Ranong - Visa Run

Hi

Anyone done recently - I last did 3 years ago - I just looking for updates wrt:-

1 - Cost of songthaew to Saphan Bpla

2 - Immigration still on the pier at Saphan Bpla

3 - Cost of the boat (previously THB50 each way)

4 - Cost of entry to Myanmar (Irish passport)

5 - Requirements at Myanmar side - copy of passport (which pages?)- Photos?

And anyone know the requirements for a Thai National?

Kind Regards

Thanks

Mate,save yourself a lot of hassle and go to the Andaman club.850 Baht inluding the $10 fee to enter Myanmar.Faster and a lot less painful than doing it the "cheap" way.

If you do decide to go to Kawthaung [how is that pronounced by the way?] be aware your 10 bucks must be in pristine condition.I believe they will accept Baht but it will cost you more,and don`t forget to take an umberella.

The Thai nationals all seem to have border permits.Not sure how they are applied for.

thanks for the reply but i prefer to do it the 'cheap way' for many reasons (money not being one of them), least amongst them being i will spend half a day exploring Kawtung and on arrival back at Thai Immigration disembarking with 40 other farang tends to slow down the process. I've done the trip twice (last time 3 years ago) and its 'fun' to mingle with the locals

I often do it for the same reasons as you - it's a fun day without the expense and 'cleanliness' of the Andaman Club trip!

I usually park my car next to the pier buildings. It's free, and never had any hassle. There's an Esso station nearby where the visa-run buses and others park, but I think there's a nominal charge to park there.

A motorbike taxi from the bus station will cost 200 baht return. They'll usually wait for you to return, so they're willing to hang around to ensure they get your 200 baht fare, bless 'em.

Immigration still on pier. You nowadays need a passport photocopy for the boat boys. Take one with you, or there's a little office doing them there for 5 baht a piece.

Jeez, when did you pay 50 baht each way?? Fuel has rocketed since your last trip. If you have a longtail to yourself, I really don't think you'll find it cheaper than 400 baht return. Sharing with others, you could likely get it for 300, or maybe even 250 baht return.

As others have said, it is 10 crispy new dollars.

Just a passport at the Myanmar side. The boat boys tend to do all the rest, and they have the camera technology in Kawthuang, so they take your picture at the immigration office.

Thai nationals can travel on a border pass. My wife and child sometimes comes with me (Oh, I know how to treat the girls well!), and they both need a couple of passport size pictures, ID cards, passport in case of my child who's too young for an ID card. Again, there's a little office on the jetty that deal with border passes, and it's an easy process. Suggest that you take your passport photos with you, though, it's a bit of a time-consuming ball-ache to get it done locally, but it can be done if needed.

Naturally, don't go over on a Thai national passport. They could, but then they have to pay the 10 dollars fee. A border pass is the cheaper option and only a few baht.

Big thanks for the posting Lannatyne

Last time January 2009 -- If u can speak Thai and work on the basis that locals use this as a commuter service then THB50 seems reasonable. Last time (January 2009) I joined a boat, already chartered with 5 other Farang who didn't speak Thai and had agreed to a round trip 250 each, round trip --

Which province is stated on ur wife's id card? I ask cos sometimes the rule is Thai whose id card is from a neighbouring province can ...... other regulations apply for those who come from a non bordering province