• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LET'S SAY IT TOGETHER, SPEAR!

LOUD!!!

:D

WE HATE PROSTITUTES!!!

:o

Wew, feel so much a better person now!!! What a relief!

I am glad that made you feel better

I wonder why you hate them so much? do you also hate their customers?

what have they done to you??

Sarcasm - well flew over your head. I think he was makning a point! :D

Ok already, we know there is no problem with Thai girl, farang boy saying in Thai hotels.  We all knew this before this thread started.  Why belabour the point??

For your information: This isn't the Nepal Forum :o

Limbo.

Read some threads from TH forum about some Farang's missuses got that prob .. its not fair for them

anyhow what they did , they posted like you and some hotels are in their back list

for me, i have no prob about it... but try to imagine if i had a prob like that, i must be angry .... i had farang BF but never had that problem like you b4

anyhow, sorry about what you got

Bambi

Edited by BambinA

Read  some threads from TH  forum  about some  Farang's missuses got that prob .. its not fair for them

anyhow what they did ,  they posted like  you and some hotels are in their back list

for me,  i  have no prob about it... but try to imagine if  i had a  prob like that, i must be  angry .... i had  farang BF  but never had that problem like you b4

anyhow, sorry about what you got

Bambi

I appreciate your posting very much Bambi.

It's great to feel understood :o

Limbo.

Never had a problem anywhere. The Mrs is Thai, though light skinned. Even dragging our two farang-noi's around with us. Stayed in everything from guest houses (which I prefer) to top hitels - even in suites - never had a problem.

In fact, the only problem I had was in Bangkok at a hotel that was supposed to be 4 star (make that 2+). The sign at checkin said free breakfast. First morning - we got just that. Second morning, I'm blocked from entering the restaurant by a <deleted> of a manager stating that its only free for Thai's and I'd have to buy a 500Baht token. The sign was in English and said nothing of the fact that it was Thai's only. I sent the Mrs and her parents in - I was paying for two rooms - and while they ate, I got the moron to check us out. Two week booking for two rooms in a practically empty hotel reduced to two nights - now there's business sense for you! :o

Edited by wolf5370

Second morning, I'm blocked from entering the restaurant by a <deleted> of a manager stating that its only free for Thai's and I'd have to buy a 500Baht token.

It was nothing to do with the size of your belly and how much you ate on day one was it wolf. Put the Hotel out of business :D:D

Only joking mate. Good on you for checking out of the Hotel, i'd have done exactly the same. Any where else you could have done them for Race Discrimination as well but not in LOS eh :o

It's not about skin color,or isarn region  but highest amount of prostitutes in thailand is dark-skinned girl from isarn ( and most of prostitutes want to have farang husband ) .  I never look down  on "normal" dark-skinned isarn girl but some of them ( ปลาเน่าตัวเดียว ตายทั้งค่อง ). I think it's a kind of social control not discrimination .We hate "prostitutes" not  "dark-skinned girl"

as Thais are the biggest customers for prostitutes in Thailand, obviously we do not hate them!!!

Not the blokes anyway :o:D

LET'S SAY IT TOGETHER, SPEAR!

LOUD!!!

WE HATE PROSTITUTES!!!

Wew, feel so much a better person now!!! What a relief!

I am glad that made you feel better

what have they done to you??

Sarcasm - well flew over your head. I think he was makning a point! :D

oh, so thats what it was!! fooled me and a few others

I don't think sarcasm flies over the head, it merely is a weak way of making a point :D

Totster,

Same experiences in Vientiane. I used to do my tourist visa there (have B1 now) every three months (2+ext.) I like the city a lot and has some great cafe food and nice tree-lined streets (from the frogs I guess). They are really interested to make sure you aren't having any fun with the local girls, though. Had some passport and ID (for gf) checks a few times to make sure she insn't Lao (funny thing is she's from Nong Khai, a long golf shot over the Mekong in dry season). Still might go there once in a while, really relaxing. Place closes at 10 p.m. sharp, though.

"I am glad that made you feel better

what have they done to you??"

It's social control as i said > It's wrong value and danger for our children.

What do you mean by social control? By the Government or whom. As far as I can see most people prostitute themselves in all sorts of ways in Thailand, It's called trying to make a living. Corruption and nepotism in thai society is not "wrong values"? As for dangers to your children, drugs, gangs and even the inability by thais to control motorbike riding by children, seems a far greater danger to me. :o

"What do you mean by social control? By the Government or whom. As far as I can see most people prostitute themselves in all sorts of ways in Thailand, It's called trying to make a living. Corruption and nepotism in thai society is not "wrong values"? As for dangers to your children, drugs, gangs and even the inability by thais to control motorbike riding by children, seems a far greater danger to me. "

I'm sorry that you ALL can't understand me. It's quite deep in cultural issue where i can type it in thai language ?? there's thai forum in thaivisa, right? so you can get my point

I only had a problem once checking in. I'm taken as a Thai girl wherever I go and hubbie is white. We were in Chiang Mai and the hotel said it was full. It's only when I opened my mouth and started speaking to my husband that they realised I wasn't Thai and let us check out a room.

(We didn't stay there after all).

It's also curious that some have mentioned the higher hotel rates for Thais. I got the impression that at some places, Thai residents get discounts. E.g. when the Conrad first opened in BKK, rooms were going for 60 USD. We booked ours through a friend (we weren't residents at the time) and when the management found out, they got mad, but we still managed to get it for the price. Yeah, I know, still out of the price range of the average Thai - but I reckon there are a lot of hi-so Thais that can afford it...

I've posted this a while ago, but I had a major problem with The Atlanta Hotel last year.

Returned to Thailand after 3 months in the UK. I'd pre booked a room at the hotel by fax explaining that my g/f, now wife, would be coming up from HH to meet me there. In the event that the flight was delayed, I hoped that the hotel would allow her the facilities of the coffee shop, on production of her ID card, until I arrived.

I was first. Checked her into the room later - no problem. Having a few beers in the coffee shop, she had the audacity to rest her elbow on my shoulder. Well, the manager of the shop got the right hump and told her not to behave like that. When we asked for the bill, there was a printed message with it stating that our behavior was unacceptable and we were being asked to leave. If we didn't, the police would be called. I cleared it up with reception, rather than the stupid old dragon - Pee Anong.

Very embassassing, particularly as my wife is not used to BKK and I've been staying at the hotel off ond on for years. Never again.

I only had a problem once checking in.  I'm taken as a Thai girl wherever I go and hubbie is white.  We were in Chiang Mai and the hotel said it was full.  It's only when I opened my mouth and started speaking to my husband that they realised I wasn't Thai and let us check out a room. 

(We didn't stay there after all).

It's also curious that some have mentioned the higher hotel rates for Thais.  I got the impression that at some places, Thai residents get discounts. E.g. when the Conrad first opened in BKK, rooms were going for 60 USD.  We booked ours through a friend (we weren't residents at the time) and when the management found out, they got mad, but we still managed to get it for the price.  Yeah, I know, still out of the price range of the average Thai - but I reckon there are a lot of hi-so Thais that can afford it...

I was with my Malaysia friend (who is the opposite sex, female) in Phuket. She could pass for a Thai, as long as she didn't speak. It seemed that wherever we went, the service suddenly improved when people found out that she couldn't speak Thai.

It's sad to see how male and female Thais treat other female Thais so badly.

Mr. Toth:

It's sad to see how male and female Thais treat other female Thais so badly.

Me:

Yes, just think it would happen to yourself in your own country.

I am happy to hear that most of the respondents didn't encounter the problem.

And I am sad to read that my friends weren't an exeption.

Summarizing: To avoid the embarrassment, make a phone call first, especially If you want to stay in a 'middle class' hotel.

Thank you all for your replies.

Limbo :o

I'm wondering why my wife and I haven't had these troubles - except in one case where I mentioned on a previous page here.

I know others have said "no problems" with hotels but in our case it might be because normally when we are looking for a place to stay (where we did not book ahead) I sit in the car/taxi or whatever while she goes in an checks out the place.

We don't walk in together and when she gets a price and find they have a room she comes and gets me. We do this mainly because I'm lazy and she speaks Thai! :o

We when we both come back, what can the staff say!

It's a crap situation and Thai's are as fukced as any place with racism or whatever you call it.

A teensy-weensy bit of topic but a useful tip regarding hotels.

A few years back I enquired about the price of a room in Mae Hong Son and was told 900 b. I asked if they had anything cheaper and was then offered a room for 700b.

I think some hotels will naturally try and fill the most expensive rooms first that maybe have views, perhaps assuming that that's what the foreigner is wanting.

A particular hotel in Prachuap Khiri Khan has two different rates of rooms depending on what view you want. One looking out over the bay or one giving a view of mountain scenery, about 100-150b difference in overall price. They even have windowless rooms down in the basement for about 450b but only seem to offer them when all other rooms are full as at holiday times.

So it's kind of useful to ask for something cheaper if you don't particularly need a vista or if you perhaps arrive late at night and can't take advantage of any view whatsoever.

Even asking for no AFB may reduce the price by 50-150b too.

Edited by Gazza

I know others have said "no problems" with hotels but in our case it might be because normally when we are looking for a place to stay (where we did not book ahead) I sit in the car/taxi or whatever while she goes in an checks out the place.

Has she ever come back out to the car and told you that a hotel was full?

I have been in Thailand for 10 months and have travelled quite a bit with my Thai wife. I have never observed any discrimination against us in any way. Of course we don't go "smooching" in public and we dress conservatively. Sometimes hotels will offer discounts to citizens of thier country, which are not available to foreigners. This is also true in Malaysia. Many times when they see a foreigner, the price goes up. I have seen this more common in Malaysia than Thailand. Ten years ago, when I was in Malaysia with my Malaysian Chinese wife, there was an undercurrent of disapproval from the locals. I think they are more open-minded now.

:D Never had a problem at all. I remember in the babapboa days before I met my wife taking anything from 4 to 8 BG to the hotel for an all night :o In the expensive hotels such as Amari and Marriot I was not even charged the guest surcharge :D Then again that might of had something to do with the amount of money I was spending.

After I met my wife and married I remember staying in my favourite 3 star hotel and my new wifes family turned up. A quiet word with the manager and all 11 of them slept in the suite "lao style" :D

Never had any trouble at all. 4 / 5 Star Hotels want your money and will provide the service regardless. In the 3 star below hotels maybe I have been lucky, maybe its in the "approach" :D

Since I have settled married and had a family we get nothing but service you would never dream of in the west. For me, my Thai wife & loog klun :D:D

My GF and I HAVE been refused entry to hotels before. Numerous times. Sometimes I would get a room only to find out after I had paid there was a no Thai woman policy (they refunded) (usually more budget oriented travel) and no we were smelly, unshaven or drunk.

I am also under the impression (possibly mistaken) that Thai people (possibly at a lower budget range) have problems travelling within Thailand due to hotels etc wanting only the 'rich tipping' farangs.

My GF and I HAVE been refused entry to hotels before.  Numerous times. Sometimes I would get a room only to find out after I had paid there was a no Thai woman policy (they refunded) (usually more budget oriented travel) and no we were smelly, unshaven or drunk.

You would be amazed to find how much service improves when you are clean and sober. Try it next time..... :o

Two days ago, I was chatting with some friends at the front desk of a Sukhumvit Hotel.

A black man walked up and inquired about a room.

The receptionist stated the rooms were full.

After he departed,  I asked her why she turned him away.

"Make problem"  she replied.

Same thing happened to me when I checked into a certain Sukumvit Hotel during my first trip to Thailand a few years ago. But unlike the black guy in skippers post, I didn't depart when I was told that there were no rooms available, dispite the fact that I knew that there were rooms ( it was the middle of the low season, and the hotel was practically dead ), I took no for an answer, and demanded to speak to the manager. I know I would definitely "Make Problem" if there any B.S. :D:D

The receptionist got the manager, older Thai lady, and I looked her in the eye, and told her I would like to have a room please. She asked for my passport, looked at it, and said to the receptionist next to her, "American"...

Suddenly, I had a room..... :D:o:D

I don't have to tell you what would have happened if I had a Passport from some African country..... :D

After I got my key, I told them in the plainest English that what they did was wrong.

( I should have gone to another hotel in protest, but being a novice in Bangkok, I didn't. :D )

Anyway, the best thing to do with discrimination is to face and fight it, not walk away pretend it doesn't exist.

I wouldn't take this from white folks who do this in America, and I don't take from Asians in Thailand either... :D:D