Dive Tanks On Flights

Crossy

OK, so this is probably done to death on the forum but as a non-diver I don't come here often.

Anyway, a mate is coming over to LoS for a month's RnR and diving, he's been before but always hired kit here. His description of the gear he hired was 'ropey' so he wants to bring his own from the UK.

Sooooo, can he bring (empty) dive tanks on a flight as checked baggage, I've told him to ask his airline (Thai) but for some reason he's not getting consistent answers.

Forum members to the rescue?

On nearly all airlines possible, but the tanks have to be open, i.e. the valve has to be removed.

Bringing tanks over though is IMO ridiculous, if the rental gear the previous time was ropey, find a good divecenter this time.

Tell him to not bother bringing a tank. Not necessary, and no one does that. Kind of pointless anyway because if he has a problem it will be from a bad fill, i.e. bad air, which even in Thailand is very very rare. Air fills and tanks are pretty safe here. Tank failures are also incredibly rare.

An aluminum 12 liter tank is about 16 kilos.

To transport a scuba tank, it must be completely emptied and the valve removed.

He can bring his own dive equipment no problem but tell him to forget the tanks. As long as the tank is stamped to say it has been inspected then it is fine. Dragging tanks here to save 100 baht a time seems stupid in the extreme. Also if he goes to a reputable dive school / shop then he can check out the kit before he dives. Getting decent dive kit isn't hard.

I tend to just take just my mask and regs when travelling. For me these are the two things that can make the difference between a good dive or a crap dive ;)

Tell him to not bother bringing a tank. Not necessary, and no one does that. Kind of pointless anyway because if he has a problem it will be from a bad fill, i.e. bad air, which even in Thailand is very very rare. Air fills and tanks are pretty safe here. Tank failures are also incredibly rare.

From approx. 60 dives in Thailand I got 3 times oil in the air and one time the tanks had the sticker: next inspection 1998 and were heavily bleeding everywhere, so that most tanks were down to 130-160 once we arrived on the dive site.

Maybe it was just bad luck, but for sure it is not very very rare.

From approx. 60 dives in Thailand I got 3 times oil in the air and one time the tanks had the sticker: next inspection 1998 and were heavily bleeding everywhere, so that most tanks were down to 130-160 once we arrived on the dive site.

So get your tanks from a good company.

So get your tanks from a good company.

Definetly Agree there get Tanks from good company. Or alternatively use a company that fills onboard and no problems. All the Dive boats i know leaving Chalong use the self fill on board.

Ian

Edited by stretch5163

Or alternatively use a company that fills onboard and no problems. All the Dive boats i know leaving Chalong use the self fill on board.

Ian

Yes, and there have been quite some problems with bad fillings on several boats, some of the guests ending up in hospital.

No, I'm not naming any names here.

In general the quality of tanks and service is ok here, but to suggest that on board fillings are always ok is not true.

I have to agree with Steven. Just because they tanks are filled on board doesn't make them guaranteed to be good. Tank filling is a combination of things. A tank in good condition, a compressor that has been regularly serviced and had its filters changed regularly and also the position of the compressor is also important.

A good way of getting a decent fill is to dive on Nitrox / EAN. The guy filling the tank is certified to do this against the Burmese boat boy who fills the air tanks ;)

Diving with a reputable dive company always helps as well :D

I have dived all over the world and never personally seen any injury due to a bad tank. I'm much more concerned with the filling station. I always ask to see where my tanks are being filled. Once I found the engine's exhaust practically blowing into the air intake! I went to another dive center. You bet I take my own regulators - some of the rentals are older than my dear departed grandma. But tanks? Might as well bring your own lead. BTW - if you DO bring your own tanks, some reputable dive centers will charge you an inspection fee before they'll fill them.

I have to agree with Steven. Just because they tanks are filled on board doesn't make them guaranteed to be good. Tank filling is a combination of things. A tank in good condition, a compressor that has been regularly serviced and had its filters changed regularly and also the position of the compressor is also important.

A good way of getting a decent fill is to dive on Nitrox / EAN. The guy filling the tank is certified to do this against the Burmese boat boy who fills the air tanks ;)

Diving with a reputable dive company always helps as well :D

I doubt that everyone who is filling Nitrox is certified but I think companies who fill Nitrox might be a bit more carefully.

the most important thing is to change the filters which means additional work and know-how.

Oil in the air can be smelled easily so I think it is the lesser problem, but like "Igor" write: the exhaust blowing in the air intake is scary.

No, I'm not naming any names here.

You should. A dive company that can't fill a tank safely should not be in business.

No, I can't, not according to Thai Visa rules and not according to Thai libel laws.

I do agree with you though, and can tell you that two of the problems have been eliminated the last few years :)

• 1 month later...

On nearly all airlines possible, but the tanks have to be open, i.e. the valve has to be removed.

Bringing tanks over though is IMO ridiculous, if the rental gear the previous time was ropey, find a good divecenter this time.

Why not.. rent them from StevenL where is you shop????

Why not.. rent them from StevenL where is you shop????

Kata Beach, Phuket.