Thai Military Neutral And Ready To Accept Poll Outcome: Prayuth

webfact

Military neutral and ready to accept poll outcome: Prayuth

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha on Tuesday pledged the military to remain neutral and ready to accept the balloting outcome regardless of which party emerged the winner.

"Everyone should think about the country staying on the path of democracy via the ballot box," he said, dismissing scenarios like the poll being derailed or the balloting plagued by violence.

Prayuth said he had already instructed his subordinates to prepare for the elections and assist to ensure security at balloting stations.

Commenting on the detection of certain soldiers from the 4th Cavalry Battalion at the rally site of the People's Alliance for Democracy, he said those were conscripted soldiers who had already been discharged from the Army.

He said he understood the discharged soldiers might have been linked to the PAD due to their loyalty to a retired officer.

"The military will be strictly neutral in the upcoming poll and not to dictate how the votes should be cast," he said.

Reacting to criticism that he was seen as being close to the Democrats, he said it was impossible for him to force some 80,000 conscripted soldiers and their family members to vote one way or the other.

He said he expected to remain on his job in the next government, voicing optimism that the balloting would be a best way to overcome the political predicament.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-22

Thai army chief vows to stay out of election

BANGKOK, March 22, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's powerful army chief on Tuesday vowed not to meddle in the kingdom's elections and stressed his neutrality following coup rumours and increased street protests this year.

General Prayut Chan-O-Cha, who is considered a key ally of the ruling Democrat party, said the army would help "steer our country back to democracy" and would abide by the results of a poll due in June or July.

"It is up to the people to decide which party will form a government. Whichever it is I am still the army chief," he told reporters.

Prayut insisted that the vote would be the best way to end years of political turbulence in the country, echoing comments by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday.

Coup rumours were stoked by the opposition earlier this year following fresh protests by the nationalist and royalist "Yellow Shirt" movement and violent border clashes between Thailand and neighbouring Cambodia.

The military has often become involved in politics in Thailand, which has seen 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932, but both the army and government have denied an impending intervention.

"We will be neutral in the election because we cannot control anyone. The army must comply with election law and all troops can cast votes in their respective constituencies without pressure from the military," Prayut said.

He said the army could be involved in election security, in a sign that the politically divided nation, still recovering from deadly street protests last year in which over 90 people died, could see friction during the poll.

"I have instructed all army unit leaders to be prepared for the election and supply manpower to ensure security at polling stations," he said.

The Thai government on Tuesday cited "threats by some ill-intentioned people" after it agreed to extend special powers across seven districts of Bangkok until April 24 under the Internal Security Act.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-22

Thailand's powerful army chief on Tuesday vowed not to meddle in the kingdom's elections and stressed his neutrality following coup rumours and increased street protests this year.[/b]

General Prayut Chan-O-Cha, who is considered a key ally of the ruling Democrat party, said the army would help "steer our country back to democracy" and would abide by the results of a poll due in June or July.

"It is up to the people to decide which party will form a government. Whichever it is I am still the army chief," he told reporters.

The mili

Let's hope the comment that the General is a key ally of the Democrat party is not as straightforward as it sounds.His political views are a matter for himself but his confidence he will still be army chief if the Democrats'political opponents legally obtain power might be open to question.

In most countries he would be quickly sacked for aligning himself so openly, if indeed that is what he has done.

Let's hope the comment that the General is a key ally of the Democrat party is not as straightforward as it sounds.His political views are a matter for himself but his confidence he will still be army chief if the Democrats'political opponents legally obtain power might be open to question.

In most countries he would be quickly sacked for aligning himself so openly, if indeed that is what he has done.

The reporter said he "is considered a key ally of the Democrat party", mostly by the red shirts.

That wasn't something that Prayut said ... at least not "so openly".

The reporter said he "is considered a key ally of the Democrat party", mostly by the red shirts.

Good to know that.For a moment I thought there was a suggestion that a Thai General might be politically aligned to Democrat and elite interests.Silly of me to have even considered it.

Good to know that.For a moment I thought there was a suggestion that a Thai General might be politically aligned to Democrat and elite interests.Silly of me to have even considered it.

I'm sure you're not the only one thinking that. Every other red shirt supporter will have the same opinion.

Amazing that this is even a consideration in what claims to be a democracy... It is effectively saying "Yes, we have the might and the power to take over and throw out any government we want, but we promise we won't do it this time - though we could, you know, and don't ever forget it, folks." So they will steer the country back to democracy by not having a coup - wow, they should give trophies for that. It is like claiming you are some kind of hero for not going around punching people in the head.

the nation:

"Everyone should think about the country staying on the path of democracy"

afp

"the army would help "steer our country back to democracy"

he is contradicting himself - depending to whom he is talking.

I think that to the foreign journalists it is more difficult to lie and they would question his statements, hence the general was more inlined to go with the truth

A Thai Army general officer openly aligned with a particular group (other than the Army itself?), hasn't happened since May 13th 2010 when Sae Daeng was killed. At least that goes for active duty generals, all groups seem to have retired generals in their ranks many of whom still have people that show loyalty to them that are active duty!

I am not sure that any kind of reshuffle of the top command can happen for awhile legally. (If it could then I think the Reds would have taken the early elections offered before they started tossing petrol bombs last April!)

BANGKOK, March 22, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's powerful army chief on Tuesday vowed not to meddle in the kingdom's elections and stressed his neutrality following coup rumours and increased street protests this year.

Prayut insisted that the vote would be the best way to end years of political turbulence in the country, echoing comments by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday.

Coup rumours were stoked by the opposition earlier this year following fresh protests by the nationalist and royalist "Yellow Shirt" movement and violent border clashes between Thailand and neighbouring Cambodia.

The military has often become involved in politics in Thailand, which has seen 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932, but both the army and government have denied an impending intervention.

"We will be neutral in the election because we cannot control anyone. The army must comply with election law and all troops can cast votes in their respective constituencies without pressure from the military," Prayut said.

He said the army could be involved in election security, in a sign that the politically divided nation, still recovering from deadly street protests last year in which over 90 people died, could see friction during the poll.

"I have instructed all army unit leaders to be prepared for the election and supply manpower to ensure security at polling stations," he said.

The Thai government on Tuesday cited "threats by some ill-intentioned people" after it agreed to extend special powers across seven districts of Bangkok until April 24 under the Internal Security Act.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-22

same as blowing in to the wind........ if he likes to take power just he can arrange a coup....;:D

A Thai Army general officer openly aligned with a particular group (other than the Army itself?), hasn't happened since May 13th 2010 when Sae Daeng was killed. At least that goes for active duty generals, all groups seem to have retired generals in their ranks many of whom still have people that show loyalty to them that are active duty!

elections offered before they started tossing petrol bombs last April!)

I'm not sure why the murder date of Sae Daeng is relevant.He was aligned with the redshirts.Is that your point?

The AFP article refers to Prayuth's Democrat links which is why the matter is being discussed.

If your key point that Thai generals are not political, thank you for providing the forum with a giggle.

I'm sure you're not the only one thinking that. Every other red shirt supporter will have the same opinion.

Not even the the most brazen reactionary bothers to pretend the top brass is neutral in Thai politics.

That's not even an interesting observation.The interesting observation is whether when push comes to shove which way will the intelligent officers jump, particularly when (how to express it delicately ) the environment has changed.

Here's a clue.There are some very intelligent Egyptian generals.

Thailand's powerful army chief on Tuesday vowed not to meddle in the kingdom's elections and stressed his neutrality following coup rumours and increased street protests this year.[/b]

The mili

And they call themselves a Democracy :lol:

Not even the the most brazen reactionary bothers to pretend the top brass is neutral in Thai politics.

That's not even an interesting observation.The interesting observation is whether when push comes to shove which way will the intelligent officers jump, particularly when (how to express it delicately ) the environment has changed.

Until he proves himself to not be neutral - i take him as such. When and if he shows himself to be otherwise, I will change my opinion accordingly. I take people one at a time. There might be a suggestion in there.

Until he proves himself to not be neutral - i take him as such. When and if he shows himself to be otherwise, I will change my opinion accordingly. I take people one at a time. There might be a suggestion in there.

Well said Tiger. We should all take people as we find them/

Too many people on here can't wait to get stuck in without thinking that maybe some Thai's are real patriots who care about the country and it's people.

I hate this tar them all with the same brush smart a$$ attitude on here and very seldom post because of it.

elections offered before they started tossing petrol bombs last April!)

I'm not sure why the murder date of Sae Daeng is relevant.He was aligned with the redshirts.Is that your point?

The AFP article refers to Prayuth's Democrat links which is why the matter is being discussed.

If your key point that Thai generals are not political, thank you for providing the forum with a giggle.

What I was replying to was YOUR post about military being involved in politics "That a Thai general might be aligned to Democrat and elite interests", I find it strange that you don't see the relevance of Seh Daeng (a serving Thai general) ) being openly aligned with the REDS and Thaksin's interests. It might suggest a bias on your part to not see that you mentioned Thai Army generals aligning with one set of elites while failing to regard the open alignment of a Thai army general with another set of elites :)

The post I replied to with no deletions...

I am not sure that any kind of reshuffle of the top command can happen for awhile legally. (If it could then I think the Reds would have taken the early elections offered before they started tossing petrol bombs last April!)

Why are you so down on the Reds? Are you one of those ELITES?????????? Then you, if you are you must owe some money for the cleanup at BOTH airports and the Government House YOU destroyed. But then again you are some one of the ELITES that does not have to pay for anything ------------------ just take it for the common folk. :bah::whistling:

Well said Tiger. We should all take people as we find them/

Too many people on here can't wait to get stuck in without thinking that maybe some Thai's are real patriots who care about the country and it's people.

I hate this tar them all with the same brush smart a$$ attitude on here and very seldom post because of it.

You are right. And when I pst on here I usually get red lined but its ok. And besides where do the patriots come from? Surely not the ELITE -------- They come from the common folk.Just like all soldiers do.

What I was replying to was YOUR post about military being involved in politics "That a Thai general might be aligned to Democrat and elite interests", I find it strange that you don't see the relevance of Seh Daeng (a serving Thai general) ) being openly aligned with the REDS and Thaksin's interests. It might suggest a bias on your part to not see that you mentioned Thai Army generals aligning with one set of elites while failing to regard the open alignment of a Thai army general with another set of elites :)

So you are saying that no conclusions can be drawn because there are generals like Seh Daeng (before he was killed) aligned with the reds as well as those aligned with the ruling elite?

You really do need to start studying the background of the army in Thai politics.To attempt to equate one rogue general with the whole apparatus of the Thai army involved with repression over many years is just laughable.

You really do need to start studying the background of the army in Thai politics.To attempt to equate one rogue general with the whole apparatus of the Thai army involved with repression over many years is just laughable.

You mean it's not the generals at all, it's just the Thai Army apparatus? It would be the same without any generals?