Flooded In Northern Trang

phuket Mike

Woke up this morning to 5cm of water downstairs. It's not too bad a least we knew it was coming, spent most of last night moving everything upstairs. It was quite a party atmosphere with all my Thai neighbors helping each other.

Apparently it's a lot worse further south with many people coming up here, a lot of wife's family have already evacuated. It's not raining at the moment in fact it feels quite hot although no sun.

I still have power and internet so I'm staying put.

yup bad everywhere around here north of Huai Yot...rellies Ban Kan and NS Thammarat under water...hundreds of rubber trees fallen over in the soil which has become soup in many places...we are on the side of a hill so no flooding but had a substantial mudslide on our land behind and about 30 metres from beside house...wife not sleeping and packing "paperwork" in case our house slides away.....she says Thai radio forecast is for even worse torrential rains in a few days...all rather worrying....checking for cracks and any distressing evidence etc around house daily..fingers and toes crossed..anyways good luck mate

cheers

david

Well no more rain at the moment, water got up to about 10cm in the house, although it has cleared now. We are now facing more serious problems potential health risks. We currently have no running water and all the drains are backed up.

There is over 2 meters of water out the back of the house, which is obviously becoming dirtier by the minute. I suspect a plaque of mosquitoes tonight, I have already got a load of coils ready and have isolated one room completely for sleeping.

The other problem is the smell, this water is fast becoming stagnant and already stinks.

One the positive side the sun is out and we have a small market, although we did get relief supplies yesterday (5kg rice, tinned fish, noodles etc) I was impressed by the speed of the help. We are thankful for a great local community who have all helped each other. Yesterday we even had teams of locals coming round asking if we needed help cleaning up, so for me the only falang for miles around I am very impressed with my Thai friends and neighbors.

• 2 weeks later...