What Is A Homestay & Farmstay

happyjune

there are no national let alone inernational definitions accepted by all ... another example .. what is a "resort"?

ditto what is 4 star, 3 star?? the best you can hope for is the one industry association agreeing on a standard ... and I don't think Thailand has reached this stage yet.

so .. look at the pics in the web site (probably taken 10 years ago when the place was new) and take your best guess as to whether this is the accomm experience you are looking for

Agreed. it is related to tax issues, number of rooms, standards of accommodation and service, location.

Accommodation on a farm is , to me, obviously not a hotel. its an opportunity to stay on a farm and have that experience.

A homestay, surely would be something like a Guesthouse, or in the UK a Bed and Breakfast.

A Hotel operated by Hilton or Marriot etc,,, does not compare to a Homestay in someone elses house or on a farm !!!

Seems pretty simple to me..

At a homestay in the real sense of the word you should be staying with a Thai family and participate in their daily life, like working at the field and going to the market.

But many nondescript lodgings nowadays adopt terms like "homestay" or "boutique hotel" or "spa" in an attempt to do some marketing.

At a homestay in the real sense of the word you should be staying with a Thai family and participate in their daily life, like working at the field and going to the market.

But many nondescript lodgings nowadays adopt terms like "homestay" or "boutique hotel" or "spa" in an attempt to do some marketing.

Used to be away of making extra money without attracting some of the tax, health & safety and food prep issues which are sometimes - not always - a bane of the modern overgoverned world. I have always equated home stays with louse bound Brits at the sea side B&B's though admit to staying at a few boutique ones where we were the only guests in a whole house. Again saving money without hotel services.

Farmstays made a big impact 20 or so years back for the same reason - money. As Keestha said one of the selling points was living and working on a farm like real roustabouts etc. Pay up front get 3 real farm meals a day and play with horses sheep and cattle, mend fences etc etc

At my ex's ma in laws place it was revenue earner with cheap labour.

I obviously mix with the wrong people, or the right ones depending on one's view. I do not know one solitary Thai who pays or has ever paid tax!

OK they're all farmers, but most have at least 3,000,000 in the bank!

PS if the farms have horses you are obviously around CM area or at least very far north of Nakhon Sawan.

Edited by CHANGOVER

Just a guess, but I'm imagining that there aren't that many true homestays that have developed outside of the expected locales.

Driving around in different parts of Thailand, I saw signs with "homestay" often enough. Some examples coming to mind now: Kaper area, Ranong province, on the road to Phuket, and on the road from Prachinburi to Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima), both not touristy areas.

I was told that the accomodation they get is very spartan: mattress on the floor, no ensuite bathroom.

Googling homestay/Thailand I came across mixed western/Thai couples offering homestays. Wouldn't go for that if I were a tourist: you want to experience the real Thailand, which I wouldn't expect to find in say a mixed Thai/Dutch household.

Well I actually have some answers now, yes it is true re the tax situation, a hotel will pay up front per year (by memory) 12.5% of expected occupancy rates, seems often deemed at 60% the rooms are expected to be full. A home-stay pays tax on income after the fact.

Farm stays are actually registered with a farm stay organisation, you do not have to work on a farm.

Home stays not sure about any organization in Thailand to be sure( tad confused)

Both, are not allowed to have in the room, a toilet, fridge or TV, there is a definition on a Thai Gov website, very clear.

I have seen some rooms well designed though, that looking like resort hotel rooms, but there is a airconed room, and under the almost built in porch out the front has a fridge, separate toilet room / shower and TV area.

rolleyes.gif

Homestay is a form of tourism that allows the visitor to rent a room from a local family to better learn the local lifestyle as well as improve their language ability

A farm stay is any type of accommodation on a working farm. Some are family-focused, offering children opportunities to feed animals, collect eggs and learn how a farm functions. Others don't allow children and instead offer a peaceful retreat for adults. For the accommodations, guests normally pay rates similar to area bed & breakfasts or vacation rentals.

A farm stay can be very affordable accommodations than hotels.

• 1 month later...