Sky Bar

Hi folks,

I was at the airport today and something got me thinking: up near the far check in areas there are escalators going up to what used to be the Sky Bar. I used to really enjoy sitting in there for a few drinks and would tell arriving family members/friends to meet me there rather than fighting through the scrum downstairs. Then about two (more?) years ago it suddenly closed and it has never been replaced by anything,

So, I'm really curious if anyone knows why it closed, and why that space has been empty ever since? There must be a reason.

Cost of keeping power and aircon running for the few customers that used it?

I have to say that your visitors were exceptional in that after a long-arsed flight, they would navigate up 3 floors with baggage to meet you at the bar before navigating back down 3 or 4 floors to finally get ground transportation to final destination. You (and them) must have been the Sky Bars favourite customers!

Cost of keeping power and aircon running for the few customers that used it?

Well, yes, it was never that busy but it always had a few people in it. It was rare to get a seat next to the window. If it was always deserted I wouldn't have asked the question - it was usually half full.

I have to say that your visitors were exceptional in that after a long-arsed flight, they would navigate up 3 floors with baggage to meet you at the bar before navigating back down 3 or 4 floors to finally get ground transportation to final destination. You (and them) must have been the Sky Bars favourite customers!

Well we'd have to come up to the 4th floor to get to my car anyway so it wasn't too much further to come up to the Sky Bar where they'd have a cold beer waiting. Not too exceptional when you consider the rewards (cold beer) versus the sacrifice (er, nothing).

I used to go up there for last goodbyes before flying out. Never reopened after the occupation by the yellow shirt scourge. Was a good location, but a bit expensive.

Guess they couldn't make the grade. I recall it was mostly vacant of customers.

I used to go up there for last goodbyes before flying out. Never reopened after the occupation by the yellow shirt scourge. Was a good location, but a bit expensive.

Yeah, it was a little bit expensive but it was a nice place for a final beer and it was no more expensive than the dreadful rip-off places once you pass immigration. Sonthi, the BASTARD! Think it had closed even before those ridiclous selfish yellow <deleted> did their bit for democracy though.

Because it was was raving rip off so people looked at the prices and left without ordering anything.

Ding Ding Ding!! I was wondering how long it would be before I got my first typical Thai Visa reply. I was beginning to think it might not happen because I got a couple of sensible replies first, but well done, you get a gold star! I hope it looks nice on your backpack. Yes, people like you probably left without ordering.

The place was a little bit overpriced, but it was nice with good service so it was worth it in my opinion. Great view too. I miss it.

Two years seems a long time without it being replaced by anything, hence my question. There must be more to it than it being too expensive.

Guess they couldn't make the grade. I recall it was mostly vacant of customers.

It always had a few customers and at the prices they charged they should have been more than ok to survive. Anyway, if they simply didn't make the grade why has nothing been there since? It remains empty. Surely King Power (who control all commercial space at the airport) would rent it out to someone else or use the space themselves? Empty space is lost revenue.

I'd love to know why it is still empty.....

It was their 'high end' bar/restaurant with a view over the tarmac so I wouldn't have expected it to have street food prices. If it reopened, I would go back. I think the police use it as an office now.

i think the days of sending family members away and greeting new arrivals.is a thing of the past .with the cost of parking feees at most airports close to extortion . at sydney airport they charge .its 520 bath a hour .yes 18 australian dollars a hour to park hour to park a car. the airport is owned bye a mob called macquarie bank .who are known as a PACK OF BASTARDS in the banking world .they own toll ways ferry services anything to make aquick buck . james sydney hat yai .