Purchasing My First Tractor Los

ETC

Am very interested in getting some feedback on purchasing my first tractor in Thailand. Am leaning towards Ford, as they are good machines and parts are easy to come by in LOS. In selecting a tractor I know that its' usage is of utmost importance and my first choice would be the Ford 4WD 7710 due to its' all around and row crop capabilities.

Would love to hear from any of you TV folks as to your preference and why.

Thanks in advance!

Jim {etc}

Edited by ETC

I had a clutch put in a 6610 by a mechanic I used for the first time (no good buddy deal) in Prachon Chai. It cost 2900 bucks and since you know about tractors the fact that it has a dozer blade that has to have the entire system broken down to split it, it's a big job. Ooopps my mistake did I say bucks? dollars? well actually it was 2900 baht! 95 US dollars and anyone anywhere in Thaialand will be able to work on them and the parts are everywhere. Now the thing that really caught my attention when i first saw it is a system that you can put on them that allows you to have the Dozer blade and a loader all in the same hook-up. I think it is made by CMT but not positive. Forever Fords

I had a clutch put in a 6610 by a mechanic I used for the first time (no good buddy deal) in Prachon Chai. It cost 2900 bucks and since you know about tractors the fact that it has a dozer blade that has to have the entire system broken down to split it, it's a big job. Ooopps my mistake did I say bucks? dollars? well actually it was 2900 baht! 95 US dollars and anyone anywhere in Thaialand will be able to work on them and the parts are everywhere. Now the thing that really caught my attention when i first saw it is a system that you can put on them that allows you to have the Dozer blade and a loader all in the same hook-up. I think it is made by CMT but not positive. Forever Fords

Forever Ford

Actually I find 2900 baht reasonable for someone that does good reliable work. The dozer blade and loader same hookup sounds good too if it is of good quality, I will check on that. My implement wish list is a rotary slasher, rotavator, roadside grass cutter for grass on the fish ponds slopes, auger, plow disc set, 6 row corn planter and fertilizer, cultivator attachments, just to mention a few. I'm going to have a lot of shopping to do. Want to look around for a decent 2nd hand rubber tired backhoe too.

Jim {etc}

Forever Ford

Actually I find 2900 baht reasonable for someone that does good reliable work. The dozer blade and loader same hookup sounds good too if it is of good quality, I will check on that. My implement wish list is a rotary slasher, rotavator, roadside grass cutter for grass on the fish ponds slopes, auger, plow disc set, 6 row corn planter and fertilizer, cultivator attachments, just to mention a few. I'm going to have a lot of shopping to do. Want to look around for a decent 2nd hand rubber tired backhoe too.

Jim {etc}

Actually the 2900 was a tongue in cheek. I was completely happy with the job AND THE PRICE AS HE SAID HE WAS very busy and I ended up getting it back in 4 days. I would have paid double happily. Here's something [email protected] I got a Howard 2.3 meter rotavator without a clutch for well under $3000 US but it is manufactured in Malaysia not Australia. It is the Buffalo model which is the heavy duty one. I was able to buy it in Petchaburi and transport it to the farm and maybe you can check with the email adddress to see if he has a distributor somewhere closer to where you are located. Rootin' and Rotoin' in a Ford Forever

Forever Ford

Jim {etc}

Actually the 2900 was a tongue in cheek. I was completely happy with the job AND THE PRICE AS HE SAID HE WAS very busy and I ended up getting it back in 4 days. I would have paid double happily. Here's something [email protected] I got a Howard 2.3 meter rotavator without a clutch for well under $3000 US but it is manufactured in Malaysia not Australia. It is the Buffalo model which is the heavy duty one. I was able to buy it in Petchaburi and transport it to the farm and maybe you can check with the email adddress to see if he has a distributor somewhere closer to where you are located. Rootin' and Rotoin' in a Ford Forever

I thought you might be pulling my leg and thought I would see what you said next...lol... In the states a New 12 inch clutch kit with pressure plate, disc, pilot & release bearing for a Ford 6610 costs around US $264 (7920 Baht) and we haven't even talked about the big cost "Labor."

That's a pretty good sized rotavator and heavy duty too. I try not to skimp on equipment quality either and that sounds about right for me. How well does it work with the 6610? How deep will it till? What gear do you mainly pull it in?

Forever Ford

Jim {etc}

I thought you might be pulling my leg and thought I would see what you said next...lol... In the states a New 12 inch clutch kit with pressure plate, disc, pilot & release bearing for a Ford 6610 costs around US $264 (7920 Baht) and we haven't even talked about the big cost "Labor."

That's a pretty good sized rotavator and heavy duty too. I try not to skimp on equipment quality either and that sounds about right for me. How well does it work with the 6610? How deep will it till? What gear do you mainly pull it in?

How about availability of replacement parts for the rotovator?

Great to see some seriously big plans for some kick-ass farming equipment. Every now and then I go into Sisaket and if I smile nicely the John Deere agent will let me sit on a real 4WD tractor. They had a 90HP one with a 2 plus metre rotary on it there some time back, way to big for my needs, but man what a beast!

Great to see some seriously big plans for some kick-ass farming equipment. Every now and then I go into Sisaket and if I smile nicely the John Deere agent will let me sit on a real 4WD tractor. They had a 90HP one with a 2 plus metre rotary on it there some time back, way to big for my needs, but man what a beast!

That JD and rotary sound great! I love JD's too and will have to go to Sisaket and take a look. Do you remember the name of the dealership? How is LOS for JD tractor and implement parts availability? Will be looking at some New Holland equipment too I think. The wife (THai) and I have enough farm land to justify the equipment. Will need to find a good equipment trailer too to transport equipment from one place to the other.

That JD and rotary sound great! I love JD's too and will have to go to Sisaket and take a look. Do you remember the name of the dealership? How is LOS for JD tractor and implement parts availability? Will be looking at some New Holland equipment too I think. The wife (THai) and I have enough farm land to justify the equipment. Will need to find a good equipment trailer too to transport equipment from one place to the other.

I sent a reply to your question of parts but it got lost in the cyber of space will do it again when i get some sleep. On my Deere Ford Forever

Jim,

Mate, I cant remember my own name in Thai, so i have no chance with theirs. There seems to be reasonable coverage around here. The dealer has a well stocked store and the workshop is reasonable. Haven't noticed to many JD implements though. Most of the stuff they have had seems to be locally made, but I admit I didnt look that closely. Was it green? the answer is no.

Not much help for the original poster; for myself it goes like this;

We farm a little over 200 rai with a mixture of 65/35 cassava & rice & small mango farm.

Every year at planting time I tell myself we need to buy a tractor; the capital is available.

I could not bring myself to deal with fixing a used one everyday and also I can't use a small one for plowing.

The one we currently use for plowing; a 95HP Kubota, is just adequate.

Than I start adding up the numbers of ownership vs hiring somebody else.

When the zeros start adding up after initial digits of how many years it will take to recoup the investment; all of the sudden the hiring and putting up with inexplicable sicknesses and delays becomes extremely attractive.

No matter how you look at it; except if it will be your personal toy regardless of cost, it does not make any economic sense.

So my fields will not look like a German engineering project; I'll live with it.

Best regards.

Say hey etcetera etcetera. Did a quick look on this machine I'm beating on and in a few minutes I found a new 105 horse Deere with MFWD and 16 forward and reverse speeds stripped down for about 1.3 million in the States. My 6610 was just over a half million with new rebuild engine and well gone over with a whiny 5th gear and some rear hydraulic issues. It's been non-stop (except during floods) for nearly three years and is nothing to do bunches of 100 hour weeks with it, a true work horse. At the time i bought this a new one with fwd was around 1.1 million. The hydraulics (after three years) were just fixed for 2800 baht and they drove the tractor the 30 some kilometers back to the farm after they finished, too cool. I'm sure you don't get those kind of costs with Kubota. I guess in 20 or so years you might when that's all there is here but I would think John Deere has to make some big in roads. Deere would be my only choice for a new tractor. I think you will do well by generally buying new attachments as it seems that generally anything used that isn't a fire sale you will end up findoing that the Thai value their used stufff at almost higher than the retail price they paid for it. I've found all Thai built equipment is very well made strong and inexpensive. CMT who I mentioned before is at http://www.cmt-chonb...ct/product5.asp . Their is another manufacturer I believe is somewhere near Kanchanaburi that makes some really fine stuff and I will get you their phone in a couple of three weeks when i get back to the farm and can read it off a "18" adjustable disc we got from them. The rotovator should be relatively simple to get parts for it as it is a Howard and is manufactured locally in Malaysia. I'm sure a bunch of the stuff can be also gotten from Australia. I'm looking for a large "cone" type pto 3pt rotary fertilizer spreader (like for turfgrass and farming) that I can modify to broadcast manure and bio-char. I am thinking I may end up having to make it myself but as the Chambers brothers said "Time". I woould reccomend that you take a few photos of some Deere 3pt box scrapers and when you get your tractor buy a sheet of steel and a mobar or two and a few bolts and have someone weld you up a box scraper that is wider than your desired wheel width. The easiest way to do it is start with a 3 pt casava hiller and dump the two blades. I'm sure you can find a maanufacturer that will just sell you the frame without the disc blade attachments. If you want I can manage to send you some photos of the ripper mounts that i have on the dozer blade. You can rip in reverse and then drop the bucket and pull it all out in forward and put it where and how you needit; an amazingly fast way to move earth I will probably change mine to a new design that will have the rippers (from Cat Motor Graders) still removable as they are now (60-90 seconds to put them and the pins on or take them off) but they will be spring loaded so you can still doz going forward if you want. You can also weld on a little extension that you can put on either side of your dozer blade where it is pinned to its mount to be able to use it as an angle dozer in ei9ther direction. It is a bit more involved in changing back and forth but man does it sure open up a bunch more options when moving earth (the levees at my place have gone from 40-50 centimeters to now getting near a couple meters and climbing, it's one of the necessities of trying to stay organic). I have now made an extension that is twice as long so I can get even more angle and will then be able to work much much faster moving material when I need to. I'm sure there's a bit of food for thought here and good luck finding what you need when you get here. Figuring and Fingering with Fords Forever

Edited by Foreverford

Say hey etcetera etcetera. Did a quick look on this machine I'm beating on and in a few minutes I found a new 105 horse Deere with MFWD and 16 forward and reverse speeds stripped down for about 1.3 million in the States. My 6610 was just over a half million with new rebuild engine and well gone over with a whiny 5th gear and some rear hydraulic issues. It's been non-stop (except during floods) for nearly three years and is nothing to do bunches of 100 hour weeks with it, a true work horse. At the time i bought this a new one with fwd was around 1.1 million. The hydraulics (after three years) were just fixed for 2800 baht and they drove the tractor the 30 some kilometers back to the farm after they finished, too cool. I'm sure you don't get those kind of costs with Kubota. I guess in 20 or so years you might when that's all there is here but I would think John Deere has to make some big in roads. Deere would be my only choice for a new tractor. I think you will do well by generally buying new attachments as it seems that generally anything used that isn't a fire sale you will end up findoing that the Thai value their used stufff at almost higher than the retail price they paid for it. I've found all Thai built equipment is very well made strong and inexpensive. CMT who I mentioned before is at http://www.cmt-chonb...ct/product5.asp . Their is another manufacturer I believe is somewhere near Kanchanaburi that makes some really fine stuff and I will get you their phone in a couple of three weeks when i get back to the farm and can read it off a "18" adjustable disc we got from them. The rotovator should be relatively simple to get parts for it as it is a Howard and is manufactured locally in Malaysia. I'm sure a bunch of the stuff can be also gotten from Australia. I'm looking for a large "cone" type pto 3pt rotary fertilizer spreader (like for turfgrass and farming) that I can modify to broadcast manure and bio-char. I am thinking I may end up having to make it myself but as the Chambers brothers said "Time". I woould reccomend that you take a few photos of some Deere 3pt box scrapers and when you get your tractor buy a sheet of steel and a mobar or two and a few bolts and have someone weld you up a box scraper that is wider than your desired wheel width. The easiest way to do it is start with a 3 pt casava hiller and dump the two blades. I'm sure you can find a maanufacturer that will just sell you the frame without the disc blade attachments. If you want I can manage to send you some photos of the ripper mounts that i have on the dozer blade. You can rip in reverse and then drop the bucket and pull it all out in forward and put it where and how you needit; an amazingly fast way to move earth I will probably change mine to a new design that will have the rippers (from Cat Motor Graders) still removable as they are now (60-90 seconds to put them and the pins on or take them off) but they will be spring loaded so you can still doz going forward if you want. You can also weld on a little extension that you can put on either side of your dozer blade where it is pinned to its mount to be able to use it as an angle dozer in ei9ther direction. It is a bit more involved in changing back and forth but man does it sure open up a bunch more options when moving earth (the levees at my place have gone from 40-50 centimeters to now getting near a couple meters and climbing, it's one of the necessities of trying to stay organic). I have now made an extension that is twice as long so I can get even more angle and will then be able to work much much faster moving material when I need to. I'm sure there's a bit of food for thought here and good luck finding what you need when you get here. Figuring and Fingering with Fords Forever

Thank you Foreverford for all the great info. I will read it again later when I have more time.

Thanks again...

Jim {etc}