Cost Of Living In Pattaya

cedd82

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20,000 is a good night out in Pattaya, enjoy your stay with all the other balloon chasers :rolleyes:

LDOP. :whistling:

I had to google that, maybe spending a bit too much time on one of the more graphic forums??

The definition I found related to a 2 week millionaire, after 5 years here I hardly think that applies.

Yes I have spent 20k on a night out - not very often but it has happened. Trying to live in Pattaya on 20k a month is just ridiculous :blink:

Pattaya is not that cheap these days and trying to exist on a budget of 20k a month whilst doable doesn't offer much of a lifestyle.

100k up is what I think you need to lead a good lifestyle in Pattaya. I spend on average about 180k a month when i am in Pattaya but that is being in holiday mode so I think I would have to tone it down a bit if i was there full time.

If you only have 20k per month you might be better off going somewhere else in Thailand where the cost of living is cheaper.

Alternatively save more money or stay for less time and enjoy yourself. Pattaya is not really the best place to live like a monk!

TAT will be pleased.

Just the sort of quality tourist that Thailand is looking for.

there is not that much empty seating space available,

on beach road/ bamboo bar , for the CCs to watch the world go buy .

guess i need to get there early , for seat on the wall .

imo , pattaya is the cheapest place to live in LOGs.

:jap:

If you only have 20k per month you might be better off going somewhere else in Thailand where the cost of living is cheaper.

Do you really think the cost of living is cheaper elsewhere? I don't believe it.

The level of fierce business competition in Pattaya gives people abundant choices and value you cannot find anywhere else.

The main expense for the OP will be accommodation. I'd would bet he'll get better value for money than anywhere else in Thailand due to the huge glut in the market.

...and where else in Thailand can you find the choice of restaurants and buffets, food courts and street vendors?

...24 hour food courts and supermarkets. Convenience stores on every corner.

Going elsewhere to try and forge some sort of lifestyle on 20K per month would be foolish.

Edited by tropo

Pattaya is not that cheap these days and trying to exist on a budget of 20k a month whilst doable doesn't offer much of a lifestyle.

100k up is what I think you need to lead a good lifestyle in Pattaya. I spend on average about 180k a month when i am in Pattaya but that is being in holiday mode so I think I would have to tone it down a bit if i was there full time.

Alternatively save more money or stay for less time and enjoy yourself. Pattaya is not really the best place to live like a monk!

I would go out barhopping once or twice a week as an expat. After 2 years of that sort of lifestyle, I decided to quit. Not that healthy and not very safe. Although I still do indulge occasionally these days..

Do you really think the cost of living is cheaper elsewhere? I don't believe it.

The level of fierce business competition in Pattaya gives people abundant choices and value you cannot find anywhere else.

The main expense for the OP will be accommodation. I'd would bet he'll get better value for money than anywhere else in Thailand due to the huge glut in the market.

...and where else in Thailand can you find the choice of restaurants and buffets, food courts and street vendors?

Going elsewhere to try and forge some sort of lifestyle on 20K per month would be foolish.

On 20k a month he wont enough money to enjoy most of the restaurants buffets etc.

However if he trawls around to enough bars he will find a pig on a spit and free food and might be able to survive like that. :lol:

Yeah I rent a modest 3 bed 2 bath house with off street parking for 16,000b per month here in Pattaya, my step father whom is a 30k a month teacher in Chanthaburi rents house that dwarfs mine and is on a huge plot of land for 4,000baht.

Yeah I rent a modest 3 bed 2 bath house with off street parking for 16,000b per month here in Pattaya, my step father whom is a 30k a month teacher in Chanthaburi rents house that dwarfs mine and is on a huge plot of land for 4,000baht.

It all depends on where and what you want to rent (condos, houses, townhouses, rooms etc). You have a huge spectrum of accommodation types available here unlike anywhere else in Thailand.

If your father-in-law rents a huge quality house for 4000 baht per month anywhere he's being subsidized. Got any photos?

Edited by tropo

On 20k a month he wont enough money to enjoy most of the restaurants buffets etc.

Sure, he won't be splashing out, but he'll be able to afford the odd 100 -- 200 baht buffet a few times a week.

The point is that Pattaya affords great value for money,.

If your father-in-law rents a huge quality house for 4000 baht per month anywhere he's being subsidized. Got any photos?

subsidized, sorry where did I mention that, but interesting you brought it up, my place is paid for by work so effectively I pay zero.

Edited by Spoonman

Sure, he won't be splashing out, but he'll be able to afford the odd 100 -- 200 baht buffet a few times a week.

I totally agree. Of course, if you don't want value for money, that option is readily available as well!

Does your 20K/month include the 6K rent, or is the 20K just spending money on top of the rent? Assuming the latter, you will have 650-700 Baht/day to play with.

Book a room at the Jomtien Long Stay hotel, near the Machanu Statue on the sharp bend in Thappraya Road just before coming to Dongtan Beach. The rooms costing 6000 Baht/month are OK, the hotel has a rooftop pool, and it's ideally located for a quiet, cheap, beach-oriented holiday. Jomtien Beach and Dongtan Beach are a short stroll away. Find an open area of sand rather than pay the deck chair vendors. Don't feel guilty, many of the Russians do the same thing. Eat a good farang breakfast for around 100 Baht, widely available in the area. In the nights, eat Thai food if you can, it's cheap and good, 30-50 Baht from a street vendor and maybe 100-150 Baht in a restaurant. 150 Baht will also get you a basic burger and chips or fish and chips. Try the new Chokdee restaurant behind Country Road III. They do a special every day, and once a week it's fish and chips and a beer for 180 Baht. If you need lunch, get a snack from a 7-11 or a beach vendor, maybe 50 Baht. So food is sorted for around 200-300 Baht a day. Drink water, the big 5 Baht bottles are good value, but they have the reverse osmosis machines now that cost just 1 Baht/litre, if you can find one working. If you need booze, drink in Lovejoy's (all local beer 50 Baht) or Fantasy Bar (40 Baht), though on your budget you won't be getting plastered. Your hotel is right on the Baht Bus route if you need to go into Pattaya, so transport costs will be negligible. You can buy cans of Diet Coke or whatever from the 7-11s and Family Marts if you get bored with water. I can't remember if the hotel charges you for power, but as long as you don't want to run the aircon, it's not expensive. Lights, TV and a small fridge will cost around 10-15 Baht/day, unless the hotel is ripping you off on the unit cost. Check this before you book. Depending on what you've eaten and drunk, you'll have 100-200 Baht/day left over for luxuries - sun oil, clothing, books, and so on. It will be a basic and quiet life, but you can do it with no problem.

That is existing, not LIVING!!!!

JH

:clap2:

If you run short you can always collect plastic bottles from the trash dumpsters on Beach Rd every day, like another farang guy does.

However if he trawls around to enough bars he will find a pig on a spit and free food and might be able to survive like that. :lol:

Is that why they call some guys who do that "balloon chasers"?

I agree and I much rather live on 20,000 a month than try it in my own country. :bah:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I totally agree. Of course, if you don't want value for money, that option is readily available as well!

that IS value for money. You cannot expect to get the same feast as at the Dusit buffet, but you pay only 100 Baht. And those buffets exist and they are all you can eat. Yes, I am in the fortunate position that I do not have to eat there and for me food has a higher priority than for others. Add a little more money and you can have ok food anywhere in Pattaya. Bei Anton in Nakluea for instance, 180 Baht I think it was. Not too bad. Considering the price great value for money. And in this category Pattaya is unbeatable!

that IS value for money. You cannot expect to get the same feast as at the Dusit buffet, but you pay only 100 Baht. And those buffets exist and they are all you can eat. Yes, I am in the fortunate position that I do not have to eat there and for me food has a higher priority than for others. Add a little more money and you can have ok food anywhere in Pattaya. Bei Anton in Nakluea for instance, 180 Baht I think it was. Not too bad. Considering the price great value for money. And in this category Pattaya is unbeatable!

I tried that Anton one in Naklua once....horrible...even the Lek buffet is better than that which is or was 180 baht.

Sailor Bar in soi 8 that has cheap drinks and cheap food and is a natural for those on a limited budget if you can handle the people that work there.

I second your opinion of Anton. What is odd is that even at the high end beach hotels - at least some of them - you pay say 400 baht for a breakfast buffet and it is horrible. Why is there nothing like what is offered in Bangkok's posh hotels?

Yea I know, this is Pattaya.

I second your opinion of Anton. What is odd is that even at the high end beach hotels - at least some of them - you pay say 400 baht for a breakfast buffet and it is horrible. Why is there nothing like what is offered in Bangkok's posh hotels?

So after trying a 400 baht breakfast buffet in Pattaya you've come to the conclusion that all high end buffets in Pattaya are inferior to their Bangkok counterparts?

in the high end category there is a place in Pattaya which (i think) is unbeatable. Hilton dinner buffet 700 Baht, on fridays (focus on seafood) 800 Baht.

in the high end category there is a place in Pattaya which (i think) is unbeatable. Hilton dinner buffet 700 Baht, on fridays (focus on seafood) 800 Baht.

+1 for that Naam. I tried it one evening in January and it was well worth it.

I think 700 baht for a buffet sounds like an awful lot of money. Does it have beluga caviar, truffles and foie gras?

Everybody are of course entitled to their personal tastes and opinions but I'd rather spend 300 baht on the 4 course special at Cherries restaurant. :P

Everybody are of course entitled to their personal tastes and opinions but I'd rather spend 300 baht on the 4 course special at Cherries restaurant. :P

Cherrie's is quite good for the money IMHO.

Edited by Ulysses G.

So after trying a 400 baht breakfast buffet in Pattaya you've come to the conclusion that all high end buffets in Pattaya are inferior to their Bangkok counterparts?

Let's put it this way. What is the equivilant here of the buffets at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok? (any of them)

And I have tried more than one here - hence "some of them"

Another example is that seafood one on Pattata Beach road(the ship themed hotel). Total rip-off,

I have a theory that the reason for this is the number of Asians coming here in bus-loads who have no idea what good western food tastes like and will put up with anything. They have lowered the standards.

In Bangkok there is more of a corporate culture and expectations are higher. Of course even there there is a lot of junk.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Let's put it this way. What is the equivilant here of the buffets at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok? (any of them)

Another example is that seafood one on Pattata Beach road(the ship themed hotel). Total rip-off,

I have a theory that the reason for this is the number of Asians coming here in bus-loads who have no idea what good western food tastes like and will put up with anything. They have lowered the standards.

In Bangkok there is more of a corporate culture and expectations are higher. Of course even there there is a lot of junk.

There are many 4 and 5 star hotels in Pattaya. Your limited experience with "some of them" is just too limited to draw the sort of conclusions you're coming to. I don't think we'll ever know because not many forum members run around trying all the upmarket breakfast buffets.

There are many 4 and 5 star hotels in Pattaya. Your limited experience with "some of them" is just too limited to draw the sort of conclusions you're coming to. I don't think we'll ever know because not many forum members run around trying all the upmarket breakfast buffets.

All we need is a report from one member. So maybe we will know as it is equally true that not all members dine in the same upmarket establishment at any given time. Hmm :lol: