What Thai Debit Card Will Work With Online Purchases?

Tokay

I've tried debit cards from Siam Commercial, UOB and K Bank. None of them can make a transaction online. :annoyed:

Would like to have something locally where I can buy airplane tickets, pay for iTunes, book hotels online... whatever.

Ideas?

Don't know about the others but kasikorn has separate online shopping card (or I think u just get the necessary numbers sent on email or something..).

http://www.kasikornb...ngbyKDebit.aspx

Uh, the former is what u were asking about, this is what I was talking about:

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

Edited by remiss

With K-Bank, apply for a Cyber Banking Card i think it's called & the Card that you want is the K-Cyber Shopping Card i believe..

It's pretty straight forward, you apply, get your Pins etc same day & you can be buying Online same day too if you wish..;)

• Like 1

With K-Bank, apply for a Cyber Banking Card i think it's called & the Card that you want is the K-Cyber Shopping Card i believe..

It's pretty straight forward, you apply, get your Pins etc same day & you can be buying Online same day too if you wish..;)

The problem is that many Airlines do not accept Virtual Debit Cards.

They need to see a physical card when checking in.

Thai Air

Payment by other payment cards, e.g. Virtual credit card, e-Credit card, or any other corporate cards, are not accepted.

The problem is that many Airlines do not accept Virtual Debit Cards.

They need to see a physical card when checking in.

Thai Air

Payment by other payment cards, e.g. Virtual credit card, e-Credit card, or any other corporate cards, are not accepted.

That is the problem. All the cards I've been given from any of these banks are just virtual visa cards. I've never been able to use them online for large purchases (plane tickets, car rentals, etc.).

• 10 months later...

There was a post on this before saying that it is possible, possibly in the Banking forum if not in this one?

can't find a forum section on banking, is it in this forum or other sites? I am looking for a debit card in thailand to make online purchases too.

There was a post on this before saying that it is possible, possibly in the Banking forum if not in this one?

can't find a forum section on banking, is it in this forum or other sites? I am looking for a debit card in thailand to make online purchases too.

It's here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/13-jobs-economy-banking-business-investments/

UTFSE in this section to find the info.

licklips.gif It is far better to use a foriegn ATM/debit card from a foriegn bank for on-line purchases made from places outside of Thailand. Thailand has a bad reputation regarding credit card theft and fraud...so many foriegn firms simply won't accept a Thai "billing address"...you're card is "not accepted".

You can use Thai bank cards here in Thailand to pay for airline tickets. I know, because I used my Bangkok Bank card to pay in baht for a United Airlines ticket last July.

However, I did NOT do this on-line, I purchased my ticket at the United Airlines office here in Bangkok, and they did a sweep of my card themselves...and it was verified.

Therefore I can't say that my Bangkok Bank card would have been accepted on-line if i tried to use it on-line myself.

For on-line purchases...most of which are outside of Thaland anyhow...I always use my U.S. bank ATM/debit card.

In case you're wondering why I would have used my Bangkok Bank card and going to the United Airlines office...well that was last July...and United had a special low fare available only here in Thailand payable in Baht and NOT available on-line.

So, doing it the way i did, saved me approximately 2000 baht on the fare.

Even paying for taxi fare in both directions I stll came out 1700 baht ahead.

licklips.gif

licklips.gif It is far better to use a foriegn ATM/debit card from a foriegn bank for on-line purchases made from places outside of Thailand. Thailand has a bad reputation regarding credit card theft and fraud...so many foriegn firms simply won't accept a Thai "billing address"...you're card is "not accepted".

My foreign card has a Thai billing address.

Make sure your debit card billing address is correctly shown in the branch. I've used the thai debit card successfully with several foreign companies and thai companies. It is usually the thai companies that use verified by visa (an additional pin).

I've had problems with foreign debit card using certain payment gateways. The billing address not matching the geo-ip address of the order can result in order getting flagged for high risk. Even if the order was pre-authorized, the merchant can still reject order. The hold is still there though. Only some payment processors do this.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

I use my Bangkok Be1st online, never meet a problem anywhere. What I think you have to do is tell them you want to use online. And they will walk to an ATM and active that for you.

Used, Expida, agooda, have paypal connected to it with no problems.

I have a foreign CC, but have not used it for a while and don’t feel the need.

• 2 months later...

About KASIKORN BANK (green bank) online payment: in the past I had to enable the card at ATM to pay online but then suddenly it didn't work, so I had to visit my account on their website and get a new card number (maybe it is a virtual credit card ?).

Did it happen to you also ? In the past you were using your debit card number (written on the card) and suddenly it didn't work ?

About SCB SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK: is it the same process as Kasikorn ? Do you need to apply for online banking to be able to pay online with your credit card ? Or can you pay online without using online banking, and how to do ?

Thanks.

I use my SCB ATM card for purchases on Air Asia

I was interested to read this comment.

Last year, while in Thailand, I couldn't use my SCB debit/ATM card to book a Thai hotel online. (I ended up having to use a UK debit/credit card.)

I asked SCB about this and they said their debit cards can't be used online - I would need to get a credit card.

I use my SCB ATM card for purchases on Air Asia

I was interested to read this comment.

Last year, while in Thailand, I couldn't use my SCB debit/ATM card to book a Thai hotel online. (I ended up having to use a UK debit/credit card.)

I asked SCB about this and they said their debit cards can't be used online - I would need to get a credit card.

They have a deal with SCB and you can book with no convenience fee.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/539924-how-to-purchase-goods-on-internet-what-card-is-required/page__view__findpost__p__5171723

Hi,

In my experience the cards that work online are a normal Bangkok Bank card and Kasikorn's K Shopping card.

I have a SCB card but that doesnt seem to work but that maybe because it is a normal mastercard.

Edited by rinteln

Yesterday I was able to use my Bangkok Bank B-First debit card to buy Apple's OS X Lion from the Apple App store. I have also used it to purchase plane tickets from Air Asia. Sometimes you will be prompted to enter some temporary code or something. Just follow the instructions. This was not the case with Apple. Just went through straight away. Easy!

ATM and Debit Cards for online purchases are different here in Thailand then in say USA. A USA Debit card can be used like a credit card or debit card because it has the Visa or MasterCard logo on it and the vendor may ask if you want Debit or Credit?

What I have found in Thailand is when you open a local bank account and they give you an ATM card, it will usually only be good at ATM's and NOT imprinted with your name. On the card it will say "Electronic Use Only" on it someplace. This means that the card has to be physically swiped at an ATM or CC reader in a store, is what the lady at Siam Commercial Bank told me. If you want your name imprinted on the card you have to leave the first card they give you at the bank and wait for the imprinted one to be made up and sent to the bank. If you get an ATM card with your name imprinted on it still cannot be used for online transactions. But I do feel a bit safer with my name imprinted on the card

To use your ATM card online I found that Bangkok Bank Be 1st Card to work, even though it also says "Electronic Use Only" So who really knows?. You will have to get your name imprinted on the Be 1st Card. A quick side note on getting your name imprinted on the Be 1st card, they only allow 18 spaces in total for your complete name. The 18 spaces include the blank spaces between your first and last name. So when they first filled in the form to get my name imprinted on the Be 1st Card they copied down my legal first middle and last name with a space between each. In total, with blank spaces it is 20 spaces. So when I picked up my card it had my complete first, middle and only half of my last name. When I asked them to correct it they told me that the last name was not important in Thailand and only the first and middle name was used. After a lot of run around I found a bank agent that filled in the order form for the new card and she only used my middle initial.

Also when you pick up your new Be 1st card with hopefully your correct name imprinted on it they will ask you to enter a security code that verifies you as the user when you use the card online. I believe it is an 8 digit number. I have used the card with no problem when ordering things online from the US and UK. I have bought airline tickets with it on United and NOK air with no problem. But when I tried to use it with Thai Airlines it would not take it. I called Thai airlines and they said that they could not process the transaction with the card as it was a debit card. But they were able to make the transaction with my US Debit card. Or I could pay at 7/11. I believe what happens with Thai Airways is that their web site does not jive with the security window that appears from Visa that ask for the 8 digit security code, but not sure?

ATM and Debit Cards for online purchases are different here in Thailand then in say USA. A USA Debit card can be used like a credit card or debit card because it has the Visa or MasterCard logo on it and the vendor may ask if you want Debit or Credit?

What I have found in Thailand is when you open a local bank account and they give you an ATM card, it will usually only be good at ATM's and NOT imprinted with your name. On the card it will say "Electronic Use Only" on it someplace. This means that the card has to be physically swiped at an ATM or CC reader in a store, is what the lady at Siam Commercial Bank told me. If you want your name imprinted on the card you have to leave the first card they give you at the bank and wait for the imprinted one to be made up and sent to the bank. If you get an ATM card with your name imprinted on it still cannot be used for online transactions. But I do feel a bit safer with my name imprinted on the card

To use your ATM card online I found that Bangkok Bank Be 1st Card to work, even though it also says "Electronic Use Only" So who really knows?. You will have to get your name imprinted on the Be 1st Card. A quick side note on getting your name imprinted on the Be 1st card, they only allow 18 spaces in total for your complete name. The 18 spaces include the blank spaces between your first and last name. So when they first filled in the form to get my name imprinted on the Be 1st Card they copied down my legal first middle and last name with a space between each. In total, with blank spaces it is 20 spaces. So when I picked up my card it had my complete first, middle and only half of my last name. When I asked them to correct it they told me that the last name was not important in Thailand and only the first and middle name was used. After a lot of run around I found a bank agent that filled in the order form for the new card and she only used my middle initial.

Also when you pick up your new Be 1st card with hopefully your correct name imprinted on it they will ask you to enter a security code that verifies you as the user when you use the card online. I believe it is an 8 digit number. I have used the card with no problem when ordering things online from the US and UK. I have bought airline tickets with it on United and NOK air with no problem. But when I tried to use it with Thai Airlines it would not take it. I called Thai airlines and they said that they could not process the transaction with the card as it was a debit card. But they were able to make the transaction with my US Debit card. Or I could pay at 7/11. I believe what happens with Thai Airways is that their web site does not jive with the security window that appears from Visa that ask for the 8 digit security code, but not sure?

The lady at the Siam Commercial Bank obviously doesn't know what she's talking about, which was proven when you were able to use your Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa Debit Card.

When a card says it is for electronic use only, it simply means you can not use it in an imprinting machine - remember those old swipey things? And this is why they do not have embossed writing or numbers. Think about every transaction that you need to make, and tell me which of those aren't electronic?

People also need to make sure that their debit card is not just a debit card (a bog-standard ATM card), but is either a Visa Debit card or a Mastercard Debit card - it is the generic use of the term debit card that confuses a lot of people. A Visa Debit card and a Mastercard Debit card (cards that use your money, as opposed to credits cards) can be used online, an ATM card can not - both, however, can be used in ATM's and with EFTPOS.

Another issue, is that there are a lot of payment gateways out there that do not accept expiry dates as far into the future as the Thai banks tend to give us. That being said, my Be1st Visa Debit card has not been declined on any overseas online purchases that I have made - and I make a lot.

My foreign card has a Thai billing address.

Also no problem for me.

I have a UK NatWest debit and credit card and both have my Thai home address as billing address.

I receive also my statements at my Thai address.