Opening Thai Bank Account On Tourist Visa

Hi All,

Picking up from an earlier topic, I'm a Canadian planning to retire in LOS and may go the route of entering as a tourist, then converting to an O visa for retiree (I am also considering the O-A route but let's keep that separate for now). To show the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for the O visa I will obviously have to open that account and transfer it from my Canadian account. My question is just whether there is any problem opening the Thai account when all I would have at that time is a tourist visa. Bit of a chicken-and-egg question and I assume it must be possible, otherwise how could I get the O visa, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here, and find out what they require by way of paperwork, besides a passport, to open the Thai account.

Thanks!

TG

I opened my account (with Kasikorn Bank) with nothing more than a 30 day visa exemption

If one bank/branch give you grief, then just move on to the next until one opens one for you

Penkoprod

Thanks! Do you remember if they required any special paper/ID other than your passport? What about address in Thailand, can you use a hotel or guest house?

TG

Should you meet the requirements for obtaining a 65K baht per month income letter from the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok, that would absolve you of having to open a bank account at least for the purposes of receiving an extension of stay based upon Retirement.

It is usually easy to open a savings account in Kasikorn and Siam Commercial (SCB) banks with a tourist visa or 30 days stamp. More difficult to open an account in Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai Bank, however also possible. I am not sure of chances in other Thai banks though.

Should you meet the requirements for obtaining a 65K baht per month income letter from the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok, that would absolve you of having to open a bank account at least for the purposes of receiving an extension of stay based upon Retirement.

Thanks but I don't have a pension so I guess I can't get that letter. But I have a lot of cash in the bank in Canada (more than 800K baht). But can the embassy in BKK give a letter about that?

Thanks but I don't have a pension so I guess I can't get that letter. But I have a lot of cash in the bank in Canada (more than 800K baht). But can the embassy in BKK give a letter about that?

If you are going the B800K route to get a retirement extension the money has to be in Thailand. Therefore, you need a Thai bank account.

I opened an account with Siam Commercial Bank when I only had a 30 day visa waiver. Same branch as my wife and all I had to show was my passport as proof of id.

The basis for issuing an affidavit of monthly income is unique to each country's Embassy in Thailand -- Canada does not seem to offer its criteria on its website -- however one way to establish a monthly income without pension is to have 2 accounts in Canada and have the requisite amount transferred each month from the 'master' account to the monthly income account.

You should contact the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok to better determine their criteria for such a letter... if possible it beats tying up 800K.

Here is a Pinned Topic from the "Jobs, Economy" Section, as said, if you get rejected just try another branch. It's useful to have a bank account here whether you use it for the retirement account or not.

http://www.thaivisa....nt-in-thailand/

Beechguy, thanks for the pinned info. Do you have any knowledge about using HSBC in Bangkok for the 800K requirement? One member had a suspicion that, as a foreign bank, it might not be allowed by some immigration officials, although I understand the rules do not distinguish on this basis.

TG

The official Thai Immigration wording (their English translation of Thai language 2008 document) says that the 65K baht per month income for purpose of extension based upon retirement:

"Income could be pension, interest, investment payoff, etc."... so up to you and one's Embassy Consular officials about issuance of any such Letter.

Like alot of things in Thailand it depends entirely who you speak to and where you go on the day, there are no consistencies, just go to a bank, take your passport and hope for the best. It may be easier in some places if you have a Thai go with you as they may not be used to handling foreigners or speak English. That depends entirely on WHERE you will be going. As suggested before, Kasikorn seems to be a favourite.

HSBC is not a Thai bank and it has been said before that SOME offices will not accept this bank, again no consistencies as usual, everything varies by day by office by town by region and by the person you speak to and what mood he or she is in........Welcome to Thailand......

I opened my account (with Kasikorn Bank) with nothing more than a 30 day visa exemption

If one bank/branch give you grief, then just move on to the next until one opens one for you

Penkoprod

Thanks! Do you remember if they required any special paper/ID other than your passport? What about address in Thailand, can you use a hotel or guest house?

TG

You can open an account with the address of a hotel. I have done this.

At the end of the day HSBC is just not that convenient having only one branch & limited connections with ATM and internet for bill payments and funds transfers that will be needed when you are actually living there. I would recommend one of the larger Thai banks, eg Bangkok Bank, which as good internet banking. Here is a link to their expat banking info, there is a pdf downloadable from this page which has a lot of useful info.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/default.aspx

Start with some sort of term deposit for the 800k and get another account with a debit card to use for daily transactions.

To answer the original question, you'll need a second form of photo ID and a local address, in addition to your passport.

TG,

If you apply for the O-A Retirement Visa in your home country of Canada, I think you can use the money in your bank there in Canada with the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Canada to meet the Income requirement. You can thereafter open a Thai Bank in the future if you wish to do so. The Web Site says a Notorized Bank Statement of 800,000 Baht or Equivilant. check with the Embassy or Consulate direct if you have any questions.

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/

If you get your O-A Visa from your home country, will not need to jump thru the hoops in Thailand to convert a tourist or visa on arrival to a Non-Immigration O visa.

1. You could obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa from most Consulates and that would make everything easier.

2. Money must be in Thailand for conversion from tourist visa to non immigrant entry.

3. HSBC has not been accepted this year by Phuket immigration from at least one report. At any rate account must be set up in Thailand so would advise using a Thai bank with free ATM pool access - you can use that account for your spending during the year and only top up to keep above 800k for 3 months prior to each extension.

4. Most banks will open an account but some do not want to bother when language is an issue or they having a bad day. Bangkok Bank officially allows and has full information on there web site so all offices should open if you follow that.

5. You might reconsider O-A as multi covers up to two years before money transfer is required if used (exit just prior to expiration) right.

Penkoprod

TG

You can open an account with the address of a hotel. I have done this.

I have use the service apartments address that I lived in. Just like any bank anywhere they want an address, some basic information and a phone number. Kasikorn charges you a fee of 150 Bhat for a convenience card, TMB charges you that fee twice, once in the current year and once in the next year.

Penkoprod

TG

Nope...no special ID or paper. Just my passport (from which they took a copy of a few pages)

The address i gave, and they wwre happy with was the hotel i was staying in

As has been said, if one bank, or branch give you a negative answer, keep going until you get a positive one

Dont worry too much at this stage as to the purpose/usage of the account. Just get one 1st, and worry about how to go about filling it when you got it

All this talk of 65k, 800.000TBH, O visa, O-A visa, etc is a bit "previous" right now

Also, if you can give a rough approximation as to the town you are thinking of retiring to, you might get some pointers as to good and bad banks/branches to try

Penkoprod

It is usually easy to open a savings account in Kasikorn and Siam Commercial (SCB) banks with a tourist visa or 30 days stamp. More difficult to open an account in Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai Bank, however also possible. I am not sure of chances in other Thai banks though.

I found just the opposite with SCB (small branch in KK). They wanted a work permit or yellow book .. (I'm on long time retirement extensions.)

Kasikorn (large branch in KK) wanted nothing more than an address and a copy of my passport.

Have opened multiple accounts with Bangkok Bank, small and large branches .. pretty much same as Kasikorn.

I think it varies quite a lot with the bank, the branch, and the self confidence of the bank's personnel. My first account was BB, opened on a permission to stay stamp, albeit on a referral from an existing bank customer. Even got a real credit card from that branch .. up country.

Also, if you can give a rough approximation as to the town you are thinking of retiring to, you might get some pointers as to good and bad banks/branches to try

Penkoprod

+1

Some banks have managers and officers with excellent people skills and customer service. Others .. well ..

But.............. Chonburi Immigration (Jomtien) likes to see a Thai bank book with few thousand baht deposited as well as the official letter from Embassy. Anyway, in general, the OP shouldn't have any problem opening a bank account and on any sort of basis.

It really depends on the branch. Tried a couple of banks before I could open an account. Almost had the second bank, but I think there were some language issues as my BF tried and he was a little frightened from getting turned down at bangkok bank.

The third and last (in Khantaralak) wanted the blue book which was fair enough..But they didn't need it for his acct, just mine, which is kinda weird, but okay.

Btw, in the future it will benefit you to get an account with a branch that is close to where you are planning to live (ie, same clearing district) or it will quickly get expensive withdrawing cash.I think kasikorn takes 20 baht every time I want some cash in BKK. I don't like walking around with 20k in my pocket so I usually withdraw 3900..

PS: I have actually met the bank manager of SCB in Khantaralak in a private party and he was either hitting on me or extremely interested in farangs. Had to give him several hugs.. :/ My third or fourth visit to Khantaralak was not so much fun. BF went to get his teeth fixed (200 baht for a hole, fillings, painkillers, antibiotics!) and I was walking around by myself. Unfortunately with a red t-shirt and some bitch who didn't know I knew a little thai called me katoey and sua daeng :/ I will admit the t-shirt did look a little katoeyish, but no reason to be a bitch b/c of that..

Edited by remiss

• 2 weeks later...

A little heads up, i tried to open a secondary bank account today at a kasikorn branch which didn't require a work permit before. The teller told me the bank's policy has been updated and all kasikorn branches now require a work permit to setup a new bank account.

I'm going to try at a few other kasikorn braches and bangkok bank next week.

Kasikorn bank Tha Pae branch in Chiang Mai gave me an account with ATM debit card by producing my passport with tourist visa. When I had a couple hundred thousand baht they even offered me a credit card, I didn't understand at the time but my girlfriend told them that "I had enough credit cards"...lol