Flooring

Chainat1

Hi all

I’m really stuck on what to do with the flooring in my house. At the moment I have tiles and granite tiles in the living room.

I hate the tiles but like the granite. My wife likes the tiles but hates the granite, she says it's hard to clean and never looks like it is clean :o

So now I’m thinking of wooden flooring through out, does anyone have this? Good, bad?

Then I thought carpet, does anybody have carpet? is it to warm?

Some feedback would be really appreciated.

C1

Assuming that you have no friendly illegal immigrant termites squatting nearby then go with wood.

Agree carpets look terrible in anywhere less that a 5 star fully a/c Hotel and tiles and granit although can be "cool" but unless they are peng well laid ....u2u... :D

If K.wifey had her way everything would be stainless steel :o

Agreed, carpets get tatty, are full of dust and harbour creepy crawlies.

We have tiles downstairs and wood upstairs.

If you get quality wood and a good chippie you won't have any problems. Our floors still look great after five years.

There is another thraed about wooden floors and it has some piccies.

Take a look at Chownah's flooring .

I've got tile downstairs and wood upstairs.

Only problem with the wood is the scratches in the varnish and a slight bit of peeling here and there.

The wooden tiled stairs have only a slight cover of varnish on them that prevents them from being too slippery underfoot.

:o

Yeah, forget carpet. Not good for people with breathing problems as they harbour billions of dust mites and they stink when left for a seemingly short time out here...must be the humidity getting into them. A nice quality, teak floor would look the ticket if you've got the bread :o

Yeah, forget carpet. Not good for people with breathing problems as they harbour billions of dust mites and they stink when left for a seemingly short time out here...must be the humidity getting into them. A nice quality, teak floor would look the ticket if you've got the bread :o

How much am I looking at for Teak Flooring ? and where would I find it ?

Hi all

I’m really stuck on what to do with the flooring in my house. At the moment I have tiles and granite tiles in the living room.

I hate the tiles but like the granite. My wife likes the tiles but hates the granite, she says it's hard to clean and never looks like it is clean  :o

So now I’m thinking of wooden flooring through out, does anyone have this? Good, bad?

Then I thought carpet, does anybody have carpet? is it to warm?

C1

carpet is not reconised as practical due to the climate. rugs are great thrown over other materials.

Laminate flooring is becoming popular as opposed wooden "Parquet" flooring (which tends to have termites living in it before you even lay it) Parquet is not always recommended for ground floor applications.

I would say grayish marble is good. Have it at my BKK home, never looks dirty, appropriate for the climate.

Around the Songkran time gf sleeps right on it, our baby loves rolling naked on the cool floor.

In her house, she's got tiles.

Carrpet never mentioned nor considered.

NB: in the Medditterranean, houses and apartments are mostly with marble floors.

In my home all the main floors are Teak, Bathrooms, kitchen and maids room tiles. Entry granite and all bedrooms are carpeted. The carpert is more of a commercial grade the type you find in banks and such. I never enjoyed the tile thing in a bed room. Just a word from wise, if you do go carpet buy a good uprite (hoover type) vacume, I have gone thru 3 of the little drag around type they are all crap for carpet.Also if you go Teak make sure you get all the paperwork for it and keep it. If you don't have proof where you got it you could get fined.

Granite all the way. We have half a dozen Thai style houses that we rent out, that are all teak, floors, walls, etc.... they say termites don't eat teak, ..... well I can assure you that if the teak is old enough and the sap is fairly dried out, YES they can and do eat it.

:o

I really like carpeting and had it put in. Carpeting looks nice, feels nice, absorbs sound, and just overall gives a room a nice ambience compared to hard floors to me. But I have to agree with the sentiments here--I am afraid carpeting is quite unsuitable and would seriously doubt I would do it in the future. The problems are costs 700 baht/sqm ++ for wall to wall, the quality is horrid even if getting very dense stuff (tends to lay over and pull out), the smell is a problem from about day three onwards (not sure what causes it, but they stink), and thorough cleaning costs 80 baht/sqm ++. As someone mentioned, the suction type vacuum cleaners are not suitable for carpet. You must get an expensive model with a beater brush for basic cleaning. While in farangland you can just install a carpet and vacuum it once in a while and you're fine. I am afraid Thailand is hardly the same and I don't even have bugs to contend with. Reading about the issues with wood floors looks like stone of some type might be the ideal.

I really like carpeting and had it put in. Carpeting looks nice, feels nice, absorbs sound, and just overall gives a room a nice ambience compared to hard floors to me. But I have to agree with the sentiments here--I am afraid carpeting is quite unsuitable and would seriously doubt I would do it in the future. The problems are costs 700 baht/sqm ++ for wall to wall, the quality is horrid even if getting very dense stuff (tends to lay over and pull out), the smell is a problem from about day three onwards (not sure what causes it, but they stink), and thorough cleaning costs 80 baht/sqm ++. As someone mentioned, the suction type vacuum cleaners are not suitable for carpet. You must get an expensive model with a beater brush for basic cleaning. While in farangland you can just install a carpet and vacuum it once in a while and you're fine. I am afraid Thailand is hardly the same and I don't even have bugs to contend with. Reading about the issues with wood floors looks like stone of some type might be the ideal.

Thanks for that Coder, I think carpets off the list.

I quite fancied carpet in the new house too but I'm happy to have read this thread before following through. How do the serviced apartments and hotels manage to keep the carpet looking plush and free from odour though? Regular professional cleaning or replacement?

If no carpet I think some big rugs would soften the room instead. At least they're easier to clean and replace if they get dirty quickly.

How do the serviced apartments and hotels manage to keep the carpet looking plush and free from odour though?  Regular professional cleaning or replacement?

I suspect

a] Contract quality to begin with

b] Aircon on nearly all the time - lower humidity as well as temperature

c] Daily vacuuming & regular pro cleaning

Edited by Steve2UK

• 2 weeks later...

I like Terrazzo. It's prettier than concrete and will last forever (longer than any of the crummy tile-jobs I've seen). I don't know who does it but I've seen it in some of the big banks like maybe Bangkok Bank?

For more info:

http://images.google.co.th/images?q=terrazzo

http://www.ntma.com/

Edited by fxm88

Wood is defnitely great, just make you sure get good quslity one. You must be willing to pay a very high price for it and it won't give you any problems. We have wooden flooring in our house and it's alwas looking great, just once in a few years we call carpenters to do some waxing (or someting like that) to the flooring for maintenance purposes and it looks great. I have carpet in my room right now, but I'd change it to something else next time :o Too much dust I think..and ofcourse creepy crawlies can come up if you don't maintain it properly.

NEver been a fan of marble, can get too cold.