Looking For Visa Advice

Hi everybody,

First off, these forums are great - I've learned a ton!

I wanted to get some opinions on what visa option to explore given these circumstances:

-28, USA citizen

-Currently working remotely in Sriracha in online marketing (still on my first 30 day tourist visa).

-Wanting to live here 3-5 months, but am a little nervous about re-upping the 30 day tourist visa each month, and because I do not currently have airfare outside of the country (would prefer not to make that decision for a few months).

-I've looked into an education non-immigration visa, but it looks like they are all one-year. Are there any 6 or 3-month options of this type?

-I'm also very open to the possibility of doing some advertising work here (social media stuff, video editing, etc.) that could lead to a non-immigration type B visa.

-Also the possibility have investing/helping to operate a small business with some Thai friends (clothing shop, little restaurant, etc.). Are there any visa option associated with this?

So the easiest move at the moment is the monthly visa run, but potential border difficulties and the hassle of going every month have me strongly considering a more long-term option.

Sorry for all the info, I just want to get some advice from people with a lot of experience in these matters.

Thank you!

Wow, lots of legal implications can be had working without a Work Permit and only here on a Visa Exemption on Arrival that can not be extended.

Border runs only give you 14-15 days, and flying in gives you another 30 days Visa Exemption.

These points far too often are overlooked by those that attempt to circumvent the rules.

Not being critical toward you or others in the same boat, but:

If you are going to just continue on with your current endevours improperly, then just get a tourist visa at a Thai Consulate/Embassy outside Thailand good for 60 days extendable for another 30 days at a local immigration office.

But be aware that working is forbidden and if you are caught working (especially if the telemarketing thing turns out to be illegal somewhere else, as has happened to some persons in Pattaya area) you could face serious legal problems and possible jail and or fines.

If a person does not have the money to support their stay here, then should not be here, especially as a tourist.

Possibly try to get a yob working at a school teaching english and get the proper visa.

No matter what, you have to get a proper visa and work permit to engage in work here.

Edited by TacoBoy

A 30 day entry stamp obtained at the airport is called visa exempt, not a tourist visa. A proper tourist visa, obtained from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate, is good for a total of 90 (60+30) days. You cannot legally work in Thailand without a work permit and a Thai company to sponsor you. Not withstanding all your ideas, at the moment you only qualify for a tourist visa.

Thanks, guys!

@TacoBoy I definitely understand your concerns and wish to have my work situation legal in Thailand. I operate a small business that is perfectly legal in America (online work for restaurant clients) and will not have difficulty financing a stay in Thailand even without that income.

What sort of Work Permit is necessary for doing business with exclusively American clients, but temporarily residing in Thailand?

@InterestedObserver Thank you for the clarification! I didn't realize the 30-day entry stamp was different than the tourist visa. To apply for a proper tourist visa, does an applicant need to have paid airfare leaving the country within the 60 or 90 day time frame?

Thanks!

You might be able to get a Thai company to take over your clients and then work for the Thai company. If it is anything like the web site you are promoting in your Avatar I doubt you will get far though.

Thanks, guys!

@TacoBoy I definitely understand your concerns and wish to have my work situation legal in Thailand. I operate a small business that is perfectly legal in America (online work for restaurant clients) and will not have difficulty financing a stay in Thailand even without that income.

What sort of Work Permit is necessary for doing business with exclusively American clients, but temporarily residing in Thailand?

@InterestedObserver Thank you for the clarification! I didn't realize the 30-day entry stamp was different than the tourist visa. To apply for a proper tourist visa, does an applicant need to have paid airfare leaving the country within the 60 or 90 day time frame?

Thanks!

If a person/business has enough funds, they can obtain an investment or business visa in thailand.

It may be several million baht investment required.

Americans doing business in Thailand have a special Treaty of Amity and Commerce.

Didn't understand from your OP that you had more than substantial funds to sustain yourself. There was mention of not enough for a flight.

A onward ticket may be required for a tourist visa, depending on the Embassy/Consulate.

Closest travel from Pattaya would be either Phnom Pehn Cambodia or Ventien Laos.

Someone more in the know can answer if you would need an onward ticket at either of these places.

If possible, you may be able to get a double entry tourist visa which would cover about 6 months.

Also it may not be considered work in Thailand if you are not working for anyone other than yourself while on Holiday on line with strictly American based companies and no involvement with Thailand.

But that is truly a legal question to be answered by a thai business attorney.

good luck

Edited by TacoBoy

I appreciate the response, Taco Boy. Not having exiting airfare is not due to insufficient funds, but just due to not nailing down a departure date....hard to leave, you know?

I'll look more into the investment/business visa. Also, if one applies for a Tourist Visa at a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate while on a visa exempt stamp, does one need to exit and reenter the country?

Thanks again!