What Do You Feel Are The Differences Between Farangs And Thais?

Deeral

I am Thai and join today and feel bad as i dont know so many farang hate Thailand and speak about us so bad I am shocked

when i see farang they seem nice and dont feel liek this

I think most foreigners don't hate Thailand and those who do just hate being ripped off. However there are plenty of things wrong in your country and foreigners often dont sugar coat their opinions as most Thais do. We come from a place where it is ok to criticize things.

Lack of criticism and complaint is at the root of many problems in Thailand I feel. Many of the annoying problems for me in Thailand could all be rectified so easily and with little expense. That is what is so distracting. However as Thais are adverse to complaining and raising their voices as well as taking advise nothing ever improves. They continue to carry out tasks badly year in year out, even when it is obvious to most westerners that there are much better ways of doing things. Thais don't go out of their way to drive me mad, even though it sometimes feels that way, it's just that they don't know any better. In the west if a guy is doing a job badly or giving bad service they soon end up out of work. Here because no one will complain that guy can continue doing the exact same bad job for years to come.

We don't normally see eye to eye on many things, but your answer DOES sum up a lot of problems between farangs and Thais.

In North America we are taught to think for ourselves and be creative... even if it means going against the flow. That is why California never fit into the eastern US way of thinking. In Thailand the children are taught to be subservient to their so called "superiors". Children and students never question their teachers... even when the teachers are wrong. It is a whole different culture system. In some ways it makes the Thais very pleasant to be around, but other times it creates frustration and anger on the part of the farangs. Thais don't respond well to anger or criticism and will walk away from a good paying job if they perceive themselves losing face. I've seen it happen between Thais themselves when 2 people of equal standing can't compromise on a simple project where one takes a more dominant position than the other.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is well positioned geographically for this century, being in between China and India (and having large native Chinese and Indian ethnic communities here), in a new era of Eastern dominance. They would have to work really hard to not rise just based on coattails. Anyone taking bets?

Wouldn't touch it. In 30-50 yrs. rice will be worth more than gold or oil.

Someday Thais may very well travel to the USA for cheap sex partners.

The future is crazy.

once obama is gone usa will rise to the top again.

i dont think anyone will overtake thais as far as a fun place for sexx soon :lol::lol::lol: . thias have this locked up for centuries to come.....other countries just too politically correct!

If it was a generalization.........

Thais are pretty cool, Farangs are total azzholes full of self importance and totally unfounded superiority complexes.

We do have to remember that many of the Westerners who have drifted here are not exactly the cream of the crop. :D

^ Good Lord, isn't that the truth. There is huge number of bottom feeders here that were bottom feeders in their home country and what blows is they are the Image set forth to Thai's. I cant tell you home many times I have been asked by my GF and friends is that how all foreigners look and behave in the US.........All I can do is laugh with the Thais at the Foreigners.

I will say it does get embarrassing at times.

Agree with all of the above. It seems that these "bottom feeders" think that they can come to a developing country and be the big fish in a small pond. But when they can't even achieve that, they rant and they rave and they complain about everything Thai. And they complain. And they complain. Maybe they just need to go find a smaller pond.

What an admission to say you agree with "Mrs Mills' post! :whistling::D

Edited by carmine

I am Thai and join today and feel bad as i dont know so many farang hate Thailand and speak about us so bad I am shocked

Hello krup. I'm sorry that you have to read and see how farangs behave amongst themselves. As you suggested, many are what we like to refer to as "two-faced," i.e., they are nice to you to your face, but behind your back (or on anonymous message boards) they say rather horrible things. Many are certifiable idiots that hate Thais and Thailand, as you may have already noticed. I'm sure you and your countrymen would then wonder why the heck they are still here (I ask that same question often). I would like to say these kinds of farangs are in the minority (although, not so sure about TV members) and that their unseemly behavior shouldn't reflect on all farangs. Unfortunately, I think it does.

I think most foreigners don't hate Thailand and those who do just hate being ripped off. However there are plenty of things wrong in your country and foreigners often dont sugar coat their opinions as most Thais do. We come from a place where it is ok to criticize things.

Lack of criticism and complaint is at the root of many problems in Thailand I feel. Many of the annoying problems for me in Thailand could all be rectified so easily and with little expense. That is what is so distracting. However as Thais are adverse to complaining and raising their voices as well as taking advise nothing ever improves. They continue to carry out tasks badly year in year out, even when it is obvious to most westerners that there are much better ways of doing things. Thais don't go out of their way to drive me mad, even though it sometimes feels that way, it's just that they don't know any better. In the west if a guy is doing a job badly or giving bad service they soon end up out of work. Here because no one will complain that guy can continue doing the exact same bad job for years to come.

We don't normally see eye to eye on many things, but your answer DOES sum up a lot of problems between farangs and Thais.

In North America we are taught to think for ourselves and be creative... even if it means going against the flow. That is why California never fit into the eastern US way of thinking. In Thailand the children are taught to be subservient to their so called "superiors". Children and students never question their teachers... even when the teachers are wrong. It is a whole different culture system. In some ways it makes the Thais very pleasant to be around, but other times it creates frustration and anger on the part of the farangs. Thais don't respond well to anger or criticism and will walk away from a good paying job if they perceive themselves losing face. I've seen it happen between Thais themselves when 2 people of equal standing can't compromise on a simple project where one takes a more dominant position than the other.

You guys really, really miss the point. Criticizing things that are not right is one thing--and perfectly acceptable. What most farangs do on TV is insult Thais. And not just the ones who may have perpetrated the wrongdoing, but all Thais. And you do it all the freakin time.

You guys really, really miss the point. Criticizing things that are not right is one thing--and perfectly acceptable. What most farangs do on TV is insult Thais. And not just the ones who may have perpetrated the wrongdoing, but all Thais. And you do it all the freakin time.

Show me where I'm being critical. I'm just stating the obvious. Thais and Farangs ARE different, and not just because of their skin. But, you could make similar comparisons between many nations if you are using generalities as a basis for comparisons.. Germans are different than Brits and Brits are different than Aussies and Aussies are different than Canadians and Canadians are different than Americans. That doesn't mean any group are any better or any worse than the other. However, I CAN state categorically that Canadian standards of education are far better than Thai standards. But, that doesn't mean Canadians are better people or smarter, just better educated.There are street smarts and education smarts and they aren't always the same.

I DO agree, however, that there are lots of insults thrown around.

I have been around Thai people quite a lot in an education setting...and I do not think it is fair to compare them so loosely.

Some blue collar Thai people are not as intelligent as westerners and vice versa.

Most likely, Westerners may consider Thais inferior because of the language and cultural differences and how it is hard to communicate if you do not speak Thai here.

IQ tests can have a cultural bias. It's dangerous to generalize about any people this way. There are differences between nations, but it seems clear to me that most of those are caused by cultural and environmental differences. There's certainly no evidence that Thai people have any genetic defect that makes them uneducable. Take a Thai baby born into a peasant family in Thailand and have him raised by an elite family in Iceland, and you'll have an odd looking Icelander.

Edited by Jingthing

Wan't there a recent study that showed that the average IQ of Thais was 91 where as in the West it's a 100?

Think it was in one of the national papers.

If true, it doesn't prove any genetic differences. Such a difference could be attributed to culture and (poor) education. In countries poorer than Thailand where starvation and malnutrition are more common, children can be permanently damaged by that stifling their life potential, but again, not a genetic difference, but a result of a harsh environment.

Edited by Jingthing

Wan't there a recent study that showed that the average IQ of Thais was 91 where as in the West it's a 100?

Think it was in one of the national papers.

If true, it doesn't prove any genetic differences. Such a difference could be attributed to culture and (poor) education. In countries poorer than Thailand where starvation and malnutrition are more common, children can be permanently damaged by that stifling their life potential, but again, not a genetic difference, but a result of a harsh environment.

Think it was something to do with a lack of iodine in their diet.

Well, I wouldn't rule out nutrition issues as being the cause of a lot of mental handicaps in Thailand. However, I still think so much of this is culture, as alluded to in earlier posts. I think it is natural culturally for westerners to regard the Thai cultural tendency to just accept the words of authority as gospel to be a sign of lower intelligence, when it is actually just an aspect of Thai culture that is hard for most westerners to accept. For example at the doctors, Thai doctors not used to westerners seemed offended when you ask questions of them or challenge their orders with your own arguments. In the west that would be a sign of an intelligent patient (and also one with a better chance of a good outcome). In Thailand, that's often seen as very, very rude.

Edited by Jingthing

In the west that would be a sign of an intelligent patient (and also one with a better chance of a good outcome). In Thailand, that's often seen as very, very rude.

Ehhh...trust me on this one - the number of patients trying to tutor the doctor has increased since the birth of Internet, yes, but dont for one second think they are not being looked at as complete and utter tossers 9 times out of 10.

Well, I wouldn't rule out nutrition issues as being the cause of a lot of mental handicaps in Thailand. However, I still think so much of this is culture, as alluded to in earlier posts. I think it is natural culturally for westerners to regard the Thai cultural tendency to just accept the words of authority as gospel to be a sign of lower intelligence, when it is actually just an aspect of Thai culture that is hard for most westerners to accept.

Intelligence is not static, it's dynamic and can be increased. The reason the average intelligence is low in Thailand is due to the poor educational system and also the social/cultural problem with restricting individuals to question and investigate alternative solutions to problems. In Thailand you're being told, period.

Anyone who's read Richard Dawkins best-selling work knows that by definition we're all winning (well, the book is not scientific but at least a good read), thus capable of being clever as well.

Edited by Forethat

Like many others topics after a while it has lost direction. I suppose we have our preferences some would say I like some would say I’m better than another. You will these kinds of opinion everywhere in the world. Most Frang I knew living in Thailand have two main issue one it cheap to live here, two the women is good. They know that they not going fine a young woman go after them when they past 50s. Yes Thai need to improve many things some of their attitudes are too relax that they cannot be bothered with anything. As for farang I seen many are ordinary not the rich kind that many Thai would think.

As for my comment I think you just need to forget about all these nonsense. The guy who start this topic is a Thai who trying his best to voice his opinion in some way but he need to improves his writing.

Like many others topics after a while it has lost direction. I suppose we have our preferences some would say I like some would say I'm better than another. You will these kinds of opinion everywhere in the world. Most Frang I knew living in Thailand have two main issue one it cheap to live here, two the women is good. They know that they not going fine a young woman go after them when they past 50s. Yes Thai need to improve many things some of their attitudes are too relax that they cannot be bothered with anything. As for farang I seen many are ordinary not the rich kind that many Thai would think.

As for my comment I think you just need to forget about all these nonsense. The guy who start this topic is a Thai who trying his best to voice his opinion in some way but he need to improves his writing.

And I take it that English is a second language for you as well.

I often hear Thais apologize for not speaking correct English and I just smile and congratulate them for doing as well as they do. I just point out how many Farangs can't speak any Thai. IQ tests are just a start in assessing intelligence. Most of us never reach our full potential when it comes to intelligence and we only use a small portion of our brain. That boils it all down to "street smarts"... which is being able to adapt to our environment. I’ve met all sorts of book smart people who don't have a clue how to get along in the world, and even less in an unfriendly environment

IQ tests are just a start in assessing intelligence.

No it isn't, it IS the method of assessing intelligence. Note that IQ by no means assess social abilities and/or intelligence (SQ).

Most of us never reach our full potential when it comes to intelligence and we only use a small portion of our brain. That boils it all down to "street smarts"... which is being able to adapt to our environment. I've met all sorts of book smart people who don't have a clue how to get along in the world, and even less in an unfriendly environment

I often read and meet people with a firm belief that individuals are born with an equal measure of intelligence. They are not.

In addition, being street- or book smart has nothing to do with being intelligent, neither does economic success or social status.

Improving on your intelligence is possible within the scope of your mental abilities - though you cant improve indefinitely - which in itself is a measurement of your intelligence. From an evolutionary perspective, global average IQ is steadily increasing (the Flynn Effect).

We are not equal. Some are smarter than others. Period.

I've no shame in admitting that I'm not very smart about a lot of things. Simply one of my flaws.

I have learned through the years to avoid situations were it would be costly.

I don't think were born equally, by no means.

But I do question stats from three sources. Wikipedia, NGO's, and Thaivisa.

Last night my BIL fixed an irrigation pipe at my home with a cigarette lighter, while we were drinking. I don't know about intelligent, but it sure was cool.

I've no shame in admitting that I'm not very smart about a lot of things. Simply one of my flaws.

I have learned through the years to avoid situations were it would be costly.

I don't think were born equally, by no means.

But I do question stats from three sources. Wikipedia, NGO's, and Thaivisa.

Last night my BIL fixed an irrigation pipe at my home with a cigarette lighter, while we were drinking. I don't know about intelligent, but it sure was cool.

Have you been out this morning. You better go and check. You'll probably find it has dropped off and is laying on the floor. :D:lol:

IQ tests are just a start in assessing intelligence.

No it isn't, it IS the method of assessing intelligence. Note that IQ by no means assess social abilities and/or intelligence (SQ).

Most of us never reach our full potential when it comes to intelligence and we only use a small portion of our brain. That boils it all down to "street smarts"... which is being able to adapt to our environment. I've met all sorts of book smart people who don't have a clue how to get along in the world, and even less in an unfriendly environment

I often read and meet people with a firm belief that individuals are born with an equal measure of intelligence. They are not.

In addition, being street- or book smart has nothing to do with being intelligent, neither does economic success or social status.

Improving on your intelligence is possible within the scope of your mental abilities - though you cant improve indefinitely - which in itself is a measurement of your intelligence. From an evolutionary perspective, global average IQ is steadily increasing (the Flynn Effect).

We are not equal. Some are smarter than others. Period.

I never said that people are born with equal intelligence. That is obviously not true. Otherwise, Einstein and people like Leonardo Da Vinci wouldn't have stood out from everyone else..

I said most people never reach their potential. Many people can rise above their limitations. That has been proven over and over. My own daughter has more intelligence than I do and has a far greater memory, starting from birth, but I have far more street smarts and better artistic abilities. In this crazy world I'd rather have street smarts than be a genius who can't survive in such a tumultuous place.

I said most people never reach their potential. Many people can rise above their limitations.

No you can't. That's my point. Your limitation is fixed to a certain extent.

Okay, if you want to be pedantic. I was referring to a more semantic term. A person with no hands or arms has limits with what they can do, but many have learned to write with their feet.

I am partially dyslexic and partially colour blind, but I can get around those problems in other ways. Someone with memory problems might make notes for themselves. Many people with physical problems get around their disabilities in other ways. That is what I was referring to.

And, I DO know that many (most?) people never reach their potential because they don't work hard enough at it, or they just aren't interested enough to train themselves. Of course, that could ALSO mean that those are their personal limitations.

Regarding intelligence and IQ, an interesting piece to read :

An attempt is being made to devise a universal intelligence test http://www.economist.com/node/18276224

Beside that, I believe the worst limitation people have to overcome is self limitation. People who are successful are people who believed in themselves. It also helps if you have other people around you (parents, spouse, friends .... ) who have high expectation for you.

The reason most people fail ? They never tried ! And it is true for Thai and for foreigners equally.

Edited by JurgenG

I often hear Thais apologize for not speaking correct English and I just smile and congratulate them for doing as well as they do. I just point out how many Farangs can't speak any Thai. IQ tests are just a start in assessing intelligence. Most of us never reach our full potential when it comes to intelligence and we only use a small portion of our brain. That boils it all down to "street smarts"... which is being able to adapt to our environment. I've met all sorts of book smart people who don't have a clue how to get along in the world, and even less in an unfriendly environment

Kudos! This paragraph should be framed, as it surely won't be comprehended in the way it was presented.

It's a little like comparing a 1980's Skoda to a current BMW. There will be some folk that for personal reasons prefer the Skoda, which is fair enough, but to argue it is better then the BMW is surely delusional.

No, it's the ignorant bigots like you who are deluded.