What To Plant Between Coconuts?

Hi All.

I haven't turned a sod since I was a kid but have been reading this forum with growing interest. Thanks to all contributors.

To get me started, the missus has about 4.5 rai with coconut palms planted in a six metre grid. They are from 2 to 10 years old.

The bigger trees leaves touch and I guess they all will eventually - if I don't kill them first!

Thing is, I think, they are not producing much and I reckon the petrol for the strimmer cost more than the coconuts bring in.

Does anybody have any ideas what a thick, lazy type like me could plant {and almost forget} in between the 'nuts with the aim of helping the soil, maybe displacing some weeds and possibly getting something edible even.

Apart from rain, as it is now, water would have to be hand carried in.

BIL tried to grow cassava their a few years ago but didn't grow too well.

Thanks,

dogleg

edit: near Huay Yai, Chonburi.

Edited by dogleg

My MIL grows lemongrass but its not going to keep the weeds down. If you are thinking of something that makes a good spreading groundcover perhaps the peanut grass, you can't eat it but as its a legume it will help, its hardy and its a creeper.

http://www.examiner.com/gardening-in-tampa-bay/consider-perennial-peanut-when-replacing-your-lawn-with-groundcover

• 1 month later...

I've seen carpets of pineapples grown between coconuts. They are thick enough to keep out the weeds, however planting and harvesting would be quite a bit of work.

You could also consider bamboo, which grows well in semi shade, this is very low maintenance, however not sure how it would go if the soil is really sandy.

Google for "Organic Fruit and Vegetables from the Tropics". This pdf has good information on this. Below is an excerpt. There is much more.

Coconut soil and weed management

Legumes used for ground-coverage, such as e.g. Pueraria

phaseoloides, Glycine wightii, Arachi Pintoi, Desmodium

ovalifolium, Mimosa invisa, Calopogonium muconoides

or Centrosema pubescens: these plants rapidly develop

a dense layer of foliage, and can be mulched. The thick

layer of mulching material, along with the shade provided

by the crop itself (especially by pueraria), is an effective

way of controlling weed growth by suppressing it.

Just back from the UK. Thanks all for the great ideas and info.

Still looking for the peanut grass seeds/plants locally, but will probably make a start with some banana plants and pineapples and some beans - as soon as I get over the dam_n 'flu and can hack my way into the 'plantation'!

Cheers!