Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has just done 12,000km and the oil is still clean, pain in the ass as the level is hard to see on the dip stick.

Hmmmm, wonder why mine was so black? I have been using Shell V-Power almost exclusively. The truck has done numerous long road trips as well as short around town stop and go stuff, so pretty average I would think.

Mine has just done 12,000km and the oil is still clean, pain in the ass as the level is hard to see on the dip stick.

Funnily enough I just checked my oil 10 minutes before you posted this,and I too thought the same,mines only on 5000+ km,but looks pretty clean..

As regards to changing the wheels.Ford assured me that there are no warranty issues..

Well that's good news then for a friend of mine who has plans to change his wheels/tires. Mitsu may have just been looking for any reason to avoid honoring the warranty.

Hmmmm, wonder why mine was so black? I have been using Shell V-Power almost exclusively. The truck has done numerous long road trips as well as short around town stop and go stuff, so pretty average I would think.

Clean oil in a diesel engine after 5,000 km or 12,000 km is amazing. Traditionally diesels have quickly made engine oil black, mineral or synthetic oil, Jap, US or European engines, big or small did the same. Diesel oils have detergent additive specifically to control soot accumulation.

Modern diesels with Common Rail Fuel systems and better combustion chamber design probably generate less soot in combustion but EGR recycles it putting more load on the oil. Higher power ratings / lower duty cycle and idling / low speed traffic (especially in Thailand) would not help either.

Wonder how Ford keep the soot out of the oil in the Duratorq engines? V-Power will not make much difference as all Diesel is now 50 ppm sulphur. Some of the new oil specs like Fords talk about soot dispercency etc but if the soot is not in the oil, where is it?

BTW, most manufacturers have a comment somewhere about potential warranty implications of unapproved accessories or modifications. No matter what a dealer tells you, the warranty is only tested if a claim is made. The other side of the coin is, the risk of reasonable aftermarket wheels causing a problem is low. Even if they do Spoonman's backup plan of keeping the old wheels may work.

Edited by Jitar

Clean oil in a diesel engine after 5,000 km or 12,000 km is amazing. Traditionally diesels have quickly made engine oil black, mineral or synthetic oil, Jap, US or European engines, big or small did the same. Diesel oils have detergent additive specifically to control soot accumulation.

Modern diesels with Common Rail Fuel systems and better combustion chamber design probably generate less soot in combustion but EGR recycles it putting more load on the oil. Higher power ratings / lower duty cycle and idling / low speed traffic (especially in Thailand) would not help either.

Wonder how Ford keep the soot out of the oil in the Duratorq engines? V-Power will not make much difference as all Diesel is now 50 ppm sulphur. Some of the new oil specs like Fords talk about soot dispercency etc but if the soot is not in the oil, where is it?

BTW, most manufacturers have a comment somewhere about potential warranty implications of unapproved accessories or modifications. No matter what a dealer tells you, the warranty is only tested if a claim is made. The other side of the coin is, the risk of reasonable aftermarket wheels causing a problem is low. Even if they do Spoonman's backup plan of keeping the old wheels may work.

You know Jitar you are right, I just went and checked the oil that is only a couple days old and no problem seeing it on the dipstick, not coal black, but black just the same.

Edited by CDNinKS

Some posters ar happy to knock aftermarket Wheels etc, why is that Jitargiggle.gif .?.

I dunno Ace, why is it? Jealous perhaps? There is a pretty energetic thread on another forum on the subject of big chrome wheels

Personally I don't mind a nice alloy wheel. I have a PJS with aftermarket wheels and the OEM's tucked away, same idea as Spoonman. Our other cars & trucks have OEM wheels because they look OK so we kept them, or they are work vehicles and fancy alloys are not a good idea. Horses for courses.

Spoonman, sorry to hear Ford aren't sorting your clutch problem. Most brands warranty support is OK for minor stuff but if something is difficult or expensive it's another story.

Edited by Jitar

So......my wife just came back from Ford as she was there on another matter. They now had a revised price and said that I and the girl who quoted me the price misunderstood each other....yeah right, she spoke very good English and I was very clear that I only wanted an oil and filter change. Apparently the manager found out I went to B Quik and wanted to know why. They now quoted my wife 1,935 baht for 7 liters of oil. That sounds about right for synthetic. Total price for oil and filter was now going to be 2,435 baht.......a 1,000 baht difference.

So, not wanting to say there is double pricing or anything, but.........

Edited by CDNinKS

Yo Ho, my Wife has bloody great Chrome Looks on her Hideous Black Accord. The Dogs tiddle up them. They leave my lowley Civic alone.thumbsup.gif

Never mind Ace, if your Civic feels left out bring it over to my work. Plenty of stray dogs there that will piss on anything.

Your are right about Cruze being a good laugh, thinking back to an entertaining wet thread of his.biggrin.png

Edited by Jitar

It's possible the posters reporting clean oil don't do do too much idling in traffic - a highway driver will very rarely activate EGR...

Not sure about the Ranger engine but some EGR systems cut back to zero at around 2,000 rpm and some reduce but maintain some level of EGR all the way up the rev range. In any case, modern diesels with EGR blocked off still make the oil black. Something else must be going on if the oil stays clean.

I have never ever seen ''clean'' oil after a few hours running time, never. BUT, clean is a different meaning if we are talking about oil colour change. The oil ''colour'' will change after a few hours running but it will be clean. smile.png

I agree, that's why I find it strange that a couple posters say they have trouble seeing it on the dipstick.....

I lerned Englisn in Portugal,i'm not a Superior Being.But i can follow Ford Instructions regarding service.giggle.gif

Ahh, my apologies then. That would explain why you had trouble reading and comprehending the Popular Mechanics link I posted.

I have never ever seen ''clean'' oil after a few hours running time, never. BUT, clean is a different meaning if we are talking about oil colour change. The oil ''colour'' will change after a few hours running but it will be clean. smile.png

I agree, that's why I find it strange that a couple posters say they have trouble seeing it on the dipstick.....

Yep, pull the dip stick out, put the oil on a tissue and see what the tissue says. smile.png

lol never said i couldn't see the level on the tissue paper, was wondering how long till that was suggested.

I vaguely remember Popolar Mechanics in England 30 years ago.It was for Poor Folk who practiced DIY.coffee1.gif

Yeh, me. thumbsup.gif ..........................smile.png and proud of it, Not huddle around mums apron strings as they do today. Whatever country. coffee1.gif

Did they have V8s in England cheesy.gif .

I vaguely remember Popolar Mechanics in England 30 years ago.It was for Poor Folk who practiced DIY.coffee1.gif

Yeh, me. thumbsup.gif ..........................smile.png and proud of it, Not huddle around mums apron strings as they do today. Whatever country. coffee1.gif

Did they have V8s in England cheesy.gif .

Yes, Daimler (Jag) 2.5 & 4.5 ltr V8, and a sad Triumph V8. Hmmm, Rover too but the design really was from Buick. .smile.png

I can only remember the Ford V8 Pilot in my day.That came with instructions in English and Portuguese on what oil to use.thumbsup.gif

If DIY is checking my fluid levels on a regular basis then I must be "poor folk".

Well, it's Friday afternoon and after reading some of the blurb here I'm off to top the fluid levels up!

post-30245-0-88398400-1368784280_thumb.j

If DIY is checking my fluid levels on a regular basis then I must be "poor folk".

Well, it's Friday afternoon and after reading some of the blurb here I'm off to top the fluid levels up!

attachicon.gifCASTROL GOBSHITE.jpg

EPM,

Perfect!!! clap2.gif

attachicon.gifCASTROL GOBSHITE.jpg

EPM,

Perfect!!! clap2.gif

Good for You. I recomend Chang Export Synthetic.sick.gif