Earthquake In Burma/Thailand

webfact

7:23 here in Chiang Rai, just felt a 7 second aftershock. It's so quiet here, I heard it come on up the hill from the north - to my house.

Hi Brahm,

Good to hear you are ok and no damage from quake there in CR. As a long term resident of CR and not living so far away from the Mekong, I wanted to sound you out if anyone up there is talking about or has ever speculated on, what would happen if one of these periodic quakes that the general region north of you receives, were to damage one of the dams the Chinese have built or are building on the Lancang- Mekong. For example, Jinghong can't be too far away from the epicentre.

While the press immediately report that there are no risks of a tsunami from this quake, they fail to report on the status and condition of the dams in the region. If one of those behemoths on the upper Mekong were to crack and burst, then it would cause a destructive riverine tsunami of biblical proportions downstream. The potential for a cascade effect of bursting dams increases with each new dam added to the river, which is a risk posed downstream which so far has not been given a lot of airing, compared to say the effect on biodiversity, fisheries and livelihoods of people depending on the river. The prospect of a riverine tsunami running all the way down to Vientiane and possibly beyond is something that disaster mitigation planners should be considering for the future I would have thought. It is also another argument for not building the Sayaboury Dam and others in the Lower Mekong Basin countries, given the geological instability of the wider region. There is additionally the risk of reservoir-induced seismicity, something that a massive reservoir like Xiaowan just completed could trigger - and if that went, then heaven help those living downstream to the Delta, I would imagine.

Any discussion going on to your knowledge about this aspect of the dams?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 11 dead after powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, surrounding countries

On TV last night One guy said there were a number of aftershocks but they ain't very active. A radio broadcast station reported one dead.

and while I'm on my bed... Thinkin' what word this dude use to present the news of this northern earthquake? I was thinkin' of "Earthquake rocks Chiangmai and Chiangrai".

Unsurprisingly, it is here............ hahah.....

Edited by dunkin2012

That timing seems a bit off

The story in the link now says "The quake struck at 8:25 p.m. local time Thursday" but even that isn't right.

edit: actually it is. Myanmar is a half hour behind Thailand.

Edited by whybother

7:23 here in Chiang Rai, just felt a 7 second aftershock. It's so quiet here, I heard it come on up the hill from the north - to my house.

Hi Brahm,

Good to hear you are ok and no damage from quake there in CR. As a long term resident of CR and not living so far away from the Mekong, I wanted to sound you out if anyone up there is talking about or has ever speculated on, what would happen if one of these periodic quakes that the general region north of you receives, were to damage one of the dams the Chinese have built or are building on the Lancang- Mekong. For example, Jinghong can't be too far away from the epicentre.

While the press immediately report that there are no risks of a tsunami from this quake, they fail to report on the status and condition of the dams in the region. If one of those behemoths on the upper Mekong were to crack and burst, then it would cause a destructive riverine tsunami of biblical proportions downstream. The potential for a cascade effect of bursting dams increases with each new dam added to the river, which is a risk posed downstream which so far has not been given a lot of airing, compared to say the effect on biodiversity, fisheries and livelihoods of people depending on the river. The prospect of a riverine tsunami running all the way down to Vientiane and possibly beyond is something that disaster mitigation planners should be considering for the future I would have thought. It is also another argument for not building the Sayaboury Dam and others in the Lower Mekong Basin countries, given the geological instability of the wider region. There is additionally the risk of reservoir-induced seismicity, something that a massive reservoir like Xiaowan just completed could trigger - and if that went, then heaven help those living downstream to the Delta, I would imagine.

yes.....there has just been a 10 minute TV report on CNN and TAN on the proposed new dam on the Mekong......Not only for the reasons you refer to, but the disastrous ecological effect on all insect, plant and marine life. They also included the negative effects on the indigenous population living around the area, who would lose their livelihood and in some cases their daily food intake from fish/marine life that have been caught by these villagers for as far as back as is historically recorded

In Chiang Mai we evacuated the hotel where I stay. After about 15 min. went back to room and goofed around with the girlfriend. Abit after 10 pm. I had just laid down, felt the bed moving again, thought it was the girlfriend rolling over but it was the second quake or an after shock. Out of the room and down stairs again, this time off to the bar for a while.

So lets start building a Reactor somewhere near the Border.

And Thailand wants Nuclear Power?

The Japan nuclear reactors handled the magnitude 9.0 earthquakes.

They didn't handle the tsunami though. It was only designed to handle a 7 metre tsunami, but got a 10 metre one. That washed the back up generators away, so they couldn't be used to pump water to cool the nuclear rods.

Edited by whybother

USGS (US Geological Survey) reporting a 6.8 and 4.8 quake hitting the region.

http://earthquake.us...region/Asia.php

Just for the rcords: Ratchadamri, 15th floor, blinds and closet doors were remarkably shaking for about 30 seconds, gf on chair felt shaking and got dizzy, only a few people lurking at the reception after...

Manachai, Samut Sakohn, felt nothing, but a "herd" of dogs took to barking

A " herd " of dogs WOW!! That is a new one for my English classes. Maybe a " Pack " of cows next ha ha ha

I'm on the 11th floor in Chonburi. Felt nothing. I did notice a lot of barking last night though and also, and unusually, a loud miaowing cat, I kid you not. You'd need to ask the cat if it was related to seismic activity though.

Hi Brahm,

Google "Missoula Floods" and/or check the Wikipedia Page I watched a programme on Discovery (or maybe History Channel) about this - fascinating! This was caused by a 'natural' glacial ice dam but surely the effects from a 'man made' dam bursting might not be too dissimilar. Certainly 'food for thought'!!

Yes, and? A tremor like that would have zero effect on an installation. There's no faults anywhere near this country able to generate a ground-splitting 8-9 like those Japan/Indo get. People need to gen-up rather than be alarmist.

Over 25 killed in Myanmar quake: officials

by Hla Hla Htay

YANGON, March 25, 2011 (AFP) - At least 25 people were killed and dozens of buildings destroyed when a strong earthquake struck Myanmar near the Thai border, officials from both countries said Friday.

Tremors were felt as far away as Bangkok, almost 800 kilometres (500 miles) from the epicentre, Hanoi and parts of China during the earthquake on Thursday, which the US Geological Survey (USGS) measured at magnitude 6.8.

A Myanmar official warned that there could be "many more casualties" in the town of Tarlay, close to the epicentre, as he confirmed 10 men, a boy and 13 women had been killed when the quake struck.

"Five monasteries and 35 buildings collapsed in the town. Those people were killed when the buildings collapsed," said the official, who declined to be named.

Twenty people were injured in Tarlay in the district of Tachileik, and the official said the main road into the area was closed after being damaged in the quake.

Just across the border from Tachileik, Thai authorities said a 52-year-old woman was killed in Mae Sai district after a wall of her house collapsed.

Terrified residents across the region fled their homes, tall buildings swayed and hospitals and schools were evacuated during the tremors.

The quake struck 90 kilometres (60 miles) north of Chiang Rai and 235 kilometres (150 miles) north-northeast of Chiang Mai, Thailand's second city and a popular tourist destination. Tall buildings shuddered in Bangkok during the tremor.

Its epicentre was close to the borders with Thailand and Laos and was just 10 kilometres (six miles) deep.

Thailand's meteorological department on Friday said it had registered six large aftershocks following the initial quake.

Chiang Rai governor Somchai Hatayatanti told AFP late Thursday that efforts were made to evacuate people from tall buildings and he had ordered all patients from Mae Sai District Hospital to be taken to Chiang Rai.

The shaking was felt throughout China's southwest province of Yunnan, according to state-run China National Radio, but no casualties or structural collapses had been reported as of Friday morning.

However, the earthquake reportedly caused cracks in some homes and schools in and around the rugged Xishuangbanna region which borders Myanmar, and fear of aftershocks forced many people in the area to spend the night outdoors.

Some residents of the Vietnamese capital Hanoi fled their homes in panic when the quake shook the city.

Nguyen Thi Hong Hanh, 36, who lives on the 10th floor of a highrise, said her husband noticed their pet fish shaking in their tank.

"We all rushed to the street. All the other people in the apartments also rushed out," she said.

Hanoi felt the tremor at about magnitude 5.0, according to Dinh Quoc Van, deputy head of the earthquake monitoring department.

The quake comes two weeks after Japan was hit by a monster earthquake, which unleashed a devastating tsunami that left around 27,000 people dead or missing and triggered a crisis at its Fukushima nuclear plant.

No tsunami warning was issued after the Myanmar quake as US seismologists said it was too far inland to generate a devastating wave in the Indian Ocean.

The USGS initially recorded the quake as magnitude 7.0, but later revised it down to 6.8.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-25

So lets start building a Reactor somewhere near the Border.

The Japan nuclear reactors handled the magnitude 9.0 earthquakes.

They didn't handle the tsunami though. It was only designed to handle a 7 metre tsunami, but got a 10 metre one. That washed the back up generators away, so they couldn't be used to pump water to cool the nuclear rods.

We don't yet know how much damage was done by the earthquake - prior to the tsunami. Could have cracked a lot of places. They've barely begun damage assessment there. The headline news kept hammering that it was the tsunami, which of course did a lot of damage, but that doesn't cancel out possible earthquake damage.

as for Plachon's concern about dams bursting. Yes, could happen, and it could be a domino effect. China won't let any petty concerns like that slow down it's frantic dam building plans, ...eight big ones at last count.

And they're damming the Salween also. China is to environmental concerns what Gaddafi is to democracy.

Edited by brahmburgers

Preliminary report from USGS

http://earthquake.us.../usc0002aes.php

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude7.0 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes) Date-Time

• Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 13:55:36 UTC
  • Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 08:25:36 PM at epicenter

Location20.898°N, 99.883°E Depth229.4 km (142.5 miles) set by location program RegionMYANMAR Distances

• 111 km (69 miles) N (3°) from Chiang Rai, Thailand
  • 155 km (96 miles) SW (219°) from Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China
  • 252 km (156 miles) NNE (22°) from Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • 434 km (270 miles) NW (319°) from VIENTIANE, Laos

Location UncertaintyError estimate not available ParametersNST= 14, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=104°,

M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=B Source

Event IDpt11083001

http://www.nationmul...a-30151761.html

hi was the quake felt in khon kaen my friend lives there but havent talked to them yet..bill

Hi Brahm,

Like I used to say to the little boys..."its just a scratch, don't cry over it". Just because other countries have very serious disasters doesn't mean you have to join the rat race. Be cautious but don't stop helping the people who really need the help.:o

Altho some in Chiang Mai make light of the earthuake felt there, most did not experience the severity of it as in Chiang Rai and areas near the Epicenter.

It is a whole new experience when you are confronted with the Loud Roar like a freight train combined with the house (local brick construction, not wood) and ground beneath you shifting violently and nearly falling down. Been thru many in California but none as severe as this.

Luckily damage was not as bad as it could have been given such a large magnatude quake.

6.7 Earthquake in Myanmar Leaves 1 Dead in Chiang Rai

UPDATE : 25 March 2011

The 6.7 earthquake in Myanmar last night was felt all throughout the North of Thailand.

One local in Chiang Rai Province was reportedly killed in her sleep by a roof collapse.

A powerful earthquake measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale rocked eastern Myanmar LAST NIGHT.

The impact was felt in many northern provinces of Thailand, as well as in Bangkok.

The earthquake was closely followed by an aftershock, which shook buildings in Chiang Mai Province.

Cracks have been found at two buildings of the Chiang Rai Prachanukror Hospital in Chiang Rai Province after the quake.

Patients were moved to the ground floor, as hospital staff and the authorities worked together to monitor the situation and ensure safety.

A 55 year old woman, identified as Hong Khamping, was killed by a roof collapse in Mae Sai District of Chiang Rai Province.

According to latese reports, the victim was sleeping at the time of the collapse.

Chiang Rai Governor Somchai Hatayatanti and Chettha Mosikrat, the acting director of the province's disaster prevention and relief center, have instructed officials to inspect damages, particularly in Chiang Saen District, where a number of ancient buildings are located.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-25

footer_n.gif

One dead in Thailand from strong quake in Myanmar

BANGKOK, March 25 – Thailand’s northern provinces of Chiang Rai and some parts of Bangkok were shaken when a strong earthquake struck Myanmar near the Thai border in the tri-border area, killing a Thai women in Chiang Rai.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) initially recorded the quake, which began at 8.25pm, as having a magnitude of 7.0, but later revised it downward to 6.8. A powerful aftershock was later measured at magnitude 5.4 with hundreds of tremours that followed the quake.

The USGS said the epicentre was close to Myanmar’s borders with Thailand and Laos and was 10 kilometres deep.

A 55-year-old woman, Hong Khamping, was killed when a concrete wall of her home in Mae Sai district in Chiang Rai collapsed on her.

The top of the 88-metre high brick ancient pagoda, Wat Phra That Chedi Luang the tallest pagoda in Chiang Rai, collapsed and a pagoda containing a Buddha relic at Wat Phra That Chom Kitti, both in Chiang Saen, has subsided and is tilted at some 30 degrees. The symbolic umbrella at the top of the pagoda was also damaged.

The Ministry of Public Health said that the residential flat for nurses at Mae Fah Luang Hospital in Chiang Rai cracked in the walls, while the five story Chiang Rai Prachanukroh building has cracks on the wall, but the structure remains unaffected.

The director of Bhumibol Dam, Boon-in Chuenchavalit, said the earthquakes did not affect the dam in Tak province as the epicentre was distant from the dam. He also gave assurances that the structure of the dam is strong and could resist a tremor of more than 8 of the Richter scale.

French news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP) said at least 25 people were killed and dozens of buildings destroyed from the quake, mainly in Myanmar.

Tremors spread as far away as Bangkok, almost 800 kilometres from the epicentre, Hanoi and parts of China during the earthquake on Thursday.

A Myanmar official warned that there could be "many more casualties" in the town of Tarlay, close to the epicentre, as he confirmed 11 men and 13 women had been killed when the quake struck. (MCOT online news, agencies)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-03-25

More than 50 dead in quake: Myanmar official

YANGON, March 25, 2011 (AFP) - At least 50 people were killed after a strong earthquake struck Myanmar near its border with Thailand, a Myanmar official said Friday.

Tremors were felt as far away as Bangkok, almost 800 kilometres (500 miles) from the epicentre, Hanoi and parts of China during the earthquake on Thursday, which the US Geological Survey (USGS) measured at magnitude 6.8.

"The death toll of the quake has increased to more than 50 in Tarlay and Mine Lin townships," said a Myanmar official, who declined to be named.

"Roads are also closed. According to the information that we have, more than 130 buildings collapsed because of the quake. There might be more casualties and damage."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-25

Thanks for posting this Doug Copp article...

yes indeed thanks !

I wonder who started the rumour about number 6

and on what this was based ? Even when i worked

in Los Angeles we had a few tremors and people

always did this.

Heading for the foot of the bed sounds more like it B)

If you see 8:25 AM , take a look at who is reporting that statement. There is one report from a Canadian News Media outlet, 8:25 AM there could be 8:25PM in Myanmar and 8:55 PM in Thailand.

Suspect not many realize that Myanmar is in a 30 minute different time zone than Thailand.

Im in Chong Nonsi area and im hearing an extreme amount of loud sirens, it cant possibly have anything to do with this can it? Anybody have an idea what is happening? Its got to be something big.

CNN showed a map which showed severe to extreme shakes near the epicentre in Myanmar. Mild shakes in Chiangmai. Judging from their map, I see no reason why anywhere in Bangkok would have suffered at all. Sirens more likely to be connected with a fire or road accident or someone important is driving home after dinner and needs the roads cleared for him/her.

We live in Bang Na area Bangkok. Didn't feel a thing.

jb1