Possible Embarrassment Ahead

Limbo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha

even the seedy sh*t holes on KSR wont let Thai people stay there.

I was in phuket with 2 friends (one Thai lady). They wouldnt even let her into the room to take a shower (we got caught in the rain), actually they wanted 1000 baht to let her come inside. No mention of this when she was standing next to me while we were checking in, gave my cradit card etc. then when she tried to go to the room the security man stepped in front of us, touched me on the shoulder (pretty rude in Thai custom) and then told me that it was an extra 1000 baht for her to come inside.

It took about 30 mins of persuasion to get a refund for the room - I had to talk to 2 managers who kept saying "can not, can not" without explaination. Basicly I had to threaten to call my credit card company and threaten them with a charge back to get the refund and leave the place. This is a big international hotel chain, I recorded the conversation on my friends cell phone and emailed it to the head office with an official complaint - but didnt hear anything back.

I think ill send them a bag of dog sh*it in the post..

I've never had a probem checking in to a hotel with my GF when we have checked in together. The only time I ever had a problem when my GF and I wanted to stay at Asia Hotel Pattaya, and had arrived separately. I had a day off, so I drove down in the morning and checked in, she drove down in the evening after work. She was treated like a BG, and they demanded a huge "joiner" fee. Asia hotel sucks in a big big way. They have security guards on every floor monitoring activity... watching for girls being sneaked in. My GF had to show a pass just to enter / exit the elevator.

We checked out the next morning and went to a cheap BG hotel. (If you can't beat them- join them!)

I work in the tourist industry, and my company holds contracts with many Thai hotels. They seriously do discourage Thai customers by preparing the contract in "markets". International market is always cheaper- Thai market is rack rate if there is a Thai market quoted at all.

The reason I have been given is that Thai people will over-occupy the rooms... bring the whole family and sleep on the floor. Also they tell me about problems with Thai people cooking in the rooms.

Surely we have all seen a pickup truck loaded to the max with Thai people stuffed in the cab and sitting in the back on the highway going on vacation. Said pickup truck will also have everything they need... foam mattresses, cooking equipment, etc. to have a holiday that everyone can enjoy.

I can kinda see the hotel's point in these aspects, but it still makes me angry as it smacks of racism. Especially so when you are negotiating with a Thai hotel manager / marketing representative and they are refusing their own people!

The top end hotels like Dusit et al don't really fall into the discrimination category because of their rates. Their prices are simply unrealistic to most Thai people. The base room category has an internet rate of 145 USD ++, and a rack rate of 210 USD++. 145 USD is approx 5800 baht. This is a week's wages or even as much as a month's wages for a lot of Thai people, and they wouldn't dream of spending this kind of money.

The real culprits discriminating against Thai people are the 1000 to 2500 baht per night hotels in the tourist areas such as Pattaya and Phuket. It is realistic for 4-6 Thai people who earn 8000 per month to pay 2-300 each and get a 1200/night room to share.

Having said all this- I'm not knocking the Thais. I've joined them on more than a few occasions, and had a great time.

Edited by bino

I've not actually had a problem, BUT we (my wife) have noticed signs in several hotels in the 50-80 $US price range indicating 'no Thais'.

Not sure if this is a get-out in case they don't like the look of you or what.

This has actually been discussed before (a while ago now, can't find the thread), it was mentioned that sometimes Thais will book a double room and fill it to bursting with family, obviously hotels don't want that.

So what if taksin walks in, or any influential thai come to that. Or is it just an absolute shithole where their is absolutely no chance of that. ????!!!!!

The only problem I've had was on holiday in Phuket with Thai g/f and she'd booked the hotel room from Bkk, going into the hotel late at night the receptionist stopped her, I laughed and walked through and left the receptionist to an earbashing from the payer of the room.

Embarrassing yes, but at no time there wasn't any doubt about my g/f staying in the hotel.

I did write a letter of complaint but of course I didn't receive a reply.

------------

I have heard that guest houses in KS rd won't let Thais stay, but why would you want to stay there, when there are very reasonably priced hotels all around Bkk.

------------

The OP is missing something from the story or its a piece of fiction.

I like KS road & prefer to stay there if we are there for more than a couple of days as it has everything on tap, we stay near the temple anyway & not on KS Road itself but there are only a few places there which allow thais. Otherwise we stay at a thai place near victory monument which has room service, a bathorrom with a tub & hot water & aircon for 400b a night. Bargain.

uncle paul Posted Today, 2005-09-18 19:38:28

not allowing thai's to stay in a hotel because they are thai is completely illegal.

if you know the right people a phone call will get this practice stopped

Me thinks that people in the know would not be staying over in such hotels that stop Thais.
Boo Posted Today, 2005-09-18 19:11:21

I like KS road & prefer to stay there if we are there for more than a couple of days as it has everything on tap, we stay near the temple anyway & not on KS Road itself but there are only a few places there which allow thais. Otherwise we stay at a thai place near victory monument which has room service, a bathorrom with a tub & hot water & aircon for 400b a night. Bargain.

KS road is good fun for people watching but I wouldn't want to stay there, what is the name of your cheap but good place in Victory Monument?

Two days ago, I was chatting with some friends at the front desk of a Sukhumvit Hotel.

A black man walked up and inquired about a room.

The receptionist stated the rooms were full.

After he departed, I asked her why she turned him away.

"Make problem" she replied.

Regarding renting rooms to Thais on holiday, I've witnessed a truckload of Thais rent a small room at a resort and practically destroy it over the course of two days.

Completly trashed the place and disturbed the neighbors.

Reading that makes me worry as we plan to visit Pattaya/Jomtien with my wifes family for a couple of days.Preferably a resort.Is it really so difficult for Thai people to make vacation in their own country????

Mike, You shouldnt have any problem. Its only the very upmarket hotels like Dusit and Royal Cliff that can be a bit choosey. Its still low season so i would think you would be welcomed with open arms at most hotels. Statisticly on a nationality basis Thais are still the largest visitor group to Pattaya.

It's not about skin color,or isarn region but highest amount of prostitutes in thailand is dark-skinned girl from isarn ( and most of prostitutes want to have farang husband ) . I never look down on "normal" dark-skinned isarn girl but some of them ( ปลาเน่าตัวเดียว ตายทั้งค่อง ). I think it's a kind of social control not discrimination .We hate "prostitutes" not "dark-skinned girl"

It's not about skin color,or isarn region but highest amount of prostitutes in thailand is dark-skinned girl from isarn ( and most of prostitutes want to have farang husband ) . I never look down on "normal" dark-skinned isarn girl but some of them ( ปลาเน่าตัวเดียว ตายทั้งค่อง ). I think it's a kind of social control not discrimination .We hate "prostitutes" not "dark-skinned girl"

?

What are you trying to say, one rotten apple ruin the basket, or fish :o ?

There are many prostiutes in Bangkok, but the ones with light skin generally are working with Thai customers.

Edited by Neeranam

It's not about skin color,or isarn region  but highest amount of prostitutes in thailand is dark-skinned girl from isarn ( and most of prostitutes want to have farang husband ) .  I never look down  on "normal" dark-skinned isarn girl but some of them ( ปลาเน่าตัวเดียว ตายทั้งค่อง ). I think it's a kind of social control not discrimination .We hate "prostitutes" not  "dark-skinned girl"

as Thais are the biggest customers for prostitutes in Thailand, obviously we do not hate them!!!

LET'S SAY IT TOGETHER, SPEAR!

LOUD!!!

:D

WE HATE PROSTITUTES!!!

:o

Wew, feel so much a better person now!!! What a relief!

meemiathai, when you've matured enough to grow hairs around your willy and you can then call yourself a man, try then shouting those very same 3 words (no more, no less) in the face of a Thai Bargirl trying to support a child and/or family.

Until then, don't let the anonimity of the internet bolster your machismo out of proportion with your true age.

First they tried the Pratunan Park Hotel. They were rudely told that there were no vacant rooms and the staff turned their back on them.

The Byoke Sky Hotel gave the same story, but in a more polite way.

The First Hotel offered hope. My friend went in alone, asked for a room with a big bed so that the daughter could sleep inbetween them. They had, no problem at all.

Untill his wife and daughter came in. Also that room was suddenly gone!

Hi,

I've stayed many times at the First Hotel (until it became a bit smelly and rundown!).

I then stayed many times at the Pratunam Park Hotel (until we bought a house in BKK!).

My Thai wife and I (I'm a farang) NEVER had these problems you speak of at these hotels. Always friendly and at the Pratunam Park Hotel we were given a discount card (Thai price:P) that we used many times.

Maybe the owners/staff have changed since we stayed there.

Even though my wife and I have had no problems at THOSE hotels, we did have problems at a 1st class hotel in Phuket when we returned back to our room at about 12pm after a good night out. The ahole behind the desk refused to give us theroom key because of my wife, even though the room was registered IN HER NAME!! :o

After an eventful 1/2 hour of exchanging words (at high volume!) he eventually gave us the key and we ended up getting a few of the nights free from the manager. These idiots (all hotels) should have a note with the key that there is a falang and Thai paying/staying in the room.

Cheers

Edit: BTW that room was IN HER NAME - registered with her falang passport which was located in the room safe.

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

I've not had too much problem checking in with the fiance (at the time) and getting good treatment - we tend to get in the room before too late at night so the security folks usually have no questions. Just as they take information from my passport, they also like to record or photocopy the wife's (now the proper current status) Thai ID card.

The only thing that's happened to me was on the last day of my three or four day stay at the Imperial Tara on Suk Soi 24, the travel agency called me up and said there would be an additional per-day charge of 800 Baht because there was a Thai person on the "double" reservation. I asked the agent why that made any difference and she said it was because of the contract she had with the hotel. Her Internet room rates were quoted only for "international" travelers. In turn I brought this up with the front desk people and they were clueless and a bit disturbed themselves.

So, I just smiled and paid. And of course we will never stay at the Imperial Tara or use Pacific International Travel for anything again.

Even though we are married now and would both be traveling back from the USA as "international" travelers, my wife can not get a US Passport for some time yet, as only citizens can do so. She will need to use her Thai passport and travel with her US Permanent Resident card. Hopefully the PR card and the airline tickets receipt will solve any such problem in the future.

But we've also visited many other hotels in Bangkok and elsewhere with no such issue.

It's very straightforward to read as much as you can about shared experiences and simply boycott the places that have undesireable policies. And if you "discover" some new undesireable policy, tell people about it and of course don't go back.

It is entirely believeable to me the situation the original poster presented. The front desk has considerably discretion about who they choose to let in on a walk-in basis, particularly if business is good.

kenk3z

One place I've ever had a problem, the Atlanta. They are very candid about their no-tolerance stand on sex tourism, fine. But I've been with my g/f for 3 years, didn't matter to them. I like the place a lot, used to stay there sometimes for downtime (quiet), has a great lobby, great pool area, nice dining area with a library and movies screened at 9 p.m. only decent rooms, but cheeeeap. Don't need to stay there anymore, live in the neighborhood now, but bummed me out at the time.

DD

LET'S SAY IT TOGETHER, SPEAR!

LOUD!!!

WE HATE PROSTITUTES!!!

:o

Wew, feel so much a better person now!!! What a relief!

I am glad that made you feel better

I wonder why you hate them so much? do you also hate their customers?

what have they done to you??

Sarcasm - well flew over your head. I think he was makning a point! :D

Well..no problem here anywhere in thailand..even last time we went to Pattaya...1 lesbian couple...one thai couple..one mixed couple....still got very nice service and a sentraly localized hotel with aircon for 450b a night....

Give the world a great big smile..and the world actually smiles back..lol

Additional info...

Lesbian couple...

Non thai blackish skin and thai medium complection...

Thai Couple...

Girl medium complection, boy darkish complection...

Mixed couple...

Falang and medium complection girl.....

So this should have given alot of possibileties for problems..but even so..we expirienced none......