"No Death Zone" Sign During Thailand's Songkran Festival

Lite Beer

"No Death Zone" sign warns commuters during Songkran Festival

By NUPPOL SUVANSOMBUT.

BANGKOK, 27 March 2011 (NNT)-The highway police will put up a road sign carrying a statement in Thai “No Death Zone” on Asia-Phahonyothin roads in a bid to reduce the number of death tolls during Songkran Festival this year.

Superintendent Pol Colonel Direk Plangdee of the Highway Police Division1 has expressed his concerns over road safety and has therefore instructed related agencies to erect large road signs to remind commuters passing through Ayuttaya province to take precautions when driving.

Among several signs erected along Asia Road in Bang-Pa-In District, one that catches the attention the most is in Chiang Rak Sub-District where it warns drivers with the “No Death Zone”. According to Pol Col Direk, the sign is located near the intersection where several roads going to all parts of Thailand meet. Telephone numbers and highway police contact details are also being displayed on the sign in case of emergency.

Commuters have reportedly said their well-being has been highly regarded by the police this year as billboards and road signs encouraging safety can be seen in many places.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-27 footer_n.gif

Will warning signs reduce the number of accidents? Would putting wrecked cars at the side of the road be a better message?

There are always wrecked cars at the side of the road. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

Increased patrolling, breathalyzers, and police roadblocks where the police actually check people instead of watching tv might be more effective than a sign. Then again, maybe not.

Increased patrolling, breathalyzers, and police roadblocks where the police actually check people instead of watching tv might be more effective than a sign. Then again, maybe not.

Probably not as the people don't fear any punishment as they can pay their way out of trouble.

reminds of signs put last year at the central bangkok on the order of the prime minister "death zone", "life bullet zone" and similar.

did it prevent death or people willing to do so? No.

Signs do not work.

putting a real, or even a good picture of a policeman (like they do in japan), does the job - even giving him a bribe do cost

Yup, that'll work.  We will have zero road kills this year, guaranteed.

Or maybe, how about doing something radical... ( wait for it... )  like the police getting off their backsides and actually doing their job.

In our town are 90 police in total, if you see 6 in one day you would be lucky. But on no helmet days 20 would be seen, population 40,000. Get a police house in every village if you want action, then you can start to take care.

Will warning signs reduce the number of accidents? Would putting wrecked cars at the side of the road be a better message?

Guess you don't have to do that. It will happen from alone........I meant the wrecked cars....:jap:

In our town are 90 police in total, if you see 6 in one day you would be lucky. But on no helmet days 20 would be seen, population 40,000. Get a police house in every village if you want action, then you can start to take care.

Your town, right? A police house in every village? Please reduce or increase your medication Sir. :jap:

I do not know about highways or motorways but try riding in pattaya during that time, no shortage of morons aiming for the eyes.

In the past 3 years have seen over 100 accident just because of that

Perhaps slapping huge fines of like 5000+ per idiot spraying a rider may get them thinking and save some lives in the process.

In Cambodia the "water play" is totally outlawed on the roads, only in designated areas.

Drink driving has always been a problem i believe and no matter what signs or what wreckage they put up, it does not change

People simply do not understand basic causality. People think that not wearing a helmet, driving too fast, or driving drunk do not have anything to do with whether or not a person dies in a traffic accident.That's the problem - not the lack of a sign that says "Do not die!"

Your town, right? A police house in every village? Please reduce or increase your medication Sir. :jap:

30 villages, each with a policeman, drug watch, vehicle watch, gang watch, individual/parent watch. !! did I say something wrong, was not my suggestion realistic ??.....for being SANE I will have more blue label.

Nope............

these dumb ass** ain't care.......

Live and let's die

LOS is really weird ....

Edited by dunkin2012

I'm starting to wonder if this is like an end of the month show me what you've done kind of thing. A "no death zone" sign is going to do what? Is this after the success of the "no mafia zone" and the "no loan shark zone" and of course the ever so brilliant "no parking zone" sign. I think I'll have a thai friend submit a few on my behalf, the "silly looking cop statue zone", "hospital, no beeping horns zone", "intersection with traffic light zone" "200 baht zone ahead"

Yup, that'll work. We will have zero road kills this year, guaranteed.

Or maybe, how about doing something radical... ( wait for it... ) like the police getting off their backsides and actually doing their job.

What? What? Are You Serious? I know... maybe they can have a "No Death Zone" crackdown. Crackdowns always works.. :)

Would putting wrecked cars at the side of the road be a better message?

There are always wrecked cars at the side of the road.

They should move the wrecks into the MIDDLE of the road. That might not influence anyone's decision to drink and drive but it would surely slow them down!

Average Thia no driving sense Drunk Thia even less. All the millions a year we spend in the UK and all we needed to do was put up a sign.

I don't go down town that week and only ride my motorbike if needed. Let them keep killing themselves.

on my Honda blackbird two years ago saw them throwing water to the left. Shoulder checked the right to get away from them. A bart bus screamed up and shut me down. Try keeping up 750lbs plus two up when you've just been shocked WITH LOADS OF ICE COLD WATER. Thank god I had my visor down. You don't know if its warm water or cold.They really need to stop the ice water its too dangerous.

Edited by fazbender