Notarized Letter From Us Embassy Stating Income

•A combination of the account deposite in the bank plus income (from pension or other source per yearX witha combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

does the amount in the bank need be seasoned?

i want use part pension as i just started getting one and part in the bank

Immigration documents required says money in the bank must be "seasoned" or in a thai bank for 3 months prior to applying for the visa or extension of visa.

They only say proof of income of 65,000 per month, or combination of the two sources of bank and income totaling 800,000 a year.

I would assume since they require bank deposits to be seasoned for 3 months, that the same bank requirement would apply using the combination method.

Edited by TacoBoy

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A combination of the account deposite in the bank plus income (from pension or other source per yearX witha combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

I just started receiving a pension so want to use this method,

does the money in the bank need be seasoned and if so is it 3 months or????

I am american

Seasoning has not been required for combination method as is clear in police order 777/2551. Only the 800k in bank method mentions in bank 3 months.

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months

at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant

should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60

days or

Immigration rules and documents for Long Stay applies to all Nations, and is not specific to one nationality or another.

All persons must meet the same critera to be considered for extension of stay or visa based on Retirement or Marriage or Relationship to a Thai national.

Edit:

Lopburi3 answered the seasoning requirment

Edited by TacoBoy

Immigration rules and documents for Long Stay applies to all Nations, and is not specific to one nationality or another.

All persons must meet the same critera to be considered for extension of stay or visa based on Retirement or Marriage or Relationship to a Thai national.

Edit:

Lopburi3 answered the seasoning requirment

For the 800K method, required seasoning is TWO months for the first extension, and THREE months for subsequent rules.

Yes the rules for long stay are not nationality specific, quite true. However, we are gathering evidence now that sometimes ENFORCEMENT POLICIES for asking for further proof for income letters may be directed more at Americans, for commonly understood reasons (US embassy policy).

Regarding the problems some folks have opening a bank account in their local areas? It was pointed out to me by a bank manager here where I live that if a foreigner walked in to his bank with a request to open an account and that foreigner did not have a WP he could not open an account. But in the next sentence he did say if a foreigner walked in that came from another region and already had an account from said bank that he would be compelled to open a new account in his bank as the customer already has a relationship with the bank.

So for folks that are having trouble getting an account in the local area maybe next trip to BKK open an account there which seems to be easy and when you return home then go to the local branch of the same bank and try to open a new account there,,,,,,,,possibly better luck now with an existing account at the bank in BKK. If this still proves unsuccessful you can always close the account in BKK next trip.

That then explains why we on retirement extensions had no problem opening Bangkok Bank accounts in Chiang Rai . . . we both already had accounts with Bangkok Bank in Bangkok (Surawong branch).

Edited by mojaco

A rule's a rule...at immigration, anyway. Not seemingly anywhere else in Thailand.

The rule is 40k baht income per month or 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage. Seems BKK immigration doesn't like the US Embassy notarized income affidavit anymore.

Where is a reliable, current site where the rules are defined, I wonder?

I thought the income rule (not the bank account rule) was the "new" new rule for marriage... i.e. you had to prove income and a Thai bank account balance >400k baht alone was no longer acceptable?

A rule's a rule...at immigration, anyway. Not seemingly anywhere else in Thailand.

The rule is 40k baht income per month or 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage. Seems BKK immigration doesn't like the US Embassy notarized income affidavit anymore.

I thought the income rule (not the bank account rule) was the "new" new rule for marriage... i.e. you had to prove income and a Thai bank account balance >400k baht alone was no longer acceptable?

I got a 1 year marrage extention and used only a embassy affidavit . I do have the bank statments to back that up but was never asked to show them .

Folks -

My free 30 day tourist visa is running out fast, end of this week. I have been visiting back and forth from US to Thailand for the past 4 years and now am semi-retiring to Thailand. I have business interests back in the states, but have arranged my affairs in such a way that I can do a couple of projects a year, maybe taking 2 - 3 months and will spend the rest of the time here in Korat. I have a couple of points that I would like some feedback on.

1. In the past I got a 7 day extension at the immigration office, but have recently read on another site that if one enters the country via an airport, as I did this past time, that one can get a 14 day extension for the same price 1,900B. Anyone know if this is true?
  2. I am planning on using the monthly income rule to qualify for the Retirement visa. I also am opening a bank account with Kasikorn here in Korat, and will seed it with a few hundred thousand baht, but do not want to dedicate 800K as I am leery of being able to pull it out of the country if I so wish. I want to apply for the Retirement visa within the next couple of weeks - does anyone know what kind of turnaround time is typical for first time applicants?
  3. Assuming I receive the Retirement Visa, are there going to be visa issues on my return after the extended absences from the LOS I anticipate taking as noted in opening paragraph?

Appreciate the feedback and also everyone's previous comments, it helps someone like me with less experience to sift through the chaff to find the grain of truth that is lying on the floor somewhere.

Regards,

lberk

I got a 1 year marrage extention and used only a embassy affidavit . I do have the bank statments to back that up but was never asked to show them .

When and where did you get the extension?

Thailand has had a long standing special Diplomatic and Investment ties with the USA since 1833. Doubtful they would discrimminate or treat American's any differnet.

The Marriage and Visa things are small potato's compared to long standing Diplomatic and Economic ties and Treaties.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

Folks -

My free 30 day tourist visa is running out fast, end of this week. I have been visiting back and forth from US to Thailand for the past 4 years and now am semi-retiring to Thailand. I have business interests back in the states, but have arranged my affairs in such a way that I can do a couple of projects a year, maybe taking 2 - 3 months and will spend the rest of the time here in Korat. I have a couple of points that I would like some feedback on.

1. In the past I got a 7 day extension at the immigration office, but have recently read on another site that if one enters the country via an airport, as I did this past time, that one can get a 14 day extension for the same price 1,900B. Anyone know if this is true?
  2. I am planning on using the monthly income rule to qualify for the Retirement visa. I also am opening a bank account with Kasikorn here in Korat, and will seed it with a few hundred thousand baht, but do not want to dedicate 800K as I am leery of being able to pull it out of the country if I so wish. I want to apply for the Retirement visa within the next couple of weeks - does anyone know what kind of turnaround time is typical for first time applicants?
  3. Assuming I receive the Retirement Visa, are there going to be visa issues on my return after the extended absences from the LOS I anticipate taking as noted in opening paragraph?

Appreciate the feedback and also everyone's previous comments, it helps someone like me with less experience to sift through the chaff to find the grain of truth that is lying on the floor somewhere.

Regards,

lberk

1. False.

2. You must have non immigrant entry to obtain retirement extension of stay - you have visa exempt entry. You would first have to convert at 2,000 baht and it seems you may have to wait 60 days to apply for the one year extension of stay currently.

3. No; as long as it is prior to expiration of the one year extension.

Perhaps you would be best served obtaining in your home country prior to next visit. It is called a long stay non immigrant O-A visa and does not require any money in Thailand.

I already posted(#52) a link to the english translation of the Police Order found in the Pinned Topics Section at the begining of this forum.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

Section 2.18 gives requirements for an extension based on marriage, 2.22 for an extension based on retirement.

I am not planning on returning to the states for a couple of months at the earliest. Should I go to the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Ventiane and get a tourist visa so I can continue to stay for 30 days and then make application for Long-stay with Immigration in BKK? I do not have some of the paperwork that appears to be required (i.e., Clean criminal record, and health certificate) of the home country. This will probably take some time. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Folks -

Regards,

lberk

1. False.

2. You must have non immigrant entry to obtain retirement extension of stay - you have visa exempt entry. You would first have to convert at 2,000 baht and it seems you may have to wait 60 days to apply for the one year extension of stay currently.

Perhaps you would be best served obtaining in your home country prior to next visit. It is called a long stay non immigrant O-A visa and does not require any money in Thailand.

A tourist visa would be for 60 days, and can be extended by another 30 days. So it would give you 90 days.

If you are over 50 and can show 800,000 in the bank (can be in the US) you could get a non-immigrant O visa. For the non-O visa no medical or police check is required. Upon entering Thailand you would get 90 days. and during the last 30 days you can apply for an extension of stay of 1 year if you cna show:

800,000 in the bank in Thailand for at least 2 months (3 months for every next extension)

OR

an income of 65,000 a month (cna be from abroad, must be certified by your embassy. In case of the US it will be an affadavid stating your income)

OR

a combination of yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand totaling 800,000.

A land border crossing gets 15 days visa exempt - an air arrival gets 30 days visa exempt - a tourist visa gets 60 days. A non immigrant O gets 90 days.

If you exit Thailand it would be best to get the non immigrant O visa as you can go directly to extension of stay after 60 days using that. There is no requirement for medical of police report for extension of stay. Just the financial requirement and a non immigrant visa entry.

You could visit immigration today if you have the money in account and ask if they can do process without your leaving (normally at least a week or two remaining on current stay is required). If not make a visa run later in the week. Take proof of finances with you to Embassy and try to get a single entry non immigrant O visa for return on basis you plan to apply for extension of stay for retirement.

Folks -

Regards,

lberk

1. False.

I will not be returning to the States for at least a couple of months. The issue is what to do in the interim. I have reviewed the Kingdom's immigration requirements re: documentation and am concerned about being able to obtain the no criminal record report and the clean health report on a timely basis. Any suggestions on how best to proceed? Does it make sense to go to Vientiane and get a tourist visa from Thai Embassy there which would give me some more time to get documents?

Appreciate any and all help.

As said in my above post (with typo) there is no such requirement for medical/police report when making one year extension of stay in Thailand.

Thanks - sorry for the double post, connection not the greatest here.

When I opened my KBank account in Bangkok at the Nana Branch they were reluantant at first because I only had a Non-O visa I asked what I needed and he said WP or local address but not hotel. I told him no problem I have local address. They opened the account on the spot. Even in Bangkok it is not a sure thing.

In Feb. letter from Embassy was sufficient for retirement extension at the Bangkok office..

I often read with intrest the many post here about bad service at immigration and about good service. If the poster gets his visa or extension of stay they are gushing with praise if no extension of stay usually the officer was rude and more attentive to other things. lets not forget their just people doing a job with a boss looking over their shoulder and they each and everyone have good days and bad days. There is no guarantee you will get good service or even bad.

My dealings with immigration have always been an ok experience showed up with what they want and walked out with what I came for no more no less.

I don't have a dog in this fight since I get my visa via the O-A Long Stay route in my home country every two years but

I can't help but notice the once again mentioned problems with foreigners and bank accounts

Why isn't it good enough to show your bank, wherever it is, that Thai Immigration requires you to have a Thai Bank account for Visa purposes and end this folly of looking for a "friendly" bank to open an account ?

As said in my above post (with typo) there is no such requirement for medical/police report when making one year extension of stay in Thailand.

Mario2008 and Lopburi3

Sorry to be a PITA about the question re: criminal record background check and medical certificate, but have seen instances in this country where the bureaucracy reaches Byzantium proportions. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on its website, and at this link: http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2493 states in part, the following:

Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

2. Required Documents

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission).

Are the two of you stating that your experience and knowledge is such that Immigration ignored this section, or that this is an incorrect statement being made on the MFA's website? Not trying to nitpick here, just trying to be prepared, and if I am misinterpreting this section please feel free to disabuse me of my errant ways.

Regards,

lberk

Edited by lberk

The MFA has nothing to do with Immigration and laws within Thailand. That quote you made is for obtaining a long stay visa from an Embassy/Consulate. In Thailand you obtain a one year extension of stay from Immigration for retirement and the rules are contained in Police Order 777/2551 which is linked from useful information at top of forum and will easily come up on a Google search.

Mario2008 and Lopburi3

Sorry to be a PITA about the question re: criminal record background check and medical certificate, but have seen instances in this country where the bureaucracy reaches Byzantium proportions. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on its website, and at this link: http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2493 states in part, the following:

Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

2. Required Documents

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant's diplomatic or consular mission).

Are the two of you stating that your experience and knowledge is such that Immigration ignored this section, or that this is an incorrect statement being made on the MFA's website? Not trying to nitpick here, just trying to be prepared, and if I am misinterpreting this section please feel free to disabuse me of my errant ways.

Regards,

lberk

Sorry for hijacking the answer Iberk, but I've just done the O visa extension for retirement procedure, so I do understand it, a little.

You are confusing an O-A visa with an O visa extension on the grounds of retirement. The first ( O-A) you can only get in your home country and indeed needs criminal record and health certificate.

The second, which you are considering doing, is done within Thailand and does not need any of these documents. Think of it like this: you are going to immigration with an existing 90 day non Imm O and saying to them, look this visa says I can stay for, say, one more month, can you extend this same visa so it allows me to stay another year? I'm asking for this on the grounds of retirement, ie I'm over 50, had 800000B in the bank for 2 months or 65000B a month income.

If they say yes, a year later you go back again and say , look, this 90-day visa you extended for me for a year last year, can you extend it again? Same grounds, same requirements (edit: actually not quite the same-the second year the 800000B has to have been seasoned for 3 months before application). You are always just extending the first visa you got: you are never getting a new one.

Edited by partington

The MFA has nothing to do with Immigration and laws within Thailand. That quote you made is for obtaining a long stay visa from an Embassy/Consulate. In Thailand you obtain a one year extension of stay from Immigration for retirement and the rules are contained in Police Order 777/2551 which is linked from useful information at top of forum and will easily come up on a Google search.

Guess my confusion is that Police Order 777/2551 sec.2.22 In the case of a retiree: First item states: (1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM). Help me understand what is associated with that process, and please believe me that I am sorry if I seem to be dense about this whole matter.

NEVER MIND! I found the information in another section of ThaiVisa - Thanks to everyone.

Edited by lberk

Thailand has had a long standing special Diplomatic and Investment ties with the USA since 1833. Doubtful they would discrimminate or treat American's any differnet.

The Marriage and Visa things are small potato's compared to long standing Diplomatic and Economic ties and Treaties.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't see this issue as discrimination. If they do change to this new enforcement policy, it is based on the proof different embassies require to grant income letters. That has nothing to do with harassing based on nationality, rather it is about variant embassy policies. If the French did it like the Americans, one would assume eventually immigration would learn that and add French to the list of countries to apply to the extra proof needed policy. I am still not asserting this is a real enforcement policy change and if so, what the office range is. Just find this talk of "discrimination" way off base. Immigration already had the legal right and did sometimes use their power to ask for further information whenever they liked.

Edited by Jingthing