Like the rest of you, I guess, I managed to make it to The Games this afternoon.

Thailand beat Singapore to lift 7th place, while in the Plate Final Malaysia succumbed to the Yellow Peril of The People's Republic of China (perhaps Yellow Peril is not appropriate there, since Malaysia play in yellow and PRC in Red...)

Hong Kong overcame next year's IRB Tour core team, Japan, to win for the second leg in succession; will Hong Kong follow Japan into the big time on the IRB tour?

Next is the incheon asian games, and then the third leg of the Asian Sevens, in China

SC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just sat down after a trip wild boar hunting to watch Russia v Scotland for 3rd place in the fourth and final leg of the European Grand Prix Sevens in Bucharest.

Russia take an early lead, and then concede a knock-on from the following kick-off. Russia have big, powerful runners, causing all sorts of problems in the sandy pitch more suited to camel racing - like Tannadice.

Scotland playing their passing, off-loading game to build a million phases until eventually, a minute after the half-time hooter, they level the scores with a break that was bound to come sooner or later.

Russia attacking the Scotland line, making ground, tackled a few metres out, and the referee blows for a baffling penalty, and Scotland can clear their lines, but Scotland lose the ball in the middle of the field...

Russia break, but Scotland win the ball in the tackle, only to be penalised and Russia score to take a 12 - 7 lead, and then kick the kick-off into the empty terraces, and Scotland break and equalise, but the defenders are able to force Lewis Young into the corner - but to no avail, and Scott White lands the conversion to take a 2 point lead as the hooter sounds.

Scotland are penalised, Russia break, they're forced to the touch line but keep the ball alive, and Colin Gregor (?) intercepts and allows himself to be bundled into touch. Scotland 14 - 12 Russia. But the main event for Russia will be their repechage play-off match in just under a week- the first of a two-leg series for the final place at Rugby World Cup 2015, Engiand

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

But back to the Arc de Triomphe Stadium in Bucharest, for the Final - Spain v France.

While they're playing the anthems, a brief round-up from some earlier matches - Wales lost to Belgium in the Plate Final, while for England, the tournament was over one match earlier, when they lost to Germany for seventh place.

But now, Spain are ready to kick off, Allez les Bleues! But Spain take an early lead with a try in the corner.

France are pinned back in their 22, despite a scrum; they take a quick penalty, but still cannot find space - but now they can, only to knock on as they get over the half way line.

And a kick over the top is gathered off the fingertips by Stephen Parez to score under the posts. Spain 12 - 0 France. Ou est les Bleues?

Les voilas! A penalty in their own 22, a kick over the top, the kicker dives on his own ball and passes to the support runner who scores under the posts. Spain attacking from the kickoff, into the French 22, and they win a scrum. A penalty from the scrum, the ball spins from one side to the other, and a third try in the corner. There's the hooter for half time. Spain 17 - 7 France.

France attack from the kickoff, but the Spanish defend aggressively, forcing a penalty. Spain attack, but are forced over the sideline five metres from the French line; France win the lineout, break, slice through the Spanish defence and score under the posts, to narrow the gap to three points. Spain fumble the ball, but it had come off a French hand earlier, so Spain win the penalty, but they are forced back into their 22. But a penalty at the ruck sees Spain clear to the half way line.

Spain playing in blue, by the way, Les Bleues in white.

France break; Penalty. Not ten yards, a slicing, side-stepping attack and seven points for a try under the posts to give France the lead; they gather the kickoff, but knock on, and Spain get the last play to score and win the Cup from the scrum. There's the hooter. Penalty to Spain, and they're into French territory but France win a penalty and the ball is kicked into the churchyard, and France win their second tournament of the Grand Prix.

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 6 months later...

Anybody else enjoying the HK Sevens from the comfort of their own home thanks to the magic of the internet?

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/live-blog/15

I decided I'd not go to Caroline Hill Road, as my wallet and my liver could not afford it, and I didn't want to go without them.

So as usual I am trying to recreate the atmosphere at home. I've got a crate of Tigers in the fridge, later tonight I'm going to flush my wallet down the toilet, and then self-administer copious quantities of degaussing fluid.

In the first games of Friday night, England scrape past Wales, and France put Japan to the sword

SC

Fiji and New Zealand face off in a classic final in Hong Kong, with Rasta Rasivenghe in charge.

South Africa beat Samoa for third,

Australia beat USA for the Plate,

Scotland beat France for the Bowl

and Japan lost out to Kenya in the Shield Final.

Russia proved too strong or Zimbabwe and won in the last ten seconds to qualify for next year's World Series

Another classic in Hong Kong, and I've not lost my wallet, or my trousers, because I stayed at home to watch it on the internet

Hawaythair, Cowboy, Huv ye bin watchin' the Sivens?

Why do you ask, Imam?

Ye've come intae Sid's in yer Boxers

I thought it was best to get in the spirit....

SC

Edit: Factual errors corrected...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Japan heading for their first Cup Quarter-final, despite trailing to France...

but can they reverse a 17 - 14 to top their pool and finish in the top half of the Cup?

No, so they face Fiji in the first Cup game tomorrow at 0920 THAI

What a great tournament! Japan lose in the Plate Semis to Scotland, but chase down Portugal, Shield winners over Argentina, keeping their hopes of staying in the competition next year alive.

Scotland fumbled the ball too often defending against New Zealand, who won the Plate 21-14, while USA beat Australia in the Bowl Final.

Canada came close to a second upset after beating New Zealand in the Cup QFs, but lost narrowly to Fiji who claimed third place, while England battled to Cup victory over South Africa.

Next stop, Scotstoun in Glasgow on the weekend of ninth-tenth May, but I guess most of you guys will be down here at MBPJ Stadium for the start of the Asian Division Two XVs tournament

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I wouldn't normally say this, but "Come on you England, Come on you Fiji!"

Cup Final in Dubai, but the outstanding stars of the tournament USA beat NZ in the Group Stage, beat South Africa in the Cup Quarter Finals, and beat New Zealand again in the 3rd / 4th play-off - has the world gone mad?

SC

• 5 months later...

CHAMPIONES! CHAMPIONES!

Scotland win their first ever Cup Final in Twickenham to establish a 100% record at the highest level of international Sevens.

Runners up South Africa can't catch Series Winners Fiji, while Scotland overcome England while France go out in the Quarter Finals, and Scotland creep past Les Gallois in the World Sevens Rankings
SCOTLAND! SCOTLAND!

I'm still of the opinion that England, as the highest ranking home team, should be representing us at the Olympics. Why would we put forward a bastard team, just because we could? I'd rather see a British team there, than a team of Brits.

SC

• 6 months later...

Well, our team of Brits did as well as could be expected at the Olympics.

The real sevens has started now, with Commonwealth Champions South Africa running out winners in Dubai.  Cape Town next, and Scotland should be optimistic about their chances of getting through to the Cup again after a good showing in Dubai.  

SC

• 5 months later...

And Scotland win their second ever Cup Final to retain the Twickenham Sevens,  In the last two weeks they've beaten the top team in the world, the second team, third, fourth and fifth, including the World Champions, Olympic Champions, Commonwealth Champions and their hosts a tremendous end to their season

SC