Songkran - Are You Gonna Avoid It Or Join Them ?

bangkokcitylimits

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

you really need another category in your poll options. Really I fall into the 'I'd love to go abroad for Songkran but I'm working' category. There must be lots of others in the same boat

or what about my circumstance: I have to go abroad but I really wish I could stay for Songkran :D

Tingtong :wacko:

:)

I like Songkran. Not everything in everyplace during songkran is perfect but if you avoid the areas with high concentrations of tourists it tends to be fun!

The poster that stereotyped Thais as being 12 years old .... well ..... 1) It could be considered highly demeaning to Thai people ... and 2) It could be considered a good thing since some Thai people (and even some foreigners) are still young enough at heart to have some fun :)

I liked Songkran much better when we lived in a high rise near KSK and I could watch the fun from my balcony and the swimming pool deck. Now we live at ground level near Thapae Gate and it's awful. We don't really get to see the overall action like we did from the balcony and the tourists are much less respectful of a grim-faced older lady out at 10 am, loaded with her morning food shopping. The Thais are much better at reading that kind of body language and not throwing water. The one good thing about our new place is that we have a much larger refrigerator so I can stay totally indoors much longer without having to venture out for fresh produce.

Hubby, on the other hand, loves it and goes out every day during the official Songkran period. He's busy doing comparison shopping on super-soakers now.

Two years ago when I did not have a car,I was driving home from a supermarket on the super highway on my motorbike one day before the official "Songkran" was about to start.I had a lovely French stick of bread and some nice cheese for my lunch.Then two Thai morons came out of nowhere and thew a bucket of water over me.I nearly came off my motorbike and could have been run over by a car.I could have been killed or seriously hurt. Yes by lovely bread was ruined and some of the goods in my bag.Would those fun loving <deleted> paid for my inconvenience? I don't think so.

May I wish all you non-thinking fun lovers a happy Songkran and hope you all enjoy behaving like children.

amexpat.

re ... Wet cotton stretched over foam rubber just drives me wild

here ya go ... some songkran pics ... enjoy !

dave2.

going to england 7 april to 25 to avoid the songkran madness here in chiang mai and pattaya ... and next year ... and the next year ... and ........... : )

post-42592-0-33066500-1301191130_thumb.j

post-42592-0-26982300-1301191166_thumb.j

post-42592-0-97722300-1301191200_thumb.j

post-42592-0-02485600-1301191247_thumb.j

post-42592-0-81486600-1301191297_thumb.j

i hat the hole thing so stock up at lock myself in till the whole thing is over but the most annoying part is

that farangs have changed this little thai custom into what it is today so we only have ourself to blame

LOL

You hate it. You blame white foreigners (quite a minority!) etc ..

I don't hate it and in fact enjoy it. I live in Thailand so am pretty aware that foreigners change nothing here without Thai consent :)

edit -- I looked at the 5 photos in the post above yours and strangely didn't see any farang.

Edited by jdinasia

i mean its the hordes of pack packers that come to play water that have changed it

before they infected thailand it was not such a big mess lol

to be honest ill blame back packers for every thing and anything i just cant stand them i think its the only wash they get all year

i wish they would find another country to go or at the very least another city f...ing scum lol

i will join in for a few days as far as i am concerned a few days out of the 365 is not the end of the world and

my thai friends would not let me forget about it if i would stay home

everyone have fun and those staying home have fun on thai visa

:partytime2:

Heck yes I'm joining in!! Last year was my first one, and it was most awesome. To top it all off, it's my birthdayyyyy! Imagine having a party like that on your birthday. I'll be sending the dog to camp and staying in town for 3 days.

Happy New Year to Thailand, and happy birthday to ME biggrin.gif

Edited by SadieMBeagle

I think this 'little Thai custom' always had its crazy side as these pictures shpw. Although I think it goes on for too many days and that this is self defeating in many ways, I honestly think Songkran in CM is one of the world's great street festivals and deserves to be celebrated with gusto.

1_original.jpg

1_original.jpg

1_original.jpg

1_original.jpg

i mean its the hordes of pack packers that come to play water that have changed it

before they infected thailand it was not such a big mess lol

to be honest ill blame back packers for every thing and anything i just cant stand them i think its the only wash they get all year

i wish they would find another country to go or at the very least another city f...ing scum lol

I think the pics posted would suggest that you don't really know much about Songkran. Your bias against backpackers is noted and I can only imagine why they bother you ... but frankly you don't have much to complain about, now do you? Having struggled through your posts I can only say that I am amazed!