Adsl Modem Recommendations For True 16Mb

Hi guys,

I'll be moving into a townhouse on Srinakarindra Rd in a couple of weeks, just a few hundred metres down the road from Paradise Park. I've already contacted True regarding the internet connection.

I was hoping to get their VDSL package but it's unavailable down there, so I'll have to make do with 16mb ADSL.

I already have a good router (Asus RT-N16 running Tomato fw) and I don't want to use whatever crappy modem/router they give free with the package, therefore I'll need to buy an ADSL modem that's compatible with True.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality True compatible ADSL modem that's easy to get hold of in Pantip or Fortune.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I don't want a router with built in modem. I already have a nice router. I just need a DSL modem that's compatible with True.

That was my initial desire too. 6-8 modems later.. There are many ADSL modems at every computer mall.. cheap too. The problem is finding one that works long term. I've got a stack of them here, most less than a few months old.

A router/modem is only a bit more.. and if you shop carefully and get one with the right specs it will mostly likely have newer improved chipsets and faster Wireless-N than even the best modem purchased a year ago. Or, you can use any of the router modems as just a modem in bridge mode..

I think, for the most part, demand for quality modems is low. Most are manufactured to be given away or sold cheaper by ISP's with new service. Modem/Routers are a different market, these are usually purchased by customers as upgrades to ISP packages or on their own.. and they expect more from there.

Hi Guys,

I don't want a router with built in modem. I already have a nice router. I just need a DSL modem that's compatible with True.

That was my initial desire too. 6-8 modems later.. There are many ADSL modems at every computer mall.. cheap too. The problem is finding one that works long term. I've got a stack of them here, most less than a few months old.

A router/modem is only a bit more.. and if you shop carefully and get one with the right specs it will mostly likely have newer improved chipsets and faster Wireless-N than even the best modem purchased a year ago. Or, you can use any of the router modems as just a modem in bridge mode..

I think, for the most part, demand for quality modems is low. Most are manufactured to be given away or sold cheaper by ISP's with new service. Modem/Routers are a different market, these are usually purchased by customers as upgrades to ISP packages or on their own.. and they expect more from there.

Believe me, I got long year experiences with modems and they are not the weakest part in the chain. It is the router, to handle many parallel connections. The Linksys 54 GL with tomato O/S is rock solid. I would stay away though from DLink, Netgear, Belkin etc. They might be easier to configure for the mass market, but crack down under pressure.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Believe me, I got long year experiences with modems and they are not the weakest part in the chain. It is the router, to handle many parallel connections. The Linksys 54 GL with tomato O/S is rock solid. I would stay away though from DLink, Netgear, Belkin etc. They might be easier to configure for the mass market, but crack down under pressure.

Cheers

I think here they are. Most have issues. I have 2 good routers, a WRT-55GL, WRT-350n, and a couple lesser routers.. and they all worked great with a cable modem.. No issues and 100% reliability for what I do (torrents, FTP, port forwarding, VPN, gigabytpes of image transfers, web surfing, Slingbox, email clients, all at once and almost all 24/7).. Once installed with the ADSL routers (all the ones I could find locally) some would work great for a few weeks and then develop issues, others didn't work great every, but bottom line is the same routers were having major issues with the modems.

Once I found the new router/modem with the new chipset.. I first tried only the modem and my original routers.. and they worked great for few months. Since, I used he units own router and wireless-n and it outperforms the Linksys wireless significantly. I can even stream 1080p blue-ray via wifi usingthe TP-link modem/router and $15 USB dongle in my WD TV Live..

There is no doubt in my mind the modems sold here are 'a' weak link. They're junk. They get way too hot, they fail, and gave me years of issues. I've never been more relieved to finally find something that's 100% issue free and has been since I've put it on line. Since, I've had at least 100 readers email me and tell me the exact same story and that they're very happy..

I'd also guess you're right about the cheaper modems. I've been doing this a while and have tried most of them, and ended up settling on Linksys or their Cisco products.. At least until now.

Quite happy with my D Link DSL-2640BT wireless adsl router. 1400 Bt from MBK.

Which ISP are you using? What FW are you running? Any connectivity issues?

I know, from experience on 2 installs, that this model has issues with the bulk of TOT lines. D-Link, here in Thailand, have released 2 firmware revisions to solve the problem but neither seems to have addressed the issue.

It is a nice box to set-up and manage, I just wish it worked on TOT lines. Also it is on sale at the on-going COMMART expo for 1,190 THB.

Edited by lomatopo

I've tried a few modems on TOT, none of them worked reliably - the one TOT gave me is the best, undoubtedly because TOT networks assume you have this model modem.

3BB can remote control my modem, which is also quite handy as they can fix problems remotely. I don't think they could do that that easily if I used a 3rd party one. That said 3BB is crap. I have to call them every week to fix things.

I've previously run my modem in bridge mode and used a Linksys WRT54GL tomato router to do PPPoE but that came with its own set of issues.

The TOT modem (crappy Billion/Thompson software) actually allows anyone to establish an (additional) PPPoE link over it, don't even need to set it to bridge mode.

I've tried a few modems on TOT, none of them worked reliably - the one TOT gave me is the best, undoubtedly because TOT networks assume you have this model modem.

3BB can remote control my modem, which is also quite handy as they can fix problems remotely. I don't think they could do that that easily if I used a 3rd party one. That said 3BB is crap. I have to call them every week to fix things.

I've previously run my modem in bridge mode and used a Linksys WRT54GL tomato router to do PPPoE but that came with its own set of issues.

The TOT modem (crappy Billion/Thompson software) actually allows anyone to establish an (additional) PPPoE link over it, don't even need to set it to bridge mode.

I'm using TOT lines with True.. and the TP-Link TD-8960n stays up and working great for weeks at a time and I put mine through pretty heavy use. I've had to reset it, rarely, and they make it easy by allowing a full reboot from the web based control panel. The TD-8960n doesn't look like much, but it just works. Looking back through my email feedback I see quite a few are using TOT networks and are happy with their new TD-8960n.. My only complaint with it, is that it didn't come with the most current firmware update. This is a small thing though and updating the firmware is easy to do. A bonus was discovering just how capable the router side of the unit is. The wireless range increased, speed increased, and setting up any function (port forwarding, VPN, security,etc) was simple. It also has a full suite of diagnostic menus and gives you a lot of useful information you'll only find on Linksys if using custom firmware.

I've got Linksys, Belkin, 3Com all working fine with TOT.

I'm using TOT lines with True..

Note that you are terminating on a TRUE DSLAM so no way to know how well this model would work on a TOT-terminated DSLAM. But I will try one out this week on some TOT and TRUE lines. I am impressed that more than 100 of your readers have provided positive feedback on this model. One would have though a few would respond on TV but I don't recall anyone else commenting positively or negatively on this model. This model does get favorable reviews on some Thai forums.

What issues is that? This is what I do and the only (small) issue I have is I can't see the DSLAM connection speed.

I had a bit of an experience with flaky modems and ended up reviewing two models,one I very much recommend. The story starts here, and hasa happy ending here. My high-end Linksys router currently sits in the closet (through no fault of it's own) and I couldn't be happier.

I can second the performance and reliability of the TP-Link TD-W8960N that is mentioned here. I bought one in KL on these earlier recommendations and although I am not a full-on high data rate user, it hasn't missed a beat yet.

Anyone know of this one is on the floor in Panthip yet?

I've got Linksys, Belkin, 3Com all working fine with TOT.

I'm using TOT lines with True..

Note that you are terminating on a TRUE DSLAM so no way to know how well this model would work on a TOT-terminated DSLAM. But I will try one out this week on some TOT and TRUE lines. I am impressed that more than 100 of your readers have provided positive feedback on this model. One would have though a few would respond on TV but I don't recall anyone else commenting positively or negatively on this model. This model does get favorable reviews on some Thai forums.

I'm sorry, I should have been clear. I don't keep track of feedback in TV because I've only recently become a sponsor. I was talking about my weekly column and my own website.

Hi,

Firmware version 1.01

True is the ISP.

Line is TOT

No connectivity issues at all, I did have a Habashi router for a few years but it just died on me. I am quite happy with this one and it was very easy to set up as I don't use CD's to install because I use a mac and a windows 7 netbook. I am now happily running both notebooks, my kindle and my HTC phone, all wireless with no problems........ so far.......

Quite happy with my D Link DSL-2640BT wireless adsl router. 1400 Bt from MBK.

Which ISP are you using? What FW are you running? Any connectivity issues?

I know, from experience on 2 installs, that this model has issues with the bulk of TOT lines. D-Link, here in Thailand, have released 2 firmware revisions to solve the problem but neither seems to have addressed the issue.

It is a nice box to set-up and manage, I just wish it worked on TOT lines. Also it is on sale at the on-going COMMART expo for 1,190 THB.

I can second the performance and reliability of the TP-Link TD-W8960N that is mentioned here. I bought one in KL on these earlier recommendations and although I am not a full-on high data rate user, it hasn't missed a beat yet.

Anyone know of this one is on the floor in Panthip yet?

TP-Link have a large shop in Panthip. I honestly can't remember which floor.

At the COMMART Show a lot of shops have TP-Link equipment; BananaIT for example, and there is a TP-Link company booth as well. The TD-W8960N (300 Mbps) is 2,3650 baht, the TD8950ND (150 Mbps) is 1,850 and the TD8901G is 1,290.

I'd love to know if all these models have the same DSL chipset/firmware? For most of the applications I support 300 Mbps WiFi is overkill.

Back to the OP. I guess they have a router they really like so are looking for a DSL modem/1 port LAN router, which the OP will run in bridge mode (layer 2), and uplink to the WAN port on their router. Bridging is fairly simple so no real hardware constraints. I agree that the DSL interface is the most challenging, so looking for compatibility with your ISP is important. The actual routing functionality seems easily achieved with all but the worst products. WiFi performance (speeds) is perhaps an important criteria but maybe only when you're getting up to these 150/300 Mbps speeds?

Here are some devices that True seem to accommodate:

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=11

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=6

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=17

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=19

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=30

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_id=9

Some people seem to think you need to match the chipset in the modem with the one in the DSLAM, and that Broadcom makes the best DSL chipsets. While the former used to be true, like 10 years ago, interoperability today is really not an issue. And ISPs have a huge mix of port cards it would be impossible to match, IME. And Broadcom does have a following, still not sure why? I've got a D-Link DSL-2650BT with a Broadcom DSL chipset and it continually drops my TOT connection. :bah:

Hi,

Firmware version 1.01

True is the ISP.

Line is TOT

No connectivity issues at all, I did have a Habashi router for a few years but it just died on me. I am quite happy with this one and it was very easy to set up as I don't use CD's to install because I use a mac and a windows 7 netbook. I am now happily running both notebooks, my kindle and my HTC phone, all wireless with no problems........ so far.......

Thanks. For some reason this device has problems with TOT (DSLAM/ISP) lines - well documented in Thai forums - so the fact that you are on True (DSLAM/ISP) is why you are not experiencing any issues. You also have the latest (3rd) firmware release. I have flashed this firmware on one 2640BT and am trialling it on a True line now.

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll try using the modem/router they supply for the time being. Just hope it's relatively straightforward setting it up so I can forward ports to devices connected to my RT-N16.

Slightly ot, the True engineer came today to put the line in and told my gf that we could only have 6mbps. The sales staff had obviously lied their teeth off by saying we could have 16mbps on Srinakarin. When my gf asked, the engineer said we'd probably have 16mbps down there by the end of the year. What a joke.

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll try using the modem/router they supply for the time being. Just hope it's relatively straightforward setting it up so I can forward ports to devices connected to my RT-N16.

Slightly ot, the True engineer came today to put the line in and told my gf that we could only have 6mbps. The sales staff had obviously lied their teeth off by saying we could have 16mbps on Srinakarin. When my gf asked, the engineer said we'd probably have 16mbps down there by the end of the year. What a joke.

I suspect something is amiss with how True rates maximum line rates. I live near Srinakarin too..and I have two TOT lines coming into my apartment. I used to have three, and each one of the three originally could only be assigned 1mb lines. Then one day we asked if we could get a faster rate (something we asked every 60 days for years) and we learned one line could have 16mbps, another line 6mbps, and the other 1mbps. Of course I pointed out all three of these lines terminated in the same room so why the difference? And was told "that's what the computer said.."

Since, one 16mbps line is fine.. it's actually 19mbps (the true tech increased to the max he could at my building node as a way of saying sorry for all the modem issues we'd had over the years) I discontinued one line, kept the other for my phone, and added my Linksys RV042 to my 'Big Box O' Routers'..

I'm going to have a garage sale soon..

If you're sold on the RT-N16 perhaps you should try the Asus model which includes an ADSL modem and all the features/quality of your current router? The Asus DSL-N13. It looks to have all the latest features and specs and you'd be familiar with their menus and how to adjust your settings. I install Asus PCIe Network cards (PCE-N13) all the time and never had issues with them.. highly compatible and tiny enough to fit in that oddball PCIex1 slot that sits atop most of the first slot PCIex16 slots..

I suspect something is amiss with how True rates maximum line rates. I live near Srinakarin too..and I have two TOT lines coming into my apartment. I used to have three, and each one of the three originally could only be assigned 1mb lines. Then one day we asked if we could get a faster rate (something we asked every 60 days for years) and we learned one line could have 16mbps, another line 6mbps, and the other 1mbps. Of course I pointed out all three of these lines terminated in the same room so why the difference? And was told "that's what the computer said.."

Since, one 16mbps line is fine.. it's actually 19mbps (the true tech increased to the max he could at my building node as a way of saying sorry for all the modem issues we'd had over the years) I discontinued one line, kept the other for my phone, and added my Linksys RV042 to my 'Big Box O' Routers'..

Anyone with a passing familiarity of telephony cabling would understand the variabilities in different lines, originating and terminating in the same locations. It is entirely normal to have three lines with completely different characteristics. Lines take different routes, have multiple bridges, taps, terminations, splices and connections. Have you ever looked overhead at the cabling here? Or noticed all the chaps leaning bamboo ladders up against the wire? Heck, even here in Bangkok most street-side cabinets are left unlocked. I am surprised that you, who seems to be pass themselves off as some sort of networking guru, thinks something is amiss.

Anyone with a passing familiarity of telephony cabling would understand the variabilities in different lines, originating and terminating in the same locations. It is entirely normal to have three lines with completely different characteristics. Lines take different routes, have multiple bridges, taps, terminations, splices and connections. Have you ever looked overhead at the cabling here? Or noticed all the chaps leaning bamboo ladders up against the wire? Heck, even here in Bangkok most street-side cabinets are left unlocked. I am surprised that you, who seems to be pass themselves off as some sort of networking guru, thinks something is amiss.

You certainly are familiar with the obvious, but that's no reason to get snarky. Do you attack everyone who disagrees with you? Okay, let me explain.

I've already said I've worked for YEARS with the True techs trying to solve these issues. They've already measured for the obvious. "taps, terminations, splices and connections" which are defective (and are correctable) would have immediately appeared when they tested the lines for noise, db loss, and voltage/current variations. The lines were all fine. And yes, we've all seen the mess of overhead lines, but my complex and most of the modern new construction [possibly such as the OP's new townhouses have underground cables directly connected to the SAI. The SAI is fed from a major feed and while a major storm or falling tree might take one out, normal wind and bamboo ladders will not affect them. So no, there were no 'obvious' reasons these three lines should qualify for different rates. They were tested and rated by the True techs themselves. Like I said, I think it has more to do with however their computers are set up.. Maybe different number series. I'm just not sure.

The RELEVANT POINT I was trying to make to the OP, was that the sales personal probably weren't lying. Other townhouses might very well have qualified for 16mbps lines and that's what they were going on. It 'could' just be the way the computer is looking at each line..

For the record I'm not a network guru and have never passed myself off as one. I've just had experiences like the next guy. So lets try to remain civil and friendly. This is the second time you've taken cheap shots and it's unwarranted.

Edited by BangkokImages

I wish I had seen this topic before my trip to Commart. I would have purchased a TP-Link ADSL Modem Router instead of the junk Cisco Linksys WAG120N that I did buy. The Linksys WAG120N is a joke. It has a very poor signal level. I have my laptop sitting 3 feet away from it and it only has 85% signal. I go outside my room (about 4 meters) and it drops to 30%. It also doesn't allow for DHCP reservation. <deleted>, even low end routers allow you to reserve IP address based on MAC assignments. I bought Linksys thinking that Cisco makes pretty decent products. Well not this one. What a disappointment. The positive side to this router is that it stays pretty cool and hasn't had issues disconnecting from the ADSL link (so far).

The reason I bought the Linksys was to replace another piece of junk that True gives you for free which is the NLink ADSL wifi router. The NLink would get very hot and locked up almost every morning requiring a minute shutdown/cool-off. The NLink actually replaced an older ZyXel 660HW-T1 ADSL Wireless router which died on me after two years. But at least the NLink and ZyXel routers had better signal levels then the Linksys and also allow DHCP reservation.

Also, a few years ago I used to use a Netgear wireless router but it burned up after a couple years of use so I vowed not to buy their products. Why is it so hard to find a good quality ADSL Wireless Router. I guess if I get frustrated enough with the Linksys, I will go out and get the TP-Link.

I wish I had seen this topic before my trip to Commart. I would have purchased a TP-Link ADSL Modem Router instead of the junk Cisco Linksys WAG120N that I did buy. The Linksys WAG120N is a joke. It has a very poor signal level. I have my laptop sitting 3 feet away from it and it only has 85% signal. I go outside my room (about 4 meters) and it drops to 30%. It also doesn't allow for DHCP reservation. <deleted>, even low end routers allow you to reserve IP address based on MAC assignments. I bought Linksys thinking that Cisco makes pretty decent products. Well not this one. What a disappointment. The positive side to this router is that it stays pretty cool and hasn't had issues disconnecting from the ADSL link (so far).

The reason I bought the Linksys was to replace another piece of junk that True gives you for free which is the NLink ADSL wifi router. The NLink would get very hot and locked up almost every morning requiring a minute shutdown/cool-off. The NLink actually replaced an older ZyXel 660HW-T1 ADSL Wireless router which died on me after two years. But at least the NLink and ZyXel routers had better signal levels then the Linksys and also allow DHCP reservation.

Also, a few years ago I used to use a Netgear wireless router but it burned up after a couple years of use so I vowed not to buy their products. Why is it so hard to find a good quality ADSL Wireless Router. I guess if I get frustrated enough with the Linksys, I will go out and get the TP-Link.

Why don't you take the unit back to Commart and get a replacement? Linksys make good gear but even they make the odd dodgy unit. I had a Linksys router that dropped the wi-fi randomly and despite firmware flashes, it was still dodgy. I returned it and got a new one under warranty. If Commart won't replace directly, then deal direct with Linksys.

I also have a defective Linksys 120N - it never worked as well as the cheap D-Links it replaced and recently started locking up when wireless tried to access (everything locked and no access to modem) and often took 3 or more power resets to get going again - only to drop again. Reset to factory and new install did nothing (except again install software I did not ask for or want).

Bought the TP-Link mentioned (everybody seems to have as main seller in Fortune) and has been up for about 3 hours so far and working great

The current TP W8960N have a mini CD for setup and it seems to do the job well but although I did select Thailand and got local providers after finished found Wireless was set for USA - don't believe I missed a box but it is possible. At any rate was easy to change to Thailand using browser. Also chose internet time option and that defaulted to Bejing so obviously one Thailand setting does not extend to everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of getting TRUE'S Hi-Speed Internet, ADSL line (16 Mega bits per second) in central business district in Bangkok.

I have a miniature UFO-looking "Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Gigabit Router, Model WAG320N" http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-dual-band-wireless/4505-3319_7-33564354.html?tag=content;get-selector

I am not technical at all and was wondering if that device modem/router would be compatible with True's internet line...

does anyone have any experience with this?