Hotkey Keyboard

loong

Hi

Everytime I start the computer a box in the task bar opens called HOTKEY KEYBOARD. If I click on it nothing happens, so I right click and close it down.

Anyone tell me what it is?

If it is useless, how do I get rid of it?

Thanks

Do you have one of these flashy multimedia keyboards with all sorts of extra buttons, scroll wheels, volume control etc etc?

If so it's probably the special driver to make the flashy bits work, if not it's something else.

If everything works with it shut down you can probably remove it.

Look in your startup group Start-Programs-Startup if you see Hotkey Keyboard (or something similar) you can simply delete it so the program won't run when you start the PC. If it's not in the Startup group look in Start-Settings-Control panel-Add/Remove programs and uninstall it from there.

Just hadf a thought (now that's amazing for a sunday morning).

You DO have a good anti-spyware application installed don't you? It's just possible that this is some nasty malware installing itself. Get Ad-Aware or the Microsoft anti-spyware software, just to be sure.

Thanks, strange that nobody else has had this.

I'm afraid that I am one of those people who use a computer as a tool, but basically ignorant of what goes on inside it.

Like a car driver that knows nothing about what goes on under the bonnet (hood).

Funny though, this Hotkey Keyboard has been appearing for some time now. Yesterday I reinstalled MSN Messenger 7 as been having some problems - Start up today - and no Hotkey keyboard button! I don't know if the 2 are related??????

Thanks, strange that nobody else has had this.

I'm afraid that I am one of those people who use a computer as a tool, but basically ignorant of what goes on inside it.

Like a car driver that knows nothing about what goes on under the bonnet (hood).

Funny though, this Hotkey Keyboard has been appearing for some time now. Yesterday I reinstalled MSN Messenger 7 as been having some problems - Start up today - and no Hotkey keyboard button! I don't know if the 2 are related??????

Could be because of u installed MSN Messenger extra or something (i cant remember the name). That caused me to have spyware but not like yours and after i uninstalled it, the spy ware disappeared.

Oops, misread the post - you are not having a problem with it just want to know what it is.

I believe Dell and HP computers use that (Hotkey Keyboard) on their systems. It also comes with Internet enabled keyboard sets. If you right click on it do you get a menu choice, such as options to define the keys?

Edited by tywais

Did you recently upgrade to XP SP2? Some problems re: keyboards have shown up in this.

Do you have an "Internet enabled" keyboard?  If so, then would recommend uninstalling the software and re-installing.  I believe Dell and HP computers use that (Hotkey Keyboard) on their systems.

No recent upgrade

I don't think that I have internet enabled keyboard.

I will wait and see if this button stays away now.

Since reinstalling MSN Messenger, the computer appears to be running much faster. I'm puzzled, but if it continues the same, then all to the good :o

I have that Hotkey keybord thing aswell. Its just that your Keyboard probably has those buttons like internet and volume settings its just the driver to ensure it works.

Its meant to be hidden but somtimes it appears at the bottom bar as if its minimised nothing to worry about though.