Becoming A Thai Citizen

Belfastboy

Neeranam,

don't be disgusted but just follow the wisdom of your signature:

เข้าเมืองตาหลิ่วให้หลิ่วตาตาม

Just close the other one as well and go by the feel. :o

Despite the firm Scottish heart you ain't prevent rubbing-off after a while being here. Isn't your walking style kind of more sluggish since your first touched Thai soil and haven't flip flops replaced the fine classical leather shoes? Stay alert or evenutally you gonna end up Scotthaich with or without possessing land in LOS.

Cheers,

Richard :D

เข้าเมืองตาหลิ่วให้หลิ่วตาตาม

Just close the other one as well and go by the feel. biggrin.gif

Despite the firm Scottish heart you ain't prevent rubbing-off after a while being here. Isn't your walking style kind of more sluggish since your first touched Thai soil and haven't flip flops replaced the fine classical leather shoes? Stay alert or evenutally you gonna end up Scotthaich with or without possessing land in LOS.

:o

Mate, of course I have changed, I live in bloody Isaan, the most laid back place on Earth.

I have lived in Thailand for many years now and I don't notice the changes as they are gradual. When i get old mates visiting, it is them that see the change. The "mai pen rai" attitude and appearing very laid-back.

Also the "graeng jai" thing I seem to have adopted.

Walking style? not sure but I don't shuffle yet.

A freind of mine was going back to school to learn to write some types of documents he had to be able to do to pass "the test". He could speak thai and has worked here for a long time talking to thais on the phone.

So as posted there could very well be a test as well. I belive you also have to be able to sing the national anthem.

though $$$ could pass you as with the driving test.

I wish I had applied when it was only 9,000, only a couple of years ago.

I also think that the applicant must pass the P6 Thai language exam, the same one that 12 year old Thai kids do, and there are some other tests. I would be ok with the Thai language one but might fail the ability to sleep at any time of the day test. The lazy shuffling of the flip-flops in the shopping Mall at tortoise speed would come with practice, and I'm sure I could keep a 5 baht coin in my ear for the required time. :o

Don't flatter yourself. You think that the flip flop shuffle can be learned?! It is only after years of practice, that one can have the tilt to the side floppy hair at the front toss to one side; jeans slightly dragging on the ground, flip flops dragging and nonchalant conversation of the phone at the same time punctuated by musical ring tones.

Add to that the all important black T shirt with Indy print on the front (preferably a bad metal band or similar) and no socks.... this is not just walking...it is BEING the very physical representation of time melting away itself as originally visualised by Dali in that oh so famous picture.

R U up to it?

R u?

อาร์ยู??????????

Does one have to adopt a Thai name when acquring Thai citizenship?  I see many Chinese people modify their names when becoming Thai citizen...  eg. men adding "sak" to the end of their original name to make it sound like Thai name.

Interesting point that no one has answered yet. At a "Guess" i would say "No" nowadays but in the past i would say "Yes". My assumption is that, previously if a woman took the Farangs name when she got married, then she wouldn't be able to buy land etc. However, nowadays they can, so i would assume a Thai name isn't as neccessary as before. But, you know what they say about people who "Assume". :o Anybody else out there know for sure what the stance on this is?

No, you do NOT need to have PR first and hold it for a minimum of 5 years.

Basically, there are two ways to apply for Thai citizenshih:

1. Obtain a PR first and after possessing it for a minimum of 5 years apply for citizenship. The application will solely be based on being a long time resident of Thailand.

2. Staying for a minimum of 5 years in Thailand consecutively means single enty non-immigrant visa with annual extensions of staying permit in the Kingdom. Apply for citizenship on base of humanitarian reasons and/or being beneficial for the country, her culture and her people.

It is very difficult to find reliable information about applying for citizenship. I have been informed by the police unit in charge of such applications that the only evidence acceptable to show point 2 above is to have your name in a BLUE tabiann baan for 5 years prior to application. As far as I know, following discussions with the loacl authorities when I obtained my PR, a foreigner cannot get his or her name in a blue tabiaan baan without PR.

So, the plot thickens.

Bob

why on earth would anyone want to become a thai citizen? you would still be a farang to the thais especially all the bureaucrats and business people you have to deal with but would be perpetually subject to arrest and improsionment without any recourse or even being shot as a "suspected" drug dealer without anyone having to explain...you would have hassles going to any other country that you can now go to, many without even an advance visa...

havent you noticed than most thais wish they could get out of here and live somewhere else? with a thai passport, you could be stuck here for a long long time, trying to get visas...

if your motivation is to buy land, just form a company and have the company own the land...

Is it allowed to still have dual nationality when you need to join the military either in your own country or in Thailand?

Ofcourse they don't know that I have 2 nationalities. But when I have to join the military when I'm 21 years old, I need to register myself in Thailand. Then they will ask where I've been spending my life all these 21 years. Or not? And I don't know if this happens alot, they can ask if you have a visa (or a EU-passport) to travel to EU-countries if you leave Thailand with a Thai passport? What will you answer then? And when I stayed in Thailand for 1,5 or 10 years and come back to the EU, if they ask why I was away for so long and why I don't have a visa? I can tell them I stayed in other countries in the EU, but maybe thats suspecious.

Joining which military? For international Thais that were born abroad, they typically get stuck in military intelligence where there's basically nothing to do day to day anyway. It's a rather cush post, so my friends say.

Is it allowed to still have dual nationality Joining which military? For international Thais that were born abroad, they typically get stuck in military intelligence where there's basically nothing to do day to day anyway. It's a rather cush post, so my friends say.

Every now and then, they would let us play with those wonderful Billion $$$ toys! :D

Does one have to adopt a Thai name when acquring Thai citizenship?  I see many Chinese people modify their names when becoming Thai citizen...  eg. men adding "sak" to the end of their original name to make it sound like Thai name.

Interesting point that no one has answered yet. At a "Guess" i would say "No" nowadays but in the past i would say "Yes". My assumption is that, previously if a woman took the Farangs name when she got married, then she wouldn't be able to buy land etc. However, nowadays they can, so i would assume a Thai name isn't as neccessary as before. But, you know what they say about people who "Assume". :o Anybody else out there know for sure what the stance on this is?

I'm a thai citizen and my surname is 100% western.

I'm a thai citizen and my surname is 100% western.

So is mine (full Japanese name). But I was born as a Thai citizen. I'd like to know what the case is when one acquires a Thai citizenship through the process of naturalization.