Thailand To Hire 300 Native English-Speaking Teachers

george

Why get native English teachers other than from England ? I am all for teachers speaking English if they actually teach English rather than a derivative of the English language . American English is different , so is Philippine and no doubt different again from Australia . Its all about the accent as well , pronunciation of words . I wish the Thai's luck in what they are trying to do but to start with they need someone to guide the education authority in Thailand, from the English education department in England, then maybe there is a good chance the standard will improve, if of course the students are willing to learn.

I used to watch "The Weakest Link" hosted by Anne Hamilton (I think)......there were nine contestants to start with and they all generally had a different accent...very difficult sometimes to comprehend what they were saying...Drive 50 miles in the UK and there is a different accent.....think that blows your theory out the window, the door or what ever

..I once went out to dinner with five geordies...I wished I had stayed at home....could hardly understand a thing they were talking about...

Edited by Phuket Stan

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my daughters London school we went along to a parents evening. Had no problems understanding the Indian born physics teacher despite the fact he had only been in the UK 3 years. The History teacher with the strange accent that completely bewildered my wife however was another matter, in fact it left me struggling. As we walked away my wife asked my daughter what country he came from, the reply......."Newcastle Mum" :D

Why get native English teachers other than from England ? I am all for teachers speaking English if they actually teach English rather than a derivative of the English language . American English is different , so is Philippine and no doubt different again from Australia . Its all about the accent as well , pronunciation of words . I wish the Thai's luck in what they are trying to do but to start with they need someone to guide the education authority in Thailand, from the English education department in England, then maybe there is a good chance the standard will improve, if of course the students are willing to learn.

I used to watch "The Weakest Link" hosted by Anne Hamilton (I think)......there were nine contestants to start with and they all generally had a different accent...very difficult sometimes to comprehend what they were saying...Drive 50 miles in the UK and there is a different accent.....think that blows your theory out the window, the door or what ever

..I once went out to dinner with five geordies...I wished I had stayed at home....could hardly understand a thing they were talking about...

Phuketstan, we posted simultaneously but exactly the same thought. We'll have the Geordies down on us now !!!

The article just says that OBEC will 'seek a Bt350million budget to hire 300 native English-speaking teachers.' That doesn't mean they will get what they want. I find it hard to believe they would be willing to offer foreign teachers a salary this high when they are already hiring them for around 30k a month and this is causing jealously already from qualified Thai teachers who make about half that much. And I'd be shocked if they considered paying Filipinos a salary of 83k a month when they are lucky to get around 20k as it stands.

good.... and welcome ..to LOS

New folks

It is good news but the quoted salary of 9000 baht per month for Thai teachers is not correct. A Thai teacher starts on 8000 baht usually at age 21 and then every year receives an annual increment as well as extra salary bonuses. My head of English in a Government school is Thai and is paid 33,000 baht where as most of the teachers earn more than 20,000 baht plus a guaranteed half salary pension on retirement. I am amazed that so many people believe the Thai teachers sob stories of a very low salary. I think they are overpaid for the actual quality of teaching that they do. Less than 10 per cent of Thais can speak English despite having up to 12 years of English lessons, an absolute disgrace by any teacher's standards.

Let me remind you all that China is not improving their English. If you want to do business with them, you must learn Chinese. English a the thing of the past. We did business with the west, but it looks like business with the west will soon be devoured by the Chinese. Why do you think so many westerners have started to send their kids over to places like Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong. etc? What is the education minister thinking? Don't get me wrong. Finding quality English teachers is excellent. I've seen Italian English teachers (who couldn't even speak proper English) teaching in one of those language schools in BKK. It was so ridiculous. Hiring just about anyone off the streets just because they are 'farang'. With that aside, why is Chinese any less important?:ermm::ermm:

China is not improving its English? Why then is English a compulsory skill requirement to most of the quality universities in China? Why is the language taught in Chinese primary schools? Why have approximately 15-20% of the population made an effort to learn English, although Japanese is apparently the most popular foreign language.

Business in the west will not be devoured by the Chinese. Due to the EU and USA's paranoid protectionist policies it is near impossible. You do realize that the countries that you referenced all have different dialects of Chinese than mainland Chinese right? Its like comparing Haitian creole to French. I had to laugh at the Hong Kong reference. Cantonese speakers usually communicate with Mandarin speakers by pointing and pantomime.

Got news for you, most students in Thailand don't like your English accents. They prefer American accents because it's easier for them to understand. Ever heard a Thai speak with a British accent in Thailand? Rarely, I bet.

To be fair, Filipino's speak very good, clear English with American accent. Also having to learn English as a second language in my opinion gives teacher better perspective on things, because unlike native speakers, the ones who had to learn it may know some ins and outs as what is crystal clear to a native speaker is not so for others.

However India, i am having trouble understanding the thinking there.

All and i mean All Indian, English speaking people i ever come across (not born in English speaking country) have a really bad accent which makes it very hard to understand. The speech is not clear and very often very confusing.

It may not sound different to a non English speaking Thai, but i am sure will make a huge different for students trying to learn the language and pronunciation.

I am a filipina myself and I wanna thank you for the compliment... :)

SHORTAGE OF ENGLISH TEACHERS

Plan to hire native English-speaking teachers

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) will seek a Bt350million budget to hire 300 native English-speaking teachers for its primary and secondary schools to tackle the shortage of English teachers, a senior official said yesterday.

According to the proposal, the native speakers would each get about Bt1 million per year - a salary of Bt83,000 per month - compared to the Bt9,000 per month drawn by Thais teaching English.

Obec chief Chinaphat Phumirat said the foreign teachers would be from the United States, Canada, England, Australia, New Zealand, India and the Philippines.

First comes this announcment, now come the hoops, rules and so on. Though, according to the headlines, it seems good. But, will the teacher get 83,000B per month or Agencies get 50 or 60% and give the teachers 30B.

you might wanna try speaking to me Sir.. just so you would know how Filipinos speak english... :)

Indian and Phillapinos ? You ever noticed the heavy , over-riding accents these people have ? They are being considered to teach English , let the people pray it is understandable spoken English .

Got news for you, most students in Thailand don't like your English accents. They prefer American accents because it's easier for them to understand.

Got news for you.

How often do you see Thai's wearing USA t-shirts, or the girls with the big Stars ans Stripes on the handbags........Take a good look around. Its pretty much all Union Jacks.................baby.

And here is something else...........considering the sheer size of the USA compared to the UK...........how come there are far more Brit curriculum schools throughout the world compared to the Yanks?

Get 'Googling' .......Bro.

:)

Edited by Phatcharanan

you're soooo right! i'm with you 100% :)

Got news for you, most students in Thailand don't like your English accents. They prefer American accents because it's easier for them to understand. Ever heard a Thai speak with a British accent in Thailand? Rarely, I bet.

I've heard quite a few Thais speak with poor English accents (learned in Thailand). I think the international standard Americanized version would be more preferable. But I do admit my bias. If I was learning Portuguese unless I wanted to live in Portugal I would choose Brazilian Portuguese.

First comes this announcment, now come the hoops, rules and so on. Though, according to the headlines, it seems good. But, will the teacher get 83,000B per month or Agencies get 50 or 60% and give the teachers 30B.

I somehow seriously doubt (if the salary figures are correct) that these will be offered to 'Teflers'. No offence intended.

More likely to be 'home-country' certified teachers.

Wow, 83,000 baht is a big salary increase.

Looks like you guys are going to be have big smiles of your faces. Congrats.

Oh really ? Unless I misread the OP they are going to "hire" 300 native speakers, didn't say anything about raising the salary of the existing teachers. :hit-the-fan:

Got news for you, most students in Thailand don't like your English accents. They prefer American accents because it's easier for them to understand.

Got news for you.

How often do you see Thai's wearing USA t-shirts, or the girls with the big Stars ans Stripes on the handbags........Take a good look around. Its pretty much all Union Jacks.................baby.

And here is something else...........considering the sheer size of the USA compared to the UK...........how come there are far more Brit curriculum schools throughout the world compared to the Yanks?

I really don't care what people wear, but I have seen an unsually high number of Thais wearing all sorts of shirts with American rap singers, athletes and famous movie stars on them. Come to think about it, I just saw a girl wearing a shirt with the American flag on it just yesterday. It's really besides the point. I know. But make no mistake about it, people all over the world are facinated with American pop culture, computers (an American invention), politics, fashion, money and all the glamour hyped up on the silver screen. If it weren't for all these things, it's highly doubtful that the English language would have ever made it to the international stardome as we can see today.

As for American education versus English education, there is no comparison. The institutes of higher education in American have no close comparison. American universities are the benchmarks by which universities worldwide compare themselves to. Why? Take a good look at the research and invention that comes out of there. Countries are jealous and they want to keep up. But how? They first have to learn the English language just to understand the content.

So tell me about all the remarkable new inventions that England keeps selling to the rest of the world year after year. I can hear the engineers at Apple, Microsoft etc. laughing in the background.

Edited by PhoenixRising

I don't care where the teachers are from. Infact, I think it is silly to limit the list to those nations (as I know people from other nations with far better English skills than those listed...including real teachers).

My only requirement is that they are real teachers, of this subject.

Clearly, that is seldom the case.

And the salary, well...maybe I should be a teacher, less work, less responsibility, less hours...for same level of salary. Where can I sign up? Oh, not on the list...

what about generalisations that other nationalities are not able to teach the language? Or that all Indians have accents? I worked at one of the English-language newspapers here as an editor and there were "native" speakers of the language who didn't know the difference between "their" and "there", or "revue" and "review". And spelt Olympics with an apostrophe "s". Just because you speak the language, it doesn't mean you can teach. I wouldn't want my kids speaking the way Australians pronounce "day" or "mate". Or "aitch" for "H". Nor would I want for them a Cockney accent, an Irish brogue, Scottish burr, or even a Texan drawl. In the end if the teachers are qualified, it doesn't matter where they come from. And finally I once met a person who was teaching English in one of the fancy international schools on the basis of the carpentry certificate he got in London. So I rest my case. Peace out, bro!

Edited by Maestro
Deleted quote that was a reply to a deleted post.

Got news for you.

ff

I really don't care what people wear, but I have seen an unsually high number of Thais wearing all sorts of shirts with American rap singers and famous movie stars on them. Come to think about it, I just saw a girl wearing a shirt with the American flag on it just yesterday. It's really besides the point I know. But make no mistake about it, people all over the world are facinated with American pop culture, computers (an American invention), politics, fashion, money and all the glamour hyped up on the silver screen. Of ot weren't for all these things, it's highly doubtful that the English language would have ever made it to international stardome as we can see today.

As for American education versus English education, there is no comparison. The institutes of higher education in American have no close comparison. American universities are the benchmarks by which universities worldwide compare themselves to. Why? Take a good look at the research and invention that comes out of there. Countries are jealous and they want to keep up. But how? They first have to learn the English language just to understand the content so they get get ahead.

America invented the computer ? I never knew that. Neither does Google. Think most of us would start with Babbage, Turing undoubtedly the Father of modern computing, (but you wouldn't have wanted to claim him anyway, unfortunate proclivities). And English has only achieved global status because of Hollywood and American culture ? You might be in Thailand but not sure about your planet.....

Edited by roamer

My Filipino friends in Bangkok earn 16000 baht while the Americans and Briitish earn around 30-40k at the same school.

I dont believe for a second they will give the same salary to Filipinos, yes I know its discrimination, TIT.

I have looked into teaching English in Thailand and the degree comes up.

A degree does not make a better teacher or person it is all down to the personalty of the teacher .

A degree I do no have , alas teaching English in the L.O.S. living with my wife I cannot do ....

I have a T.E.F.L. but no degree . I do not want to teach illegally as if the shit hit the fan I would get blacklisted from the country and would not be able to see my wife and child.

:annoyed:

Edited by Maestro
Deleted unrelated multiple quotes.

[

Indian and Phillapinos ? You ever noticed the heavy , over-riding accents these people have ? They are being considered to teach English , let the people pray it is understandable spoken Englis

Maybe you should think again considering the fact you can't even spell. Have your heard the heavy over-riding accents that some people from the UK speak with... haha

Scuzzy by name , scuzzy by nature , what is your problem with my spelling ? What has that to do with passing an opinion on an open forum ?

I have been subjected to all kinds of accents in my time and they have not bothered me , but students should be given the best of advantages possible .

You may want to check the spelling of "Phillapinos"? You Breetish peopel rully theenk you knowed evelly thing, but sumtims I can't unnerstand what you saying.... and that is before the beer.... get life mate, or join your ilk in Pattaya!

Oh really ? Unless I misread the OP they are going to "hire" 300 native speakers, didn't say anything about raising the salary of the existing teachers. :hit-the-fan:

So why don't you quit and get rehired at the new salary?

Got news for you.

I really don't care what people wear, but I have seen an unsually high number of Thais wearing all sorts of shirts with American rap singers, athletes and famous movie stars on them. Come to think about it, I just saw a girl wearing a shirt with the American flag on it just yesterday. It's really besides the point. I know. But make no mistake about it, people all over the world are facinated with American pop culture, computers (an American invention), politics, fashion, money and all the glamour hyped up on the silver screen. If it weren't for all these things, it's highly doubtful that the English language would have ever made it to the international stardome as we can see today.

As for American education versus English education, there is no comparison. The institutes of higher education in American have no close comparison. American universities are the benchmarks by which universities worldwide compare themselves to. Why? Take a good look at the research and invention that comes out of there. Countries are jealous and they want to keep up. But how? They first have to learn the English language just to understand the content.

So tell me about all the remarkable new inventions that England keeps selling to the rest of the world year after year. I can hear the engineers at Apple, Microsoft etc. laughing in the background.

America invented the computer?? Charles Babbage may have something to say to you. Oh and by the way the computer would be nothing without the "0". You might want to check who invented it? And Bush is the wrong answer.

So why don't you quit and get rehired at the new salary?

Possibly because I'm not a teacher working in LOS ? And I've no doubt a few teachers working in Thailand will be along to tell you of the probable pitfalls in such an action.

America invented the computer ? I never knew that. Neither does Google. Think most of us would start with Babbage, Turing undoubtedly the Father of modern computing, (but you wouldn't have wanted to claim him anyway, unfortunate proclivities). And English has only achieved global status because of Hollywood and American culture ? You might be in Thailand but not sure about your planet.....

When I said 'the computer,' I should have been more specific (the Personal Computer). Sorry, I thought it would go without saying. And the PC is most definately an American invention (or maybe Apple might want some of the credit). But then it was Microsoft that went ahead and created the famous software (in English) which caught on and captured the world's attention by storm. Now, add the internet (mostly an American invention) to that and you have a world which needs English just to function and keep up. If you think that computers have had no part to play in why people learn English (including American movies, music,, fashion, sports, politics, money, power and so forth), you are just not about to face reality on this planet.

Indian and Phillapinos ? You ever noticed the heavy , over-riding accents these people have ? They are being considered to teach English , let the people pray it is understandable spoken English .

Maybe you should think again considering the fact you can't even spell. Have your heard the heavy over-riding accents that some people from the UK speak with... haha

Just watch any English Premier League football match. I can't understand a word of what these people are saying; and they're allowed on live Television! I think I'd take a Flippo over these guys any day. :lol:

In any case, Indian and Philippino teachers would still be a huge improvement over the status quo.

Simply making more English TV programs and films accessible would probably also do wonders - yet the nationalists would prevent it. I remember I vacationed in Greece as a kid, and nobody spoke English there. Then a few years later I came back and suddenly all the kids spoke English. Turns out Greek TV was broadcasting lots of English-language films, with subtitles, and the kids picked it up from that.

Really a very simple solution IMO would be to make all the kids programming English. Thais love to park their kids in front of the TV anyway; if all that stuff wasn't Thai dubbed but instead in English, the kids would just pick it up at an early age. It's not a Oxford-certified English program, but they'd pick up some basics and quite possibly learn more than they ever would in school.

Let me remind you all that China is not improving their English. If you want to do business with them, you must learn Chinese. English a the thing of the past. We did business with the west, but it looks like business with the west will soon be devoured by the Chinese. Why do you think so many westerners have started to send their kids over to places like Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong. etc? What is the education minister thinking? Don't get me wrong. Finding quality English teachers is excellent. I've seen Italian English teachers (who couldn't even speak proper English) teaching in one of those language schools in BKK. It was so ridiculous. Hiring just about anyone off the streets just because they are 'farang'. With that aside, why is Chinese any less important?:ermm::ermm:

Because almost everybody in the world is using or try to use the English language. English is the most international spoken language.What I want with Chinese when I am going to Russia and can't talk Russian, just an example.