Farmers Sob Stories

Lickey

I think that many of us would, with hindsight stay well clear of land deals and farming in Thailand if we had our time over.

Our (TW,s)small holding was part of 30 rai river frontage paddy owned by the family matriarch (TW,s mother) and each of the five siblings just utilised a smallish part to plant one crop of sticky rice per year.

The deal was that the land would be split equally upon the demise of MiL, however when I happened along a few years ago I was hit up to buy the title out of mortgage after it was used by a neice who failed to pay any principal or interest for several years.

I was not really interested so called a family get together, where I suggested that each sibling beg borrow or steal 60K to pay the debt on provision the land was sub-divided immediately.

This idea was rejected (bloody tightwads)so I suggested plan B,this was that I would pay the debt as long as subdivision took place forthwith and that each sibling contributed land from their share to make up 3 rai extra for TW, (3 rai @100k per rai.

This effectively meant that TW got 9 rai and her siblings a bit over 5 rai each , this was agreed and each sibling chose the piece they wanted and TW got what was left, (which of course was the worst section, of course the siblings had a good laugh about how they had out-smarted the stupid farang until they learnt that we had always planned to make major changes in turning it into a fish farm.

I used the same diligence in the dealings that I would in Oz so legally it was watertight ,but I did not count on the angst that can be found in a dysfunctional Thai family.

We put up with full on war for a few years,fences cut and cattle let into ponds ,poaching ,ponds poisoned,equipment and poultry stolen etc etc,but a couple of split skulls and a couple of short stays in the local lockup(plus having to pay restitution and they have learnt that this farang ,nice a bloke as I am ,is not to be messed with.

Many times I have suggested to TW that she sell up and we go live out our latter years in a more friendly environment,but she is as pig headed as the rest of her family and reckons that would be a win for them.

She is kind of right. Packin up and leaving might let the family win. IA said something very smart in an earlier post. Think it goes like this: "Outthink and outsmart them"

I can think of selling the land to the family's worst enemy - think that will bite them in their nose BIG time.

Well it's not a loss of face for you or your missus - actually quite a devious revenge if you ask me ;-)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't bear to read all the posts, it's tends to make me give up. The worst experiences we've had are being let down by family and locals, general dishonesty and a tiny bit of theft.

What amazes me is how difficult it is to grasp simple things like which valves to open for a drip system to work properly. This is beyond any Thais we've had on the place so far. Other problems are:

- Watering the same plants everyday, while completely ignoring the others.

- Continually chopping up irrigation

- Refusing to use the pond water which is full of fish crap

- Failing to understand even the by pass switch on a timer

- Declaring pumps etc. broken without checking the connection

- Sweeping the same spots everyday, while ignoring everywhere else and any rubbish on the property.

- Being unable to separate compost from regular garbage

We only have 4 rai.

There seems to be a learning difficulty with Thais, even most builders can't read plans, no matter how simple. They often disagree and have their own ideas on things, which are based purely on guess work rather than research. Then they can become very stubborn.

It's easy to underestimate just how they can stuff things up. Relying on them is courting disaster, especially if it requires using meters, double checking or anything besides just being there.

And then you have a villager with 50 rai in his charge to do the family's paddies who beg his elder sister who live in Germany to buy a 36hp Kubota tractor (fully paid). It just sits there in the open garage just for showroom and his face value. When he finally use it to do his plot and took some outsource work of others farmer, pocketed all the income and rings his sister abroad for money to do repairs and maintenance...She gave up, he threaten to not do family's paddies plot, sister scolded him and brought some sense out of him by saying that he's a fool, it doesn't bother her if he thinks shit taste better than rice~ :whistling: Don't do paddies, what is he going to eat.

Issan Aussies advice is very good, skip the merit making, if someone insists on it let them pad.

Save yourself time and let them label you a black heart from the start. Then you will know who is for real. The happy smiling village is just for appearances, don't mistake it for honesty and good heartedness.

State your position, smile and leave it at that, don't be persauded, even by the missus.

One thing that I hasn't been mentioned, is buy land as far away from the in laws as possible!

a young Aussie fella came to our salon in 07, he wanted to buy some farm land, mrs knew of some land for sale and we viewed in the afternoon, i asked him, where does your GF live? he said about 15ks outside Namsom, so why do you want to buy here and not in GF village, he replied, i need a convienent distance from the family, so yes Mixed, spot on,

Personally, i paid [with a contribution from the mrs] for the Salon and our retirement home, the 40 rai farm was a gift for me, a hobby, i knew it would never make money, but as i explained, got it cleaned up, irrigation ect, got a bit of beer money, [smithson, Thai labour wasted two booster pumps, because of their inabillity to turn of one when using the bore pump]

This sort of stuff seems to be quite normal here, I even fixed a rose on the end of the water hose so that it would seem like a never ending watering can, and still they moaned it wasnt enough, reason was that at the top of the farm, i put a tap, half-opened and hidden so they could not dead-head the bore pump which would have cost 20k to replace..

I really hope some newbies are reading these posts, and i must add, that JIm, the rubber guru, is now having to live on handouts from his T W family, is this true Jim??

Just having a bit of a winge, as there are no Farangs to speak to I will post this story and get it off my chest.

Our biggest plantation is about ready to start tapping, had 2 good rains on it. So time to fertilise. Yesterday into town for 40 bags [50 kilo] Lead tapper[foreman] comes with me. I ask him where is his worker, a 40% tapper. He doesn't know what has happened to him as he was supposed to be here. Now as I said in an earlier post I seldom do any real work, but today I get to lug around 50 kilo bags of fertiliser in 35 degree heat. Not happy at all and am seriously thinking of firing the tapper. Now I am 2 tappers short for this season already and could do with another 2 in training. Well decide to give the guy a warning that next time he's finished.

Later in the day see the guy, ask why he didn't turn up Tells me he has a new job 4000 [yes 4000] Baht a day as a illegal logger. Tell him he nuts, he will end up shoot or in jail, no no it's Government run coruption. Look at him and say 4000 Baht a day and no danger, pull the other leg. Don't bother coming back for your job if you don't end up dead.

Today foreman says we needs to start getting wood for the smoke house, but he has no one to help. Now we have 4 other % tappers, One is the father in-law and he is too old to really work, just let him tap 300 trees on a plantation that has not really come on line yet, keeps him happy. Where are the other 3, you guessed it in the jungle felling trees.

Well that leaves me in the proverbial shit creek. Need to fertilise 7000 plus trees. no workers, no money to hire them even if I could find anyone. Percentage tappers are paid good money when tapping. but they have to take care of thier plantations, cut grass, fertilise and get wood for the smoker. They can;t just rock up when the tapping starts and expect to get 20.000 to 30.000 baht a month. I would fire them all. but I can't replace them, there is just no one out there to hire. Would go down south and find some, but then I would need to house them, a no win stituation. Such is life I guess. Jim

Just an enquiry, if you had say 15 rai of rubber trees that you paid people to work, can it make money ?. Think must include a % going missing in the figures. :huh:

Depending on tree condition, good bad tappers and you making RSS. No reason you would not make 1200 trees X 5 kilos a year at $5 US a kilo. 6000 kilos or $30, 000 US worth of rubber a year, minus costs about 50 plus %. Should have 10 grand in your pocket. Jim

Just an enquiry, if you had say 15 rai of rubber trees that you paid people to work, can it make money ?. Think must include a % going missing in the figures. :huh:

Depending on tree condition, good bad tappers and you making RSS. No reason you would not make 1200 trees X 5 kilos a year at $5 US a kilo. 6000 kilos or $30, 000 US worth of rubber a year, minus costs about 50 plus %. Should have 10 grand in your pocket. Jim

Cool. :)

While all us farang are having a whinge, it's worth mentioning that u will hear many similar stories from hard working honest Thais.

Abundant natural resources (now depleted) have been followed by a heap of farang and their money.

While all us farang are having a whinge, it's worth mentioning that u will hear many similar stories from hard working honest Thais.

Abundant natural resources (now depleted) have been followed by a heap of farang and their money.

That sounds like the makings of a good sob story, but could you flesh it out a little bit? That is to say, what the hell are you talking about? More details please. TIA :jap:

That sounds like the makings of a good sob story, but could you flesh it out a little bit? That is to say, what the hell are you talking about? More details please. TIA :jap:

Must agree.

Thought farang money saved many Thai people from disaster . :)

I'm trying to say the natural resources and abundant food has enabled ppl to get by without 'thinking too much.'

This has been followed by farang and their easy money - there is little reason or incentive to work hard, with so many daughters/sisters taking care.

Im not really sure if Thais do know how to help themselves, it seems to me that somebody in the village says, Cassava will do well next year, big money!! same with Sugar cane, so they pull out there Lamyai/Tamarind/banana orchards and plant this wonderful money maker, even convert rice paddies to sugar cane or maize, From the top of our house i can see swarthes of trees cut down on the hillsides, they plant cassava early hoping it will take root before the rain starts, when the wet season starts here, it really does rain for a day or so, and most of the crop is in a mudslide at the bottom of the hill,

Those that do manage to go full term with the crop have a new pick-up outside the house? [read big bus shelter] for about 3 months and then its snatched back, Subsistence farming is getting out of hand now, They can grow enough rice, some to sell and the rest for the years food, Most of us know that money burns a hole in a thais pocket and it must be spent!! you cant eat cassava or sugar cane..so alternative foods have to be found and paid for.

Im pretty sure that most of bio-fuel crops and rubber is exported, making good money for the goverment, and a pittance for the farmer, I sometimes wonder if the goverment could regulate bio-fuel rubber production by the size of farm, for instance, 200rai, only 40% for Bio and/or rubber, the rest should be edible veg or fruit, to be sold at the local market, that way, it will ensure the family have a regular income,

Those who do Pig Cattle Fish Chicken farming are making a good contribution to the available foods,

Just for those who are "farming from afar" if youve read all the posts, then you will know most of us have been here in Thai 5 years+, and are having problems, even though we try to keep an eye on things,,

PS, thanks for your post Jim..

Lickey's comment " Just for those who are "farming from afar" if youve read all the posts, then you will know most of us have been here in Thai 5 years+, and are having problems, even though we try to keep an eye on things" sure sums up my position. I've been in Thailand for 12 years and experience tells me that the farmers lot here is no easier than elsewhere in the world. Yet here I am trying to scratch a living in Isaan from a pocket handkerchief hobby farm.

The King's policies for a "sufficiency economy" and his 30,30,30,10% diversification land use split, I believe are extremely well considered and absolutely appropriate for the Thai rural community. We capitalist farangs on the other hand take a more corporate farming view on producing sufficient profit. Yet most of we hobby farmers only have small holdings and realistically can't achieve the economy of scale to monocrop anything profitably, even using modern western farming techniques.

Thai farmers around me, grow sufficient food for consumption and income sufficient for a traditional village lifestyle. A simple happy life with a full rice bowl. The challenge is to produce enough to fund an increasingly consumer lifestyle from the small holdings they have. They normally achieve this by seeking off season, off farm employment, or from their children working elsewhere.

Using 30% of the land for water storage and fish farming, aquaponics etc, 30% for rice farming, 30% for alternate crops, and the 10% balance for people and animals, seems a good balance to me. Most industrious farmers here are involved in all facets but not to the degree suggested and I wonder how they could achieve the higher percentages for water and alternate crops as both need reasonable land development investment and new skills. The government provides the training and the funds, the missing incredient is long range planning and execution.

Many of the "sobs" discussed here are founded in we farangs thinking we can improve things for everybody. Thinking we can add value to local farming by some means here when the same ideas are difficult to achieve anywhere. I have been caught with labour shortages and the world's economic woes that continue to challenge the finances, yet I still believe an integrated farm where efficiency and diversification to reduce costs are key factors to success.

Most posts here teach me that "the family" will ultimately be proven correct when they say, "Up to you!" If its critical, then do it yourself. For anyone thinking about getting into farming here, have a long, hard look at your own motivation and commitment level first.

Isaan Aussie

Well, this one takes the cake. I had given up on my wifes younger brother completely after ten years of seeing demonstrations of just what a worthless, ego-maniacal, drunken, lay about, leech he is. But now he has turned up again. Of course, penniless and on the scrounge.

Well, right at the moment things could not be any tighter of the cash flow front and the wife told him to take a walk, a long walk. He was dumbstruck, what had he done wrong to be sent away empty handed? So she told him that we simply didnt have any spare money to feed his habits and he should fend for himself. His response was a classic, "You have many millions, why cant you take care of money?"

SAY WHAT?

My partner's family farm in Sa Kaeo province is large by local standards at 180 rai plus more they lease; they are the 'big' farm locally, have been for a long time - the village, river, bridge all bear their surname. They do not drink alcohol/tea/coffee, smoke cigarettes, gamble, lend or borrow money. And believe it or not nice people to be around we have just moved after 11 months based there. The father died 18 years ago and their little empire run by the old mother and son-in-law who also works 3 days a week as an agriculture inspector for the or-bor-tor, has a tractor with all the attachments for farm use and contracting out. They have no debt; money in the bank. When my partner got her share of a euc harvest in February ma insisted it be invested at Kasikorn on a 14mth fixed-deposit they had running at the time. Maybe she thought I'd spend it for her! They live a fairly simple life - renovated wooden houses (but minus aircon), and apart from 2 tractors and numerous motorbikes they have no vehicle - they hire one as required for family trips. Three children went on to further education, and have nil interest in career farm life, two in Bangkok and my good lady with me. The other son/daughter are farmers.

Farm a mix of eucalyptus, sugar, cassava and a small area of rice near the river, so apart from seasonal needs there is minimal labour requirements - machinery removed the needs for ongoing local labour.

They face theft, intentional damage to farm equipment generated by spite/jealousy maybe in the same way some farang farmers encounter. Some locals plainly do not like them for their perceived success. So maybe it's not limited to newcomers/farang.

Well, this one takes the cake. I had given up on my wifes younger brother completely after ten years of seeing demonstrations of just what a worthless, ego-maniacal, drunken, lay about, leech he is. But now he has turned up again. Of course, penniless and on the scrounge.

Well, right at the moment things could not be any tighter of the cash flow front and the wife told him to take a walk, a long walk. He was dumbstruck, what had he done wrong to be sent away empty handed? So she told him that we simply didnt have any spare money to feed his habits and he should fend for himself. His response was a classic, "You have many millions, why cant you take care of money?"

SAY WHAT?

That story reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. At the time we did not have our own place so were living with the MIL and FIL. Up rocks the loser nephew of the MIL, throws a mat down in front of the TV and takes up residency. A few weeks later I hear him ripping into the MIL complaining that we weren't feeding him well enough and he wanted better food. It made me laugh to think he really believed it was his right to demand more while sponging of his Aunt, Needless to say after a few words with the FIL he was shown the door. I believe he went round telling everyone how bad we were to him. Jim

One thing that I hasn't been mentioned, is buy land as far away from the in laws as possible!

I find that living about 800 km away, and a change of plane/bus/train in Bangkok, is just about the right distance ! B)

But one day a BiL rang to ask for the use (at a commercial-rate of interest & with a loan-contract), of the 5 million Baht, which my MiL had told him I had sitting in the bank. Pure fabrication & wishful-thinking, as if I'd bring more into Thailand than I needed ! :o

Edited by Ricardo

SAY WHAT?

That story reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. At the time we did not have our own place so were living with the MIL and FIL. Up rocks the loser nephew of the MIL, throws a mat down in front of the TV and takes up residency. A few weeks later I hear him ripping into the MIL complaining that we weren't feeding him well enough and he wanted better food. It made me laugh to think he really believed it was his right to demand more while sponging of his Aunt, Needless to say after a few words with the FIL he was shown the door. I believe he went round telling everyone how bad we were to him. Jim

yep, heard similar and they get away with it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :ph34r:

yep, heard similar and they get away with it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :ph34r:

Perhaps Transam I could ask you to play devil's advocate here? You heard a similar story, what did you think? It is often hard for me to stay objective when I'm directly involved in this stuff as it is very frustrating.

I have plodded through some frustrating periods in my long life but undoubtably the most frustrating is the ongoing saga of my drunken, thieving,drug addicted Son in Law .

I/we have tried everything (bar the final solution and that has been contemplated)including having him locked up for substance abuse,tried punching sense into him on numerous occasions all to no avail.

I have been threatened with a machete,had a muzzleloader pointed at me , he has threatened to burn the house down while we sleep.

His worst periods are when he mixes Lao Khao and glue sniffing.

More recently has been a reasonably serene period around here as T/W paid him to go to Bangkok and get a job (again)but he was recently seriously (not serious enough )injured when somebody stuck a knife in his guts,so now that he is on the mend we are expecting him to turn up on the doorstep any time.

My solution now as I cannot live here with him and his antics is to maintain an apartment in Cambodia (he comes I goes),Since I set this up I feel much better .

The farang in these situations is limited in the actions available to them as "blood is thicker than water".

T/W is self sufficient with our fish farm so its up to her and the family to sort it out, at my ripe old age and my dodgy ticker I have no intentions of allowing the situation to put me in an early grave.

I have plodded through some frustrating periods in my long life but undoubtably the most frustrating is the ongoing saga of my drunken, thieving,drug addicted Son in Law .

I/we have tried everything (bar the final solution and that has been contemplated)including having him locked up for substance abuse,tried punching sense into him on numerous occasions all to no avail.

I have been threatened with a machete,had a muzzleloader pointed at me , he has threatened to burn the house down while we sleep.

More recently has been a reasonably serene period around here as T/W paid him to go to Bangkok and get a job (again)but he was recently seriously (not serious enough )injured when somebody stuck a knife in his guts,so now that he is on the mend we are expecting him to turn up on the doorstep any time.

My solution now as I cannot live here with him and his antics is to maintain an apartment in Cambodia (he comes I goes),Since I set this up I feel much better .

The farang in these situations is limited in the actions available to them as "blood is thicker than water".

T/W is self sufficient with our fish farm so its up to her and the family to sort it out, at my ripe old age and my dodgy ticker I have no intentions of allowing the situation to put me in an early grave.

They say the fire that burn others, warms us. I am glad someone else has been in a similar but worse position than me with this stuff. Mate, just maybe your "handle" initals maybe the way to go, OD. Try buying him a box of the white death and a pack of superglue tubes as a "peace offering". If he gets drunk first, then glue the bugger to a tree.

...we have just moved after 11 months based there. The father died 18 years ago and their little empire run by the old mother and son-in-law who also works 3 days a week as an agriculture inspector for the or-bor-tor, has a tractor with all the attachments for farm use and...

I know what's their purpose but i need the resemble title in English...Anyone ? :)

Like Phuyai ban = Village chief

O.B.T = ??? (village taxman ?)

Edited by RedBullHorn

I know what's their purpose but i need the resemble title in English...Anyone ? :)

Like Phuyai ban = Village chief

O.B.T = ??? (village taxman ?)

Or bor tor, or OrBorTor - is it Tambon Administration? as I understand, lower level local government, local roading, maintenance, I think they may issue building permits but could be wrong on any of this; must differ between fully rural v urban, partner's b-i-l is a farm inspector/advisor - water management is an issue in Sa Kaeo eg a simplistic example someone decides to try and get a second crop of rice and diverts a river affecting other farms/farmers, gives advice on crops etc.

Happy to be corrected.

Her late father was phuyai/pooyai ban, for better or worse, the family have a firm 'grip' on the area

If the eldest son were to return to the farm he'd be expected to go for that role - but he never will - hates farming has a nice electronics job indoors - whiter skin than me these days.

Edited by genghis61

Dom, you have made a wise choice mate, others might say dont let the family see you have been beaten, you havent, youve just had enough, just to let others know, Dom is over 70 years old and has had by-pass surgery, Dom, remember SAPs goodbye evening in Udon, you told me youve only ever been knocked on your back twice, and both were Thai woman, and whenever i see your posts or a PM, i think, ahh, the Tasmainian Devel is still kicking,,Youve been a real gem for me on the farming forum, great useful advice and always in a friendly mode,,

Enjoy your twilight years in Cambodia, youve done what you can for the tw family, and now its your turn to do what you want, and Pan says sawadeeka and chok dee,

Cheers, Lickey..

Here's a bit of Songkran success. The successful conclusion to a sob story. Three years ago my wife became ill, doctor after doctor, things just got worse. In the end I took her to Bangkok and after 3 weeks in the hospital hilton and heaps of money she was on he road to recovery and back home again. We had a steady stream of family and friends visiting during the first week she was home was it was all pretty tiring.

One of the family visitors asked to borrow 5,000 baht, promising to give it back by the end of the month. He had been very helpful so I lent him the money. That was the last we saw of him until this week. He bounces in all grins. I bounced him straight back out again. Why the wife asks? Because he had promised to return the money which he knew was lent at a difficult time when there wasnt much around, thats why, and I have had enough.

So for the first day or so of the holidays I had some peace, the family stayed away from me. Yesterday, amid the monks and the water tossing, chummy turns up and gives me back the money, borrowed from someone else. But I wasn't finished yet, I asked for interest at the local 3 baht rate which meant the debt had more than doubled. Obviously he didnt have it but the point was there was no way that I was going to do the Thai thing and blow the 5,000 getting everyone drunk.

Getting the money back wasnt the win. The win was that I have drawn the line on money lending. The money tree is DEAD and the ATM has shorted out.

15 years ago, we were still back in Singapore, the wife's cousin phone her, requesting her to find him a job in S'pore. The wife called back after her search (she found him a jr.cook position in a friend's restaurant) to tell him to go get himself passport in Chiang Mai and the salary of the job was SGD$ 1300 (@ exchange rate of ฿25 /SGD$1 then) He arrived, live in my apartment, was well look after, so everyone was happy.

After 5 months on the job, he was fired for stealling meat which he sold to vendors and the wife bought the return flight ticket. Oh he was excited alright...His first flight on an aeroplane. :lol:

We return a year later as i was ready to settle down in Thailand permanently...He and his mother came a few days later, handed the wife his passport and demanded ฿8'000 for the trips he made getting the passport in Chiang Mai and all the coaches fare that he made from Chiang Rai-Bangkok-Hatyai-Malaysia-S'pore ! :blink:

I echo after Issan Aussie,

SAY WHAT !?!!

:ph34r:

Edited by RedBullHorn

Yesterday the bil lost the key to our second bike, his brother had come from bkk to pick him up and they were waiting to leave.

I made them search for 2hrs but to no avail. My suggestion that they stay the night and search again in the morning shocked everyone.

Eventually they left, but will be back in few days and he'll have to load the bike in his brothers truck to get a new key. This is the least they can do, but they will see it as a great injustice.

It's not as if they single farang out for special treatment, it's just that we take care to be organized with tools etc. in good working order. So we are vulnerable.