Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you read? the law doesn't prevent a 49 year old from marrying a 18 year old person but it prevents a 51 year old one from marrying a 49 year old one. Thai people need to stand up to politicians who treat them like small children, age difference can be a problem in a relationship and so can other factors be, but these are private matters and none of the government's business. Poverty is the main reason for some of this marriages, polticians can begin solving poverty by stealing less, being less corrupt and by making laws that serve the people.

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

i have been monitoring this thread since 7am

the first suggestion of it being and April fool came on page 3

In reality it was the very first reply after the OP. The delete button was getting red hot. :D

I also posted a reference to April Fool's Day around 7.45 this morning, and I now see that it's disappeared. Maybe the Mods can post a "top ten" of who rumbled this one this morning?

Over 600 posts already. I would say it has been a very successful April Fool's joke.

the first suggestion of it being and April fool came on page 3, from member Tatsujin

i came back 20 minutes later and it had been deleted

i was the second person to suggest it was an April fools joke on page 4

it was deleted, i kept refreshing the pages and watched the mods delete any of the very few suggestions in the subsequent pages that it was an April fool on TV

meantime reading all the passionate outpourings from some well known to be be outspoken TV members who had been completely taken in by this ruse

i left at just after 9am this morning and the thread was on page 9

its now 3-50pm, the threads on page 25 and some TV members are still discussing it like it was genuine

just how gullible are you people?

It's a classic tall tale from George and the team and illustrates the level of intelligence and instinctive paranoia of the average TV poster.

i bet he simply cannot believe what he is reading here............

A tad harsh there towards the end of your post but essentially correct. I also saw the same things that you did and it seems to me to confirm that people like to post (speak) rather than read (listen), indeed there's a link to IQ in there somewhere. Regardless, another fine spoof by George and co, it's too bad we'll have to wait another year for the next one, I really enjoyed the Dongle spoof of a couple of years ago, it really got me going there for a while.

the first suggestion of it being and April fool came on page 3, from member Tatsujin

it was deleted, i kept refreshing the pages and watched the mods delete any of the very few suggestions in the subsequent pages that it was an April fool on TV

meantime reading all the passionate outpourings from some well known to be be outspoken TV members who had been completely taken in by this ruse

its now 3-50pm, the threads on page 25 and some TV members are still discussing it like it was genuine

It's a classic tall tale from George and the team and illustrates the level of intelligence and instinctive paranoia of the average TV poster.

As soon as I read the headline in the TV email I burst out laughing - I have April Folls marked in my calendar so always looking out for what may come along.

I was going to wrote something (roughly) like this (below), but my phone rang and then I get sidetracked with work:

"A Positively Really Intelligent Law For Organising Our Lives better."

I wonder if George would have snipped it (being a little bit subtle)

So what age Thai woman can you marry if you're over 50?

For you eeeeer 51. :lol:

Apparently her Grand is benefiting.....

look what you guys have done....

The web server is acting up.... cos of overloaded in the capacity....hahaha

amused....

Edited by dunkin2012

Not surprising, like many have said, however, IF this goes through, it will back-fire for sure. And, it will be really sad for those true relationships that are based on love...

One other note: The article never mentioned anything about a Thai above (or near) 50 years old marrying a younger farang...hmm.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe ......!

Another stupid idea? should, spend the time sorting out the country first!

Forget the age differance side of this, most Thai women want to marry older Foreigners for securtiy, they have.

What about these people, that have families already and want to marry to take care of there children and cannot marry.

What do the goverment want you to do, say bye-bye and leave them in a mess or what?

I hope someone thinks with there brains? not there backsides.

In reality it was the very first reply after the OP. The delete button was getting red hot. :D

i bet it was, how many of you were on the job?

for me it wasn't the fact that it was April fools today that did it for me

it was the fact it was suggested that it was proposed today and be made into law on May 1st

now anyone who has been here a while knows that Thais and especially Thai politicians do not move that fast................

Edited by timekeeper

Not surprising, like many have said, however, IF this goes through, it will back-fire for sure. And, it will be really sad for those true relationships that are based on love...

One other note: The article never mentioned anything about a Thai above (or near) 50 years old marrying a younger farang...hmm.

The article never mentioned it because it's a

JOKE! An APRIL FOOL!

How many times must it be said? :rolleyes:

"In many cases they are old enough to be their father" ( or grandfather) but hey, I'm not casting stones. :)

"If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand," I'm not sure how farangs who don't have 800,000 baht in the bank can be a burden. It's not like in the U.S., where a quite a few Thai's draw welfare checks and food stamps, which they don't have in Thailand. I would need an explanation on that statement please.

How about they put that proposal on a nation wide ballot. Think it would fly?

you guys are forgetting it's April 1st...fool's day today....this is clearly a joke...:-)

Playing along....any such anti-inheritance rules would drive Thai wives to insure sugar daddy and then cap him. Wow, no more waiting. Just what Thail ladies' Thai boyfriends and real Thai husbands (aka "my brother somchai") have been waiting for.

Top prize goes to Tompa and siampolee as not only the first two posters to realize it was a joke but the first two posters period. :)

And, as April Fools jokes go, got to keep the myth going until noon :)

i bet it was, how many of you were on the jkob?

it was the fact it was suggested that it was proposed today and be made into law on May 1st

now anyone who has been here a while knows that Thais and especially Thai politicians do not move that fast................

No, the May 1st date was a giveaway, Labour Day - Public Holiday.

Top prize goes to Tompa and siampolee as not only the first two posters to realize it was a joke but the first two posters period. :)

And, as April Fools jokes go, got to keep the myth going until noon :)

well done boys, i bet you are laughing at all the red faces around around this place..................

Thanks timekeeper but I'm sure I wasn't the first to state it was a joke.

I bet George is sitting in a bar right now, drink in hand, laughing his ass off at all the red faces in here lol

I also posted a reference to April Fool's Day around 7.45 this morning, and I now see that it's disappeared. Maybe the Mods can post a "top ten" of who rumbled this one this morning?

Over 600 posts already. I would say it has been a very successful April Fool's joke.

Been translated into several languages and has been repeated on sites all around the world. :partytime2:

So does that mean that a foreigner over 50 cannot marry any Thai national regardless of age?

e.g Foreigner 51 and Thai woman 45 cannot get married?

That would seem ridiculous!

"Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai. Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls

That's what it says. Will they cancel my marriage when I'm turning into 51?????

i bet it was, how many of you were on the jkob?

No, the May 1st date was a giveaway, Labour Day - Public Holiday.

May 1st is on a Sunday this year, the holiday is carried over to the Monday

they still do not move that quick..........

Been translated into several languages and has been repeated on sites all around the world. :partytime2:

Holy.......................sh*T.................

The article never mentioned it because it's a

JOKE! An APRIL FOOL!

How many times must it be said? :rolleyes:

No Jim - you haven't been around very long, this is a highly plausible story. Especially following the lead of the Cambodians.

The Thai government is, of course, shooting itself (or it's lady residents) in the foot. There are far more benefits that accrue to a Thai wife who is married to a Falang after the death of the Falang. They cannot claim these if unmarried.

As I said to my better half "som nom naar" because of your government YOU will lose and Mama will not get the 10 Baht of gold and 500k sin sot that I planned for next year. :lol:

She, of course, blamed ME (not her government) and called me Falang khee niao :jap:

Happy April 1st.