Where'S The Best Art Store In Chiang Mai

luther

Yes there is, it's on Rajawithi Road, next door to the UnIrish Pub

Don't know why people rave about this place. It's in a good spot and in a decent sized building, but the art supplies seem to be jammed in on the top floor (where it's hot), and the assistants I spoke to (Thai and English) were not helpful and didn't know their stuff. Perhaps I caught them on an off day or the clever one was out. Always found the art section of B2S (4th floor Airport Plaza) decent enough. May be lacking in canvases and prices are a bit steep, but they actually had a glaze I was looking for which the Ratwithi one didn't or anything close.

Yes there is, it's on Rajawithi Road, next door to the UnIrish Pub

Don't know why people rave about this place. It's in a good spot and in a decent sized building, but the art supplies seem to be jammed in on the top floor (where it's hot), and the assistants I spoke to (Thai and English) were not helpful and didn't know their stuff. Perhaps I caught them on an off day or the clever one was out. Always found the art section of B2S (4th floor Airport Plaza) decent enough. May be lacking in canvases and prices are a bit steep, but they actually had a glaze I was looking for which the Ratwithi one didn't or anything close.

I have to agree. I've never really been happy with that store. It's okay for general stuff but no good for fine quality watercolour paper. I had to bring mine from Canada, along with my paints. It's like a lot of things in Thailand, there are lots of cheap immitations but very little of good quality. With all the talented artists I see in Chiang Mai I would have expected better. Bangkok is just TOO BIG to find anything unless you know the secret spots.

Ian

There is a little one on the moat road just before the turning for Ratpakhinai Road on the way to Chang Puek gate.

It sells everything and is much cheaper than the other big stores.

We buy all our stuff from there also to take back to the UK cause brushes are so expensive back home!

Found this list of shops here:

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2796

Now which one might have the best selection of oil paints (Winsor & Newton / Winton) and brushes?

Supply Shops

B2S

Kad Suan Kaew branch: 053 895 156-7

Central Plaza Chiang Mai Airport branch: 053 272 860

Chang Klan branch: 053 818 562

DK Book Centre

79/1 Kotchasan Road

Tel: 053 206 996-7

Likidsilp

1st Branch: 41/5 Sriphum Road

2nd Branch: 5 Rattanakosin Road

Tel: 053 249 249

Samud Lanna

1st Branch: 209/6 Chang Puek Road

2nd Branch: 30 Soi 7, Chang Puek Road

3nd Branch: 255/1 Suthep Road

Tel: 053 410 444

Suriwong Book Centre

54-54/1 Sridonchai Road

Tel: 053 281 052

Siriwong

581/7 Moo 3, Suthep Road

Tel: 053 223 904

Udomphol Book Store

20 Ratwitthi Road

Tel: 053 223 600

Office Depot

152/1 Pantip Plaza, floor 1st, Chang Klan Road

Tel: 053 283 300

• 11 months later...

I'm near to Chiang Mai and still looking. The Airport Plaza shop is Robinson's, too, I think, found some brushes and stuff, but they've never heard of masking fluid, no 1.5 inch hake brushes, only tube watercolors, no winsor newton stuf I don't think, pricey papers, don't think they have any Krylon spray coatings... no luck finding anywhere else and the directions of these places are a bit tough to follow as I'm 15 miles out and not a lot of time. Anyway, let's keep each other posted, or at least try.

There is a little one on the moat road just before the turning for Ratpakhinai Road on the way to Chang Puek gate.

It sells everything and is much cheaper than the other big stores.

We buy all our stuff from there also to take back to the UK cause brushes are so expensive back home!

If you get this, could you link to wikimapia here: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=18.7949503&lon=98.9873286&z=18&l=0&m=b

and then pan the screen until the + sign is directly over the spot?

Then copy the url with the new coordinates into the clipboard, paste into a new message, and reply to here? Or better yet, since I likely won't know it, send the URL directly to my email at [email protected]. You can also access my Facebook (message or friend),

http://facebook.com/cusanus

Thanks, partner. Include any more ideas or info.

Alan