Coffee From The Us

NanLaew

I have some coffee that I want to have sent over to my Pattaya PO Box. It's a total of 9 packs, weighing around 11 lbs. I haven't use USPS (US Postal Service) before and they are the cheapest; DHL prices are too high for the value of this stuff. Anyone with experiences on delivery times from the US to Pattaya using USPS? Also, how will this be treated by Customs? Any ideas or experience with duty being charged?

Thanks,

NL

Sending 11 pounds via USPS international ain't gonna be cheap either. I have stuff forwarded to me via USPS (letters usually, but did just receive an order of Starbucks VIA coffee today) and never had a problem. For something like your coffee, however, don't know what the excise tax would be. Probably would attract attention, however, due to it's size.

Try buying your coffee at Starbucks. All varieties beans or ground. Works for me. A lot cheaper also.

All the high-end food stores sell Lavazza and Illy coffees as well. Expensive, but unless you have friends who visit regularly from "home," probably the same as having "good" coffee shipped from home.

My dad sends me a box of goodies every month, usually coffee is in them. Use USPS priority as it can be tracked by the thai post office once it hits the thai border. The flat rate priority boxes are the cheapest method for something that heavy. The large box might hold 11 boxes of coffee. The price of shipping is $48 no matter how much it weighs. I've been here two years and gotten a box every month. The only thing I ever had to pay duty on was a christmas box because it had a camcorder for my husband. I've never had to pay duty on anything else. Shipping times takes about a week to 10 days. I've not had a single box lost using the USPS priority international service.

My dad sends me a box of goodies every month, usually coffee is in them. Use USPS priority as it can be tracked by the thai post office once it hits the thai border. The flat rate priority boxes are the cheapest method for something that heavy. The large box might hold 11 boxes of coffee. The price of shipping is $48 no matter how much it weighs. I've been here two years and gotten a box every month. The only thing I ever had to pay duty on was a christmas box because it had a camcorder for my husband. I've never had to pay duty on anything else. Shipping times takes about a week to 10 days. I've not had a single box lost using the USPS priority international service.

At last! Someone posting from EXPERIENCE which is what I was hoping for. Thanks!

I had already spotted that box size and cost on their website and was just seeking confirmation rather than speculation. I normally use DHL or FedEx for mail and stuff but they were asking too much for a bulky product.

The coffee is actually Jacobs, a German product and it's for a buddy I will be meeting up with in Singapore next month. His local supplier has stopped importing and I found a bargain on amazon.com

I usually have people bring in the goodies but their next visit will be after Songkran (smart people).

Edited by NanLaew

I have had the same experience with USPS priority international service. I'd say very reliable after 9 years of shipping stuff from USA, knock on wood, I've never had a package lost yet. That's about 6 a year I send too!

When the Ipad came out, I made the mistake of shipping it over by DHL or FedEx, forget who it was. Customs caught it, held it for 4 weeks, then asked for 10,000 baht tax or something like that. By that time, the Ipad was in every store. I'll never do that again.

juist be reminded that even though most parcels by post mail slip through the system, technically you need to pay taxes and have an import license for food stuff. Don't wanna hear anyone cry his heart out about some injustice experienced at the customs house...cool.gif

^ Good point, but I am pretty sure that the obvious 'care package' from home will not attract that sort of attention. It's when someone decides to screw the pooch and ship loads of stuff via post at regular intervals then the sh!t hits the excise fan.

Edited by NanLaew

^ As I said earlier, it is not for me. It's a blend that a friend of mine likes and I am doing him a favour.

For my coffee, I have an account with Peets in CA (thanks jingthing!) and get a selection of beans brought over quarterly and grind per cup. It's the best!