Will They Issue Me A Non-O (Over 50) Visa

I had the exact same situation come up two years ago.

I got my first 90 day Non-Immigrant Type-O visa (for the purpose of retirement) issued in Vientiane two years ago when I was only 49. Seeing as I was gonna turn 50 before the 90 days ran out they issued it to me without a question, with just the standard documentation needed for qualifying for that type of visa.

I previously was on an extension of stay on an ED visa, but it was set to expire BEFORE I turmed 50, and Suan Plu wouldn't budge on the age requirement. That's why I had to go get the new visa out of the country to cover the gap in timing.

After that, when there was a month left on the visa I got in Vientiane; I went to Suan Plu (now Changwattana) and applied for a yearly extension of stay based on retirement.

Hope it helps.

I don't think Changwattana will issue you either a 90 Day Type-O or a yearly extension of stay because at this time you don't meet the age requirements. You could try it, but I honestly doubt it.

A Consulate will likely issue the visa but is can not be extended until after age 50.

So it looks like it's doable!... I get a 90 Day Non-O Retirement Visa 30 days before I turn 50 (that's when my present visa runs out)... Then after I turn 50 I have 60 days left on the Non-O Retirement Visa to have Thai Immigration extend it with the usual 1 year extension.

You would also have the option to change a visa exempt entry or tourist visa at Immigration once turning age 50 at an additional 2,000 baht cost. But some offices require you to do that in Bangkok and then return to do the actual one year extension of stay later.

You would also have the option to change a visa exempt entry or tourist visa at Immigration once turning age 50 at an additional 2,000 baht cost. But some offices require you to do that in Bangkok and then return to do the actual one year extension of stay later.

Do you know if I can do this at the Chiang Mai Immigration Office?... That's where my house is :rolleyes:

Edited by sfokevin

A Consulate will likely issue the visa but is can not be extended until after age 50.

So it looks like it's doable!... I get a 90 Day Non-O Retirement Visa 30 days before I turn 50 (that's when my present visa runs out)... Then after I turn 50 I have 60 days left on the Non-O Retirement Visa to have Thai Immigration extend it with the usual 1 year extension.

Where do you plan to apply for this? What country/embassy/consulate? There is no such thing as a single entry 90 day O "retirement" visa. There is a single entry O and there is an O-A retirement visa (but that's annual and only available in your home country). If by any chance you are talking about LA, I don't think there is a good chance they will give you a single entry O based on your interest in retirement.

Edited by Jingthing

Where do you plan to apply for this? What country/embassy/consulate? There is no such thing as a single entry 90 day O "retirement" visa. There is a single entry O and there is an O-A retirement visa (but that's annual and only available in your home country). If by any chance you are talking about LA, I don't think there is a good chance they will give you a single entry O based on your interest in retirement.

I am confused - Two longtime global members here have opposite views - One says likely now you say not possible?... I was hoping to go to a nearby consulate and get what is refered to in the "Current Visa Availability Thread" (See link below) as a "#Non-O (Over 50) Visa" Which I assumed was for retirement purposes?...

Jingthing is saying the visa is not called retirement - it is a plain Jane non immigrant O visa which you use retirement plans to obtain. Normally you would have to be over age 50 for issue but people have obtained if they turn 50 during entry period. It will be up to the Consulate. As Consulates in the US were required to only provide O-A visas in the past the single entry O was not an option. However things may have changed at the honorary Consulates as they can no longer process the O-A retirement visas (all of which is off-topic for you if doing locally).

Where do you plan to apply for this? What country/embassy/consulate? There is no such thing as a single entry 90 day O "retirement" visa. There is a single entry O and there is an O-A retirement visa <SNIPPED>

Real-Thing:

You are correct there is no such thing as a "single entry 90 day O "retirement" visa", however there is such a thing as a Single Entry 90 day Non-Immigrant Type-O visa "for the purpose of retirement" .

You're tryin' to split hares (and animal rights activists the world over are up in arms over this!!) :o

Being the long time poser <sic> ;) errr poster, that you are on T/V; you know visa terminology is, more times than not, mixed up, referred to in the wrong context, and with the wrong wording. Its just a fact. :D ..

I still stand by my assertions that the O/P (if he will turn 50 within 90 days) can certainly go to Vientiane and get a Non-Immigrant Type-O visa for the purpose of retirement in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I did it when I was just over a month short of 50. Why did they do it? Because I would turn 50 BEFORE the visa ran out.

Don't try to muddy the waters talkin' about an O-A visa. He just needs a Single entry Type-O. :bah:

I also don't see where the O/P said he was in the US. Then again maybe I can't read. ..

If he's in S/E Asia, or Thailand already, he'll have no problem. Even if he happens to be in the US now, I think the honorary consulate in Houston would probably help him out.

FWIW: I tell acquaintances to AVOID both L/A and D/C when dealing with Thai Embassy/Consulates in the US of A. They both fall short as far as good customer service.

Edited by tod-daniels

Yes sorry for my initial referral error...

I'm happily sitting here at my house in downtown Chiang Mai and in a couple months plan on flying to either Phnom Phen (Boring but easy) or Singapore to get the Single entry Type-O visa - Thanks Tod :rolleyes:

Edited by sfokevin

Singapore would not be on most peoples first choice list (unless a resident). They are often very picky about any visa issue. I would suggest KL if heading in that direction - believe the flight costs should be about the same.

I TOTALLY agree with "lopburi3"; Singapore is definitely not "user friendly" for foreigners!

I'd try K/L, Vientiane or maybe Phnom Penh. From the reports on T/V, it would seem K/L is pretty ‘user friendly’.

Seeing as my experience is only with Vientiane, I really can't weigh in with an opinion about other places.

Still, good luck. ..

The posters name starts with SFO, which is the code for San Francisco International airport. Since he didn't say before where he was, I guessed that maybe he was in California, so that's why I mentioned issues with LA as that's where Californians usually deal with for visas. This is why it's always helpful to give lots of info in visa questions, nationality, where you are, where you plan to be, etc. and then you can get more specific info and quiet possibly vital information for your situation.

Being the long time poser <sic> ;) errr poster, that you are on T/V; you know visa terminology is, more times than not, mixed up, referred to in the wrong context, and with the wrong wording. It’s just a fact. :D ..

This isn't the first time you've gotten snitty with me on the visa forum -- please stop it. This is the visa forum. It's not the place for those kinds of games. It's for matter of fact information sharing. If someone says they are going for a 90 day retirement visa, it is completely appropriate to inform them that no such thing exists. That's not splitting hairs, that's a big error. I will stop making comments like this the moment I don't feel like bothering and/or the mods order me not to post here or accuse me of mostly providing bad advice. Edited by Jingthing

Can I pick one up simply for being + 50, I need another three months in Thailand...? Would my gf writing some letter help? I don't want to buy my ticket to states now for many reasons to can't show that. Could make a booking perhaps.

Single would be fine

Best place to go. Kuala Lumpur or Vientiane I suppose

Can I pick one up simply for being + 50, I need another three months in Thailand...? Would my gf writing some letter help? I don't want to buy my ticket to states now for many reasons to can't show that. Could make a booking perhaps.

Single would be fine

Best place to go. Kuala Lumpur or Vientiane I suppose

Is your intention to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand near the end of the time on that single entry O?

This isn't the first time you've gotten snitty with me on the visa forum -- please stop it.<SNIPPED>

Actually, in reading the previous posts of the poster known as real thing, :whistling: they do post accurate and GOOD visa info.

I apologize and stand humbly erected :o <sic> errr corrected :) . ..

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. ;) ..

I just want people (foreigners) to have good info, not that spurious stuff out there on the internet!!

FWIW: I’ll say sorry once more to “Jingthing” SORRY :)

Edited by tod-daniels

Tod... Thanks for the information about Singapore and for gently correcting my terminology... You have a great bedside manner :rolleyes:

I was still wondering if it is possible to do the Tourist Visa conversion to the Non-O at the Chiang Mai Immigration office?

Edited by sfokevin

Jing - no, I just need three months before I go back to states, can I fake it?

Don't mind Todd, he's in that 1990's/AOL phase of his posting career blink.gifwhistling.gifhuh.gifblink.gifdry.gifwink.gif

The latest info that I know (so seek other opinions) is that if you show up at Penang for example being over 50 and tell them you are planning on a retirement extension in Thailand, they will give you a single entry O visa. That would be a fib if you don't plan to do that; have no idea what the future consequences of that if any would be (wouldn't go back there for awhile and try the same thing!). I don't think you even need to show them proof of money for that, but it wouldn't hurt to show a healthy Thai bank account if they ask. Don't see the point of a girlfriend letter either for that plan. Laos also, not as confident about KL.

If by any chance it ever does come up later that you got that O based on a false claim, you could always say you got a headache and changed your mind. I doubt there's any legal obligation to actually go through with the later application.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks.

I'm tired of Penang and I really hate those fools in that mafia kiosk. I don't use hate mildly here. The whole Banana-ThaiConsulate monopoly although I hear is loosening - left such a bad taste in my mouth. Reminded of freaking Nepal or Cambodia. I was inches to emailing the Minister of Tourism who I had met in Penang a few years prior.

I'm just looking for an easy 3-4 mos before I go back to states.

I was still wondering if it is possible to do the Tourist Visa conversion to the Non-O at the Chiang Mai Immigration office?

Chiang Mai Immigration has, in the past, done conversions for those meeting retirement eligibility. However, they will not do (or didn't used to do) conversions for those going the marriage extension route. These folks had to go to Bangkok for their conversions.

So, yes, based on prior examples, you should be able to get a conversion in CNX if retirement eligible -- or soon-to-be eligible, based on the money in the bank example, where conversions are issued when all requirements are met -- except the issue of aging (in this case, the requirement for 2-months aging of funds in the bank). One would think the same principal should apply to required physical aging --

Then again, uncharted territory and Immigration often make for a strange cocktail...

I just obtained a conversion to non-imm-o for retirement purposes on Thursday 3/24 at the Chiang Mai Immigration office. It was converted from a tourist visa that

was about to expire. Cost was 2000bht, and it's a 90-day visa with option to extend for 1 year after the 90 days. The only thing I needed besides my passport was

an affidavit from the U.S. Consulate, here in CM, that verified my income to be within the accepted requirement. Incidentally, when I return for my 1yr extension, I have

to submit another income verification, they told me the one I had was only good for 3 mos.

I do not wish to hi-jack this post but may I respectfully seek some visa advice based upon my following personal information (ex-pats in Pattaya keep giving me different advice and I really don't know where I stand):

I am a UK citizen aged 64 - birthday November. I retired and moved to Thailand in 2007 and later that year married by long-time Thai girlfriend - there is one dependant child of the family aged 13 (her father is a Thai national and has not had anything to do with the child for over 10 years). I fully support our family unit. We have a house (in Pattaya) in my wife's name. I do not have a Thai bank account and I am not minded, at this time, to open one. My annual income puts me outside the provisions for applying for a Retirement Visa. Since 2007 I have entered Thailand on a non-immigrant 'O' multiple entry visa and have undertaken the usual 90 days runs to the Cambodian border at Ban Laem. I have run my visas for about 14 months each then I have returned to UK (not always with my wife) to visit family and thereafter obtain another visa from the Thai Consulate in Hull. I can stretch my current visa until early December this year. I would prefer to visit UK, say, every 18 months to two years. Based on the above personal, domestic and financial situations is there any way I can remain legally in Thailand for a similar lengthy period without having to leave the country. If I have to leave the country then I might as well put the expence towards returning to the UK to see family.

Many thanks in anticipation of all advice received.

No. Unless you are willing to deposit 400k in bank account or have Embassy letter of income in the amount of 40k per month (marriage extension of stay).

You could use the ED (study Thai or something else) extension of stay method (visit immigration every 90 days for new 1,900 baht extension of stay).

Retirement has the option of showing a combination of yearly income and money in the bank (in Thailand). The total must be 800,000 for an extension of stay.

The marriage extension does not allow the combination of income and money in the bank.

and it's a 90-day visa with option to extend for 1 year after the 90 days.

The one-year extension *will* be tacked-on to the end of your current 90-day permission of stay. But, you'll need to do the 1-year extension before that 90 days expires, which can be up to 30 days before.

Incidentally, when I return for my 1yr extension, I have to submit another income verification, they told me the one I had was only good for 3 mos.

Re the above: only if you obtained the income verification before the last week of Feb. Otherwise, you should be good-to-go for your extension on May 23rd.

Chiang Mai seems to still be in form -- doing conversions for retirement eligible -- but not doing same-day conversions *and* one-year extensions, even if the applicant meets all the one-year extension requirements on conversion day (some Immigration offices south of CNX have been known to do all of this same-day).