Box Trailers

Thinking of getting a common 6'x4' single axil box trailer, many times things don't fit in the pick up tray with the 'carryboy' on, I can hardly remember seeing a box trailer in Thailand.

Has anyone had any experience getting one built here, and what about getting a trailer registered?

the funniest thing happened to me only this week ... i was driving along and a car with a trailer passed me by. i hadn't realised until that moment that I don't think I have ever noticed a car with a trailer driving here! And i have been here on and off for quite a few years. But strangely I have noticed one place (here in Chiang Mai )that has some new ones out the front for sale. No idea how much they want for them, but they look fairly stock standard as per the ones back in Oz.

Let's try this in Motoring.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe trailers are supposed to have their own licence plate and insurance (much like some mainland European countries) which is why you don't see many.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe trailers are supposed to have their own licence plate and insurance (much like some mainland European countries) which is why you don't see many.

yepp each trailer needs to be insured, taxed, reg plate and book. roadworthiness tests needed to be approved

not sure if foreigner can use a trailer legally as it is classsified as a commercial vehilce. other commercial vehicles (large yellow plate with black numbers only) can not be operated by foreigners

yepp each trailer needs to be insured, taxed, reg plate and book. roadworthiness tests needed to be approved

not sure if foreigner can use a trailer legally as it is classsified as a commercial vehilce. other commercial vehicles (large yellow plate with black numbers only) can not be operated by foreigners

Meaning, one would probably need a Work Permit. TIT :lol:

Meaning, one would probably need a Work Permit. TIT :lol:

No, WP is not issued for operating commercial vehicles. For Thai nationals only.

6 wheelers can be reg as private vehicles, even 6 tonners, and busses, but not sure about trailers

Well, I spose I will just have to take off the carry-boy, load it up 16 feet high, overload it and drive like a idiot and see how far I get without rolling itwhistling.gif

Edit, as I was told I suggested that some drivers in Thailand drive like idiots, of course, that would be wrong jap.gif

Edited by haveaniceday

Well, I spose I will just have to take off the carry-boy, load it up 16 feet high, overload it and drive like a idiot and see how far I get without rolling it, to much logic being safe and doing what a normal country would do.whistling.gif

as I have friends using trailers for bikes, jetskies and boats, I would check it out first :)

You mentioned CarryBoy? Here's a link that might interest you, I'd check with them on all of your concerns..

CarryBoy trailers

I think there's lots of reasons for someone to own a trailer that is not work related, we used to pack our camping gear in one and travel with it...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Foreigners can drive commercial vehicles here. I drive on a Thai licence for vehicles up to 10 wheels – have done for several years. Bor 2 is the version of licence open to everyone (Thai & foreigners) for personal business (the vehicle must have a normal black on white reg. plate) whilst Tor 2 is limited to Thais since this permits them to drive vehicles for hire (black on yellow reg. plates). I could have got Bor 3, which is for trailer-lorries. If applying for the Tor version, Thais must submit to fingerprinting and have police reports obtained before issue of the license. I drove a 6-wheeled 7 tonner for 3 years in connection with my then cattle breeding (note: I did not have a work permit – that issue isn’t raised by the vehicle licence folks, though they knew why I wanted the licence). I’ve renewed the licence twice (every 3 years) despite now only driving a pickup; currently thinking of buying and driving a 10-wheeler dump truck for my cassava farming.

Foreigners can drive commercial vehicles here. I drive on a Thai licence for vehicles up to 10 wheels – have done for several years. Bor 2 is the version of licence open to everyone (Thai & foreigners) for personal business (the vehicle must have a normal black on white reg. plate) whilst Tor 2 is limited to Thais since this permits them to drive vehicles for hire (black on yellow reg. plates). I could have got Bor 3, which is for trailer-lorries. If applying for the Tor version, Thais must submit to fingerprinting and have police reports obtained before issue of the license. I drove a 6-wheeled 7 tonner for 3 years in connection with my then cattle breeding (note: I did not have a work permit – that issue isn't raised by the vehicle licence folks, though they knew why I wanted the licence). I've renewed the licence twice (every 3 years) despite now only driving a pickup; currently thinking of buying and driving a 10-wheeler dump truck for my cassava farming.

Driving a vehicle with Tabien large (forgot the thai word) or with more than 7 seats is for Thai Nationals only. WP is not obtainable. Getting a DL is another department, doesnt make Labour Department look away

Foreigners can drive commercial vehicles here. I drive on a Thai licence for vehicles up to 10 wheels – have done for several years. Bor 2 is the version of licence open to everyone (Thai & foreigners) for personal business (the vehicle must have a normal black on white reg. plate) whilst Tor 2 is limited to Thais since this permits them to drive vehicles for hire (black on yellow reg. plates). I could have got Bor 3, which is for trailer-lorries. If applying for the Tor version, Thais must submit to fingerprinting and have police reports obtained before issue of the license. I drove a 6-wheeled 7 tonner for 3 years in connection with my then cattle breeding (note: I did not have a work permit – that issue isn't raised by the vehicle licence folks, though they knew why I wanted the licence). I've renewed the licence twice (every 3 years) despite now only driving a pickup; currently thinking of buying and driving a 10-wheeler dump truck for my cassava farming.

Driving a vehicle with Tabien large (forgot the thai word) or with more than 7 seats is for Thai Nationals only. WP is not obtainable. Getting a DL is another department, doesnt make Labour Department look away

Since you have forgotten the word I can’t agree or disagree with you but if you are disagreeing with anything I’ve just written, you are wrong. This thread is not about WP’s – it is about the possibility of legally driving a box trailer. I’m asserting, based on my personal and long experience, that the OP can obtain the necessary licence to drive his car with trailer, should a special licence be required at all (I cannot confirm that he cannot just use his normal licence). The WP issue only comes into question if he is using the trailer for work – certainly not if he’s simply using it to cart purchases home, for example.

Details

Category:

Cars, Trucks for Sale

Area:

City:

Ayutthaya

Contact Name:

David Bayes

Telephone:

Description:

A Tow a Van Box Trailer ,shipped from UK in 2005 ideal for Mechanic or Motorbike . Needs a bit of paint but otherwise , runs well .

Price:

50,000 Baht

( $ 1,672 | € 1,192 | £ 1,033 )

oops edit, saw above on todays Baht n' sold.

Edited by Velocette

Tried Carrymore, both numbers don't seem to work. Opps. Have emailed them though they have a good web site with great examples, even it has wrong numbers !!!!

TOW -BARS

I see ads for British made tow bars, does anyone have any experience with cost of a decent Thai tow bar in Thailand for a D-max? :)

Edited by haveaniceday

Tried Carrymore, both numbers don't seem to work. Opps. Have emailed them though they have a good web site with great examples, even it has wrong numbers !!!!

TOW -BARS

I see ads for British made tow bars, does anyone have any experience with cost of a decent Thai tow bar in Thailand for a D-max? :)

I just rang the english number 0868032100, no-one answered but it did ring.

TOW -BARS

So what about the Carry Boy website listed up top, they have exactly what you described and you already have a Carry Boy it seems like a good match..I've seen their equipment up close and looks very well built..

The cap who answered the English number said that his number had been listed on the website by mistake and it has never been changed. I got the feeling he was a little bit fed up actually !!

The caryboy trailer in the link is not what I am looking for, looking for a common in western countries open trailer, I am not doubting the construction of the carry boy products, the pics do look impresive, I had previously mentioned it int he context that my pickup with a carry boy on the tray limits what I can put in the pick up.

I figure I can buy one for about 35,000b retail, have one built by a local shop, who may or may not give me a successful product, ( I can just picture me in the left land and the trailer in the right land not following me and bouncing all over the place !!)

Still the question, can I drive the dam_n thing legally?

Next week will hunt for a tow bar.

rolleyes.gif

The cap who answered the English number said that his number had been listed on the website by mistake and it has never been changed. I got the feeling he was a little bit fed up actually !!

The caryboy trailer in the link is not what I am looking for, looking for a common in western countries open trailer, I am not doubting the construction of the carry boy products, the pics do look impresive, I had previously mentioned it int he context that my pickup with a carry boy on the tray limits what I can put in the pick up.

I figure I can buy one for about 35,000b retail, have one built by a local shop, who may or may not give me a successful product, ( I can just picture me in the left land and the trailer in the right land not following me and bouncing all over the place !!)

Next week will hunt for a tow bar.

rolleyes.gif

Tow bar

check your rear bumper first. Some with center step already have a hole for 1500 Ib/ 700 kg tow ball

be aware of the difference of 2inch and 50mm balls, both standards used in LOS

rolleyes.gif

Hmmmmm.....In your OP you mentioned a "box trailer" not an open bed trailer..... They'd also be the ones most likely to answer your question concerning legally trailering them here..

rolleyes.gif

Hmmmmm.....In your OP you mentioned a "box trailer" not an open bed trailer..... They'd also be the ones most likely to answer your question concerning legally trailering them here..

Australia = Box Trailer.

America = open bed trailer.

Same same.

rolleyes.gif

Australia = Box Trailer.

America = open bed trailer.

Same same.

Neary not same same, a box is a frigging box in any language... An open trailer is an open trailer in every language... Show me a "box" on an open trailer, that trailer has a frame that is not even square it is rectangular and open on all sides a box is closed on all sides and contains a roof aka cube..

Get a grip mate, in Australia its a box trailer, why are you always so argumentative ?

It's not argumentative it's principled. I wasn't wrong as suggested, the OP was wrong.. Bottom line is stop the local slang that applies to few but the OP and request what is needed in clear, understandable terms the world can decipher as when one doesn't do that it wastes peoples time who've courteously responded to the request..

An open trailer is an open trailer for example, it's not a "box trailer" plain and simple. If that's a down under term then it's nonsensical, but still it could be better clarified by saying an Australian style box trailer or cargo trailer for example. It's an entirely inaccurate description and should be taken into account as such when using it to request information, it's misleading and a waste of time for those who try to help and then someone mentions the difference as if it was some short coming on the part of the poster responding, it's frustrating when someone goes out of their way to help and then someone else attempts to use their efforts to try and make them look the fool for trying..

As I said why be argumentative, the OP was not wrong, I and many others knew what he was wanting, your wrong in assuming he wanted an enclosed trailer which in hindsight is rather daft considering the whole reason for the want of a box trailer was due to the fact his pickup has an enclosed tray with the Carryboy installed on it.

Edited by Spoonman