solve the economic problems. I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.”

Because of this, it is clear that both the red shirt movement and Pheu Thai Party are still subservient to Thaksin. They should have known that Thaksin is ineligible to compete in the election, whether as an MP or prime minister. With many outstanding criminal charges against him, he will certainly be arrested the moment he sets foot in Thailand.

Either way, voting for Pheu Thai does not mean that Thaksin will come back. Unless the Pheu Thai Party decides to exonerate the ex-premier from all his wrongdoings, including the reimbursement of 46 billion baht seized from him.

3.) If the Pheu Thai Party fails to win in the next election, it would be wearisome to see Thaksin supporters come back and continue to preach that Thailand is not a democratic country. Does the “democracy” that red shirts’ envision only have the Pheu Thai in power?

4.) It is also amusing to see Thaksin exchange quips with a young man, who asked the former prime minister on his social network website, “Why are you barking so much?”

Thaksin replied “nothing, I was only giving useful, moral information to those who are willing to listen.”

Who exactly is listening?

Taken from Guan Nam Hai Sai Column, Naewna Newspaper, Page 5, March 14, 2011

Translated and Rewritten by Kongkrai Maksrivorawan

Please note that the views expressed in our "Analysis" segment are translated from local newspaper articles and do not reflect the views of the Thai-ASEAN News Network.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-15

footer_n.gif

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So come on then... who's gunna start the ball rolling on this one?

I'll have a try'

QUOTE:

Thaksin replied “nothing, I was only giving useful, moral information to those who are willing to listen.” END QUOTE.

Thaksin "giving useful,MORAL information" is a bit like Al Capone giving advice on how to withdraw money from banks.

Thaksin has been put in his place for the past few years, outside Thailand, as far as him being a menace, doubtful. The real menace to Thailand are those who are contemplating/trying to get the man back as a political player with authority.

I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months

I'm listening! Wow! That's change you have to be insane to believe in.

Surely no-one will believe this :ph34r: .....

Then again, many believed that the village loans were gifts from the man himself. Boy were they upset when the (Samak) government went asking for some repayments. :o

“we must give the Pheu Thai Party a land slide victory in the next election so I can return to Thailand to solve the economic problems. I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.”

There must be serious problems in the Thai education system and/or mental health and intelligence of Thai people if they seriously believe such bullshit.

I hope this stated "promise" by Thaksin, if they truly were his words, sways those in the undecided camp away from the manipulative despot.

To think that people actually died (and others permanently disabled) for his fight to get back into power is sickening.

Edited by hyperdimension

“we must give the Pheu Thai Party a land slide victory in the next election so I can return to Thailand to solve the economic problems. I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.”

There must be serious problems in the Thai education system and/or mental health and intelligence of Thai people if they believe such bullshit.

You can't blame them for WANTING to believe. Its the same basis as lottery ticket sales.

My ex girlfriend, once told me that Thaksin, would like Thailand to be similar to America and have a President and that is what he wants for himself. To be the first President of Thailand. Whatever else he is, he is a clever man.

jb1

Read his lips...and listen to what he did not say out loud, "I promise that I will make all Thai people rich (...in debts...) within six months" :whistling:

He did make a similar promise before he was even PM so many years ago - solving Bangkok's traffic woes in six months. And did he?

My ex girlfriend, once told me that Thaksin, would like Thailand to be similar to America and have a President and that is what he wants for himself. To be the first President of Thailand. Whatever else he is, he is a clever man.

jb1

That in itself isn't a horrible idea. The president idea, not the President Thaksin idea. But I think his idea of president is different than most.

post-37101-0-39507000-1300187268_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

What more is there to say? The OP says it, doesn't it? Thaksin = PTP = Red shirts

I'm trying for "Thaksin = PTP = UDD faction of the red-shirts". The other red-shirt factions don't make it easier for me though :ermm:

This man is not as clever as he thinks he is, or he would be still dictate here. Just a thought--am I Thai bashing to say that 5555. If he did all that in six months all the greed will be stopped--everyone would be rich-no more scams-expats and tourists would not be cheated. no more rice / oil/ coconut/ probs....and above all the Thai girls and boys would buy us houses and m/bikes

Edited by ginjag

Surely no-one will believe this :ph34r: .....

Then again, many believed that the village loans were gifts from the man himself. Boy were they upset when the (Samak) government went asking for some repayments. :o

And that's the worrying part,they just might believe him!

jb1

What your girlfriend told you is common knowledge in this country,that is why they needed to get rid of Thaksin.

TAN is clearly a mouthpeice of the evil elite, which should be silenced and punished accordingly upon the return of the square-headed saviour of Thailand.

Correct... it's owned by Sondhi Lim... 555. Just kidding, no punishment required. I actually agree that Thaksin is a menace, what I obviously don't agree with is that it's all about Thaksin though. Incidentally, Naewna is strongly yellow leaning too.

"... I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months"

Does anyone really believe this spin doctor of el torro poo poo?

I wonder if he actually believes it himself. I thought he was just lying because he knows saying that is the most effective way to get people to vote PT. If he actually believes it, he's more deluded than I thought. It's obvious he can never become PM again. Mind you I get the impression Thaksin's a great believer in positive thinking and in an "if you believe in it, it'll happen" philosophy, presumably based on the self-help books he reads. So maybe he does think he'll be PM again if he believes in it really strongly.

I heard Phum Jai Thai are going around telling voters that they're the only ones who can make sure Thaksin will come back. That's what CT did in last election, I believe.

what I obviously don't agree with is that it's all about Thaksin though.

That's what the UDD leaders (including Thaksin with help from Amsterdam & Peroff and their perception management team) have led you and other red shirt protesters and supporters to believe. They tried to hide the Thaksin connection during the April and May 2010 protests, at which time people thought the movement had gone beyond Thaksin. It fooled a lot of us until recently, though it seems some are still fooled.

Edited by hyperdimension

jb1

This was precisely the agenda: to create a dynasty similar to Marcos, Gadaffhi, Hussaein, Then Shwe and the other monsters who take control of their countries to serve their own lust for greed, power and control. He could not do so until there were significant changes at the very top of the ladder but the plans were in hand, make no mistake.

I have always believed that Khun Thaksin was off his rocker - he plays on the weak and vulnerable with such ridiculous statements about making all people rich, eradicating poverty and so on. He is a liar and an arch manipulator.

He is supported by those he pays - Thaksin is pure evil and those farangs who support him and the destruction he has wreaked on this country should be ashamed of themselves.

I absolutely hate him and the other Hitlers who wreck people's lives.

That's what the UDD leaders (including Thaksin with help from Amsterdam & Peroff and their perception management team) have led you and other red shirt protesters and supporters to believe.

I don't read anything by Amsterdam etc. Find the spin annoying. The ultimate goal of the UDD leadership might be bringing back Thaksin, I don't know. I suspect it's more complicated than that, I'd imagine most of them really believe they're doing something positive for Thailand and their people. Who knows. Delusional? Maybe.

But there are issues raised by ordinary red shirt supporters, like the lesse majeste issue, which I totally agree with. Also, I agree with opposing military and unelected elites interference in politics, even if electoral democracy results in PM's like Thaksin. If you don't let people learn for themselves and make their own mistakes, then you'll be forever trapped in the same cycle. I'd like to see the end of guided democracy and speaking to a lot of urban progressive red shirts, that's why they've joined the movement, not because of Thaksin.

Obviously it'd be better if they weren't still with the UDD, but there's been quite a lot of discontent recently with the leadership, much more than there was last year.

I'll have a try'

QUOTE:

Thaksin replied "nothing, I was only giving useful, moral information to those who are willing to listen." END QUOTE.

Thaksin "giving useful,MORAL information" is a bit like Al Capone giving advice on how to withdraw money from banks.

Well done Ratcatcher - best response of the day :clap2:

That's what the UDD leaders (including Thaksin with help from Amsterdam & Peroff and their perception management team) have led you and other red shirt protesters and supporters to believe.

I don't read anything by Amsterdam etc. Find the spin annoying. The ultimate goal of the UDD leadership might be bringing back Thaksin, I don't know. I suspect it's more complicated than that, I'd imagine most of them really believe they're doing something positive for Thailand and their people. Who knows. Delusional? Maybe.

But there are issues raised by ordinary red shirt supporters, like the lesse majeste issue, which I totally agree with. Also, I agree with opposing military and unelected elites interference in politics, even if electoral democracy results in PM's like Thaksin. If you don't let people learn for themselves and make their own mistakes, then you'll be forever trapped in the same cycle. I'd like to see the end of guided democracy and speaking to a lot of urban progressive red shirts, that's why they've joined the movement, not because of Thaksin.

Obviously it'd be better if they weren't still with the UDD, but there's been quite a lot of discontent recently with the leadership, much more than there was last year.

as ive said before emptyset emptymind or just one more naive idiot If Taksin or any of his clan ever get in say goodbye to freedom for thailand and hello Zimbabwie Libya Iraq (under Saddam) and rest of long list of despots

I don't read anything by Amsterdam etc. Find the spin annoying.

You would have a more complete view of what's going on if you did. Thaksin hired Amsterdam and Peroff for a purpose. Amsterdam and Peroff are a client of K Social Media Consulting LLC:

"Services include media relations, social media campaigns, business and issues advocacy blog creation and maintenance, content development, and corporate communications initiatives. KSM is specialized in handling international political and business issues, with experience in Europe, Latin America, Africa, and Asia."

The propaganda that they produce may not fool a lot of us here, but it certainly would fool the casual observer. By examining their propaganda material we get a better idea of what many people are taking in as fact, and this has an effect on people's perceptions overall of Thaksin, Abhisit and the current government. How people's perceptions are being shaped through social media should not be ignored.

The ultimate goal of the UDD leadership might be bringing back Thaksin, I don't know. I suspect it's more complicated than that, I'd imagine most of them really believe they're doing something positive for Thailand and their people. Who knows. Delusional? Maybe.

But there are issues raised by ordinary red shirt supporters, like the lesse majeste issue, which I totally agree with. Also, I agree with opposing military and unelected elites interference in politics, even if electoral democracy results in PM's like Thaksin.

If they are being paid by Thaksin then they have a job to do for their boss. Maybe they have other ideological reasons, but the first and foremost goal is to do what they are paid to do - kick out the current government from power to make way for the boss.

Mixing in ideological issues brings in more support from people who aren't Thaksin worshippers but want "true democracy" and equality, but such people are misled into thinking that they are fighting for such ideologies. Thaksin is only using ideological issues as one of his strategies to grab power.

If you don't let people learn for themselves and make their own mistakes, then you'll be forever trapped in the same cycle.

So why are so many people still supporting Thaksin? They haven't learned from their previous mistake of voting him in.

I'd like to see the end of guided democracy and speaking to a lot of urban progressive red shirts, that's why they've joined the movement, not because of Thaksin.

They are part of those people who think that they are fighting for ideologies when really the fight is to wrestle power away from the current government and "unelected elites" to make way for Thaksin.

I'd like to see true democracy too, but I don't think granting power to the power- and money-hungry and nepotist Thaksin is the way forward to it; it would be more like a step back.

Edited by hyperdimension

"I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months."

This comes from the mouth of someone who promised to solve Bangkok's traffic problems within 6/9/12 Months, I don't remember. But anyway, it was a lie like everything from this mouth.

"I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months."

This comes from the mouth of someone who promised to solve Bangkok's traffic problems within 6/9/12 Months, I don't remember. But anyway, it was a lie like everything from this mouth.

You mean he didn't remove all drugs from the country???

Rah Rah Rah! Only Thaksin could eliminate all the drugs throughout all areas of the whole country!

drugfree2.jpg

drugfree.jpg

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

- The Nation / April 13, 2003

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-declares-the-country-drug-free-area-77076.html

================================================

2,500 slaughtered in order to make some asinine, absurd, patently false claim.

jb1

This was precisely the agenda: to create a dynasty similar to Marcos, Gadaffhi, Hussaein, Then Shwe and the other monsters who take control of their countries to serve their own lust for greed, power and control. He could not do so until there were significant changes at the very top of the ladder but the plans were in hand, make no mistake.

I have always believed that Khun Thaksin was off his rocker - he plays on the weak and vulnerable with such ridiculous statements about making all people rich, eradicating poverty and so on. He is a liar and an arch manipulator.

He is supported by those he pays - Thaksin is pure evil and those farangs who support him and the destruction he has wreaked on this country should be ashamed of themselves.

I absolutely hate him and the other Hitlers who wreck people's lives.

I totally agree with you, he is a scary shit, could be the next Anti Christ.